Why Flash on main site?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by menom, Aug 3, 2011.

1. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Hi

I've just got a macbook air 11 and sometimes have that with me rather than the iPad.

I still like to check out TA via the Air but as it don't have flash - all the videos show plugin missing.

I'm not going to install flash plugin as battery life on this Air is even more critical to me as I'm using it for editing work.

Seeing as H264 is served to iOS devices, why is flash still the default for laptops etc - is there a way I can request non-flash site without changing Safari user agent string to mobile safari - which i don't want to do for viewing full sites elsewhere

cheers

menom

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #2 Teknikal, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    I know it's not really my place to reply here but I experimented with Safari a while back and used a safari extension called youtube5 it sounds like what you might be after.

http://www.verticalforest.com/2010/10/27/youtube5-version-2/

The extension worked quite well but I overall found safari much to slow and buggy to keep with it.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We use YouTube because it works so well with iOS devices. Opt in to the HTML 5 version and all of your wildest dreams will come true- http://www.youtube.com/html5

4. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Thanks Eli,

I remember doing that with my desktop mac some time back - my short term-memory loss is getting longer!

5. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Cheers Teknikal,

I'll go with the Youtube HTML5 opt-in for now as I think it worked before on the desktop - but i'll keep that link to hand as another option

6. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Click to flash is excellent too. It replaces many videos on sites(including youtube) that use flash with html5 so give that a try as well.

Youtube5 is great too but it only works with youtube.

7. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    thanks Watabou

I had click to flash on the old Powerbook G4 - but having read Gruber's point on Daring Fireball, I'm going to keep the flash plugin off my machine -

that way web designers / admin sees more people going to their sites not seeing their content if it's flash only - with click to flash they don't know that it's been blocked

It's a way of speeding up the transition away from flash full stop (in theory)

8. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    PS. Clicking to join the Youtube HTML5 thing and getting the message that I'm now opted in didn't work

I still get blank bits with 'Plugin missing' message

9. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    #9 Watabou, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    Try not joining the youtube html5 trial. You shoudn't need it if you're using safari with youtube5. It automatically converts flash videos to h264.

I don't have flash either on my mac and I use Firefox and joined the html5 youtube trial. It works great for toucharcade's video links. I see all of them in html5. I still see the plug in missing on some videos that don't have html5 enabled and if I absolutely need to view them, I use Chrome, which has a built in flash plugin, which seems like the only good think about it. haha.

10. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Yeah decided to go with Chrome as a 'Break in case of emergency' app

cheers

11. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Even the ones about superheroes, fast cars, hot chicks and explosions? :p

12. eisa01

eisa01 Member

Jan 17, 2009
    It doesn't work without Flash because touch arcade is using the old youtube embed code. They need to update it to the new, as I posted about earlier this spring, but that seemed to go unnoticed.

13. Cue

Cue Member

Apr 20, 2009
    It's 2014 and still can't view any videos on Safari for OS X without the flash plugin.

What gives toucharcade?

14. gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Male
    Former Apple Technology Evangelist
    #TeamGB
    I also don't have Flash installed and none of the videos on the main site show in my browser. I'd rather you guys upgraded to the latest YouTube embed code rather than us have to use Chrome or install Flash.

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't have Flash installed either, all of our videos have HTML5 versions. I'm on the latest version of Safari. What browser are you using?

16. gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Male
    Former Apple Technology Evangelist
    #TeamGB
    #16 gingerbeardman, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014