PS3 Controller Support (WIP)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by AhMan, Oct 22, 2012.

?

Using PS3 Controller for iOS games?

1. Not interest in using the PS3 Controller.

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. I like to use the PS3 Controller, but will not jailbreak my iOS device for this.

21 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. I will use the PS3 Controller to play games on iOS, but only if its free.

22 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I will purchase such as app for a reasonable amount in order to use the PS3 Controller.

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. AhMan

AhMan Member

Oct 21, 2012
    #1 AhMan, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    I'm currently working on supporting the PS3 Sixaxis/Dualshock Controller in iOS. After browsing through the forum, there seems to be many different solutions in using controllers. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in using the PS3 Controller to play iOS games (iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch). The app will allow you to map the PS3 controller buttons to onscreen soft touches, so it should work with most games. However, this will require a jailbroken iOS device in order for the PS3 controller to work.

[Update]
    Here is a video on how it works.
    http://youtu.be/mpKST66UoYo

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    When you say "I will purchase such an APP..." Do you mean an app in Cydia?

3. No, make it for everyone, not just jailbroken idevices! Please!

4. AhMan

AhMan Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Yeah, it will be released in Cydia, due to jailbreak requirement.

5. AhMan

AhMan Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I wish I could, but it is impossible to do without jailbreak. Without jailbreak, you can't simulate screen touches and send it to another app. The other is Apple Bluetooth stack.

6. Darn, just don't really want to jailbreak. But go for it!

7. EeeK

EeeK Active Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Any updates? If not, guys go to this url and show your support.

8. AhMan

AhMan Member

Oct 21, 2012
    The driver part is basically done. That is, the PS3 controller can communicate with the iPad via Bluetooth (Thanks to BTStack by Matthias Ringwald). I still need to work on the GUI. Currently, it's emulating iCade controller and will work with games designed for iCade. My final goal is to allow you to map PS3 buttons to onscreen touches.

Here is a video on how it works.
    http://youtu.be/mpKST66UoYo

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    That is so awesome and just what I've been waiting for!

10. Bassman97

Bassman97 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2012
    none
    You dont need to know
    Thought I'd never have to do this but I might have to jailbreak, I'm not really that excited about jail breaking, by the way can any thing bad happen?

11. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    This is great news, can't wait to be able to potentially use blutrol with the ps3 controller! And with GTA Vice City so close...

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I thought exactly the same before jailbreaking... But basically, as long as you only install very well known applications or tweaks, nothing bad can happen to your device. I was even confident to JB my new ipad as soon as it was available. Screw the warranty, it's worth it.

13. Bassman97

Bassman97 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2012
    none
    You dont need to know
    How big is the file that you download off the Internet and does your iPhone/iPod lag?

14. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    The only downside to Jailbreaking is that Santa will know you haven't been a good boy and might not bring you that Minecraft Lego set for Christmas

15. EeeK

EeeK Active Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Wow this looks real! Do you have a twitter/blog/... to follow updates? Hit me up if you need someone to do testing, I'm using a iPhone 4 here, JB of coz.

16. EeeK

EeeK Active Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Does the IOS Settings > Bluetooth shows the pairing with the PS3 controller?

If yes, can you also show the video with it?

17. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Sounds fantastic - would be awesome!

18. i1mran92

i1mran92 New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    definitely a yes for me! that would be totally awesome. its even more awesome if there was some kind of blog to or website to keep it updated. really jealous of those gameklip. it would be really awesome it was available on the iphone. hope to see an update soon! :D

19. spik3yBen

spik3yBen New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    sounds great

Great work so far keep it up, would be more than happy to purchase app/donate to project.

Anywhere we can check for updates on the project ?