Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Bronxsta Bronxsta is offline
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,707
Default Free games that are too generous, what should a developer do?

I'm posting this as both a discussion and a brainstorming thing to help out the 1Path developer. It seems like the game is the kind that's free but so generous that IAP is necessary, just like how Bug Heroes 2 and Punch Quest were

So what do you think a dev should do? In the thread, I suggested:
- Add a doubler
- Add a premium IAP for access to future content
- Make the game paid

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 AM
SherlockEB SherlockEB is online now
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
I'm posting this as both a discussion and a brainstorming thing to help out the 1Path developer. It seems like the game is the kind that's free but so generous that IAP is necessary, just like how Bug Heroes 2 and Punch Quest were

So what do you think a dev should do? In the thread, I suggested:
- Add a doubler
- Add a premium IAP for access to future content
- Make the game paid

Any other ideas?
Make the game less generous, add a doubler
And make it paid or add an iap for next levels
Or add premium currency, let people be able to earn it by playing but make it slow and make sure access to cool stuff is through premium currency
It's sad that should be done. But that's the market.

Last edited by SherlockEB; 03-06-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Jorlen Jorlen is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 894
Default

I always prefer the coin doubler, or removal of ads as support. I hate consumables.

Or, what Survival by Trial did, where you get a package that removes ads, give you a dog that helps you out and a few starter weapons for $4. An excellent way to support the game and the base version can be a good trial run to see if you like the game.

Other ideas:

- If it's an RPG with random loot, a paid IAP can add an extra loot table for a chance at super-rare awesome items

- Extra characters like what Warhammer Quest does (I know it's not a low priced game but still)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 AM
mr_bez mr_bez is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,116
Default

Add a doubler? I pretty much completed it (174/180 stars) and didn't use a single power up, so wouldn't be interested in a doubler.

I've never gone for the whole consumable power up approach (a.k.a. pay to cheat) so the only thing that would interest me would be additional paid levels.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Astarea Astarea is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherlockEB View Post
Make the game less generous, add a doubler
And make it paid or add an iap for next levels
Or add premium currency, let people be able to earn it by playing but make it slow and make sure access to cool stuff is through premium currency
It's sad that should be done. But that's the market.
Instead of making them slowly build premium currency, you can also let them watch a video instead of paying for recurring items/services.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Zentatsu Zentatsu is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philippines
Posts: 235
Default

A trial levels is a good idea, like 10-20 free levels then add advertisements. Pay to unlock the rest and all the upcoming levels via update and removes advertisements. For a puzzle game, pay for another set of level isn't that appealing anymore in my opinion though it is really the dev to decide.

DLC is much acceptable rather than consumable items for gamers, like instead of having a currency in game why not add 6 power-ups and 2 to choose from in each levels(3 for premium users).

Note: this is just my opinion for puzzle games in general, I haven't try your game yet but It is in my watch list right now.. Pretty busy atm.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:36 PM
SherlockEB SherlockEB is online now
Senior Member
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarea View Post
Instead of making them slowly build premium currency, you can also let them watch a video instead of paying for recurring items/services.
Or let them see an add. Yeah it's doable but you've got to have plenty of people who plays the game.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Topherunhinged Topherunhinged is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bez View Post
Add a doubler? I pretty much completed it (174/180 stars) and didn't use a single power up, so wouldn't be interested in a doubler.

I've never gone for the whole consumable power up approach (a.k.a. pay to cheat) so the only thing that would interest me would be additional paid levels.
Exactly. Make a paid add-on.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 PM
vbnn2 vbnn2 is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VietNam
Posts: 39
Send a message via Skype™ to vbnn2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
I'm posting this as both a discussion and a brainstorming thing to help out the 1Path developer. It seems like the game is the kind that's free but so generous that IAP is necessary, just like how Bug Heroes 2 and Punch Quest were

So what do you think a dev should do? In the thread, I suggested:
- Add a doubler
- Add a premium IAP for access to future content
- Make the game paid

Any other ideas?
Thanks Bronxsta for making this topic, recently i'm considering about some choice, you guy can help me choose
- Add 20-30 level with new feature (the boss and the virus, and maybe something like cactus) and make it paid version or ads + remove ads
- Add more 60 level with 1$ to unlock (you guy finish the first 60 very quick, maybe i make it harder)

@Bronxsta: i would like to invite you to be an tester when new version coming.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent