Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Would be interested in this too... on other (older) mobile platforms, MIDI wasn't supported in DOSBOX ports because of the very high CPU needs. Hope the latest hardware can already play midi samples without problems. I don't think it'll work though...

2. scarnie

scarnie Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    With the dynamic core, are you generating ARM code and executing it? I didn't think the Apple SDK allowed that - cool.

BTW, did you have a discussion with Apple about using iTunes file sharing, and was it accepted based on that? I have wondered if that would be allowed.

Cheers,

Stu

3. kahdmus

kahdmus Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    What is the path to the idos dir rather than using itunes? Cheers!

4. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Thanks for the manual. Just tried Warcraft. It does work on the iPhone 4, although a bit slow. :) Love this.

5. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Tank wars anyone?

6. scarnie

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    This is exactly what I am wondering - there is no way an Apple reviewer would probably even know where to begin to test this or download "abandonware", so it's probably slipped through the cracks. I was explicitly told we couldn't download any content (for the BASIC update) - so grab it while it's hot.

I really hope it is okay though, as it opens up real possibilities for us :)

Cheers,

Stu

7. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Populous 2 works! It runs too fast by default though. Populous (1) does not work it seems.

8. It would definitely set a precedent -- though if it manages to slip by Apple beyond today and for any length of time that's no guarantee Apple will just say "To hell with it!" and drop that rule. It's not like this makes new case law or anything. If anything else Apple will just say "Whoops, missed that one. *yoink*" and go about their business.

I just hope it lasts long enough until either my wife can download it onto my iPad (she's napping right now, damn the luck) or I can get home and do it myself.

9. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Lemmings does work too, sound is a bit slow and stuttering though. :)

10. scarnie

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Do you have an iPhone - the app is universal! I just did :)

11. jackiemac

jackiemac Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 19, 2009
    It would be awesome if it had support for bluetooth keyboards. It would make controlling games a bit better than the onscreen soft keyboard. :)

12. scarnie

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Being on TouchArcade, which has plenty of traffic on its own, we may see it removed quickly if Apple still considers this a violation. If it makes it to TUAW, Engadget, Gizmodo or Wired - it won't take long at all. I still have nightmares about when it happened to us :)

13. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Yikes, the front page of TA has screen shots of it running Windows. Given this, I have a feeling this will just push Apple over the edge to have it taken down...

A few more hours and it could be mine! *cries*

14. Yeah, but they're split in the App Store. If I download it to my iPhone then I've downloaded the iPhone version; if I transfer that purchase to iTunes and then copy it to my iPad, it will copy the iPhone version. I have to either download it from iTunes to get both versions, or download it on my iPad directly to get the iPad version. I had this problem with a bunch of other apps when I first got my iPad.

15. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    A violation of what? Apple is going to piss me off if they pull this. :mad:

Oops!

You guys could have at least tried a Linux distro. :D

16. scarnie

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Not at all - this is a Universal app (identified by the + in the price), so it is the full, Universal binary - there is only one version of the file - I can assure you!

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Gizmodo just reposted my post from this morning. Download this shit now if you want it.

18. Mogki

Mogki New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Anybody tried running Nesticle or ZSNES (or any other DOS based emulator for that matter) from within it yet?

19. NightSavage

NightSavage Active Member

Sep 26, 2009
    A step-by-step tutorial would be nice =D.
    I've never tried playing any DOS games so I have no clue how to run them.

20. So if I transfer this purchase to iTunes and then sync it to my iPad it'll work properly on the iPAd? I really hope so 'cos I have a feeling this isn't long for this world at all now that it's garnering a lot of attention. I'm just waiting to see Engadget and Giz pick it up -- if they get it in time.