Test
Test result: F

:P
Old 07-25-2014, 05:35 AM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorkbot View Post
Glorkian Warrior got great press and lots of it, but most importantly it was a featured app on the app store for the first week. It had great sales as long as it was a featured app... around a thousand downloads a day or so. But then it dropped off to trickle as soon as it left the app store front page.
We had more or less the same experience with our first game: good download numbers while it was featured and not much after that. I don't even want to think what would have happened if we never got featuread at all...

Last edited by AxBattler; 07-25-2014 at 05:57 AM..
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 AM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Thanks for the post Rob.

Looks like 'discoverability' is still a major issue.

(Fingers crossed for my game)
Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 AM

If your morale is low, just watch this lecture by Rami Israil (Vlambeer) over and over again.
http://vimeo.com/101391138

See failure only as an opportunity to get better. It's like chess, you progress faster when you lose.

Last edited by pated; 08-04-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to tadej

Thanks for sharing. Post-mortems are so valuable and helpful, hopefully this one gives you a bit of traction for your next game.

Good luck with Noir Run!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:57 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

I appreciate everything being shared in this space. I created my first game as a learning experience as well. It took about 9 months to "complete" it. However, it was released way too soon.

As new developers, we may tend to get too excited when we have our temporary images/sounds, etc. all in place AND the core functionality working like a charm. Releasing the app before it's ready is way too easy.

Just speaking from my own experience, I definitely overlooked some major flaws in the graphical presentation initially.

I eventually teamed up with someone who allows me to focus on the core development. This will be useful going forward.

Before my "corrections", I already had an unrelated "mobile device" website which allowed me to communicate directly to around 1500 individuals. The twitter following is at around 250 right now. Between the newsletters and tweets, it resulted in about 100 downloads.

There are around 10,000 visitors per month to my site. These numbers aren’t great, but it was better than nothing at all, as a brand new dev with my own banner ads.

I would send out monthly newsletters regarding other topics and it wasn't unusual to casually include other promotions, especially regarding apps/games.

I'm relieved that spending big money on promoting is not THE solution for independent devs. Following published style guidelines and understanding the importance of collaboration helps.

Anyway, I look forward to sharing and learning as a developer. Thanks for your insights.

Last edited by d_henry; 08-29-2014 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Whatever you do i would make sure you get some testers who are not friends or family. I see a lot of games where the devs friends/family must praise whatever they create and they dont sometimes see some basic issues.

The feedback would be great and could make your game better

I'm not normally one for amazing graphics (i love basic retro style graphics) but i do admit on this one the graphics/text font all looks quite basic.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Whatever you do i would make sure you get some testers who are not friends or family. I see a lot of games where the devs friends/family must praise whatever they create and they dont sometimes see some basic issues.

The feedback would be great and could make your game better

I'm not normally one for amazing graphics (i love basic retro style graphics) but i do admit on this one the graphics/text font all looks quite basic.
This is extremely important.

Never get your friends or people who aren't keen on offending you, because you will not get the proper criticism your game needs to polish it.

I highly suggest you get on Reddit (/iOSGaming or /AndroidGaming or other related subs) and post your game, ask for beta testers and give them some time to provide feedback.

Anyhow, I'm also a new indie dev, just released a game I've been working on this year: Star Nomad, a sandbox spacesim.

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=896041751&mt=8

No reviews on sites, no features on Apple.. I made a mistake not to seek out iOS review sites well ahead of time or give them playable preview versions etc. I've only advertised it on Reddit & Touch Arcade forum & IGM forum, so it looks like its destined to fail.

ps. I absolutely refuse to pay for reviews or fake ratings. So many solicitation emails.