App gross statistics?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MexicanJesus, Mar 13, 2010.

1. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I see many members throwing around figures about how other peoples apps are making X amount of money a day, or how x amount of days in number 1 position equals Y amount of money to total Z amount of money in W amount of time. I am interested where these figures come from? Is there some site with averages or an statistically estimated value for any given app? Quite frankly I'm just interested in where these figures are coming from. Only way I would be able to estimate how much an app has grossed would be number of ratings multiplied by price of app times 0.7 (but even that leaves out factors such as people who did not rate it, and ratings from sales, promocodes, ect.)

just wondering where people are getting these numbers from.

2. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    a lot of people dont review...take pocket god for instance.....36000 reviews and about 1.5 million downloads

3. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Some games include analytics tracking code, such as Flurry, so Flurry has a good idea about how many sales each app has and can make headlines with such news...

Otherwise, some devs in the past have released their full detailed sales figures. For example, Flight Control Sales Numbers. This allows people to guess how many sales it takes to get to a certain store ranking.

4. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

About 10% of people who purchase give it a star rating and 30% of them actually bother to write a review. The crappier the app the higher the statistic though (since it makes you rate when you delete).

At least as far as I've noticed anyway.

5. NJ Software

NJ Software Member

Sep 26, 2009
    iPhone app developer
    There's a website that shows top 500 regular and gross ranking for each category and country. I'm pretty sure I read about it here on this forum, but the poster was later banned (maybe because he/she was advertising his own site?). I think it's okay for me to post about it, since I'm not associated with that developer. But if it's not, mods, please let me know or delete this post. Thanks!

You can find the rankings here:

http://www.appannie.com/top/

The data is free right now because they're in beta. I'm not sure if it will be free later. If you search for a particular app, it shows you its daily and highest regular and gross ranking (up to rank 1000) for every category and country that it's in.

I don't know where/how they get their data. It seems to have data back through the middle of last year (2009). There's a lot of information, and it's interesting to look at for those that like to analyze stuff like this.

6. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    If you have less than 100 posts and you talk about a not well known game or website, my guess is that most people will assume you're shilling.

7. NJ Software

NJ Software Member

Sep 26, 2009
    iPhone app developer
    I hope you're talking about the person that was banned and not me, lol. I'm a longtime mobile developer and recent iphone app developer and have identified myself as such on these forums in the past. You can also see the link to my website in my sig.

I only posted about the rankings site because I've found it has useful, free info on it that I couldn't find elsewhere, such as gross rankings, which was the topic of this thread, and I wanted to share it with other devs here. I'm definitely not shilling for that site. :O

8. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    AppAnnie is a great stats site; just check it out instead of judging others based on their post count.

9. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    The rate on delete feature also generates lots of anonymous good reviews when users upgrade from lite versions.

10. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Except you can always press cancel.