Games that are truly fun

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coolpepper43, Apr 6, 2016.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I want to know games that you think are truly fun. What I'm saying is,
    games that put a smile on your face the entire time you play, not just when you beat a level.

2. Sunethra_Boyinova

Sunethra_Boyinova New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Community Manager
    Prague, Czech Republic
    The Simpsons Arcade is fun:D:D:D

3. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    This War of Mine and A Dark Room. Oh wait, hold on...

While there have been countless games on iOS that I love, only a few have never raised a frown or curse word. Tiny Thief was adorable. Super Phantom Cat is similarly bright from start to finish. Crashlands was an absolute blast all the way to end (apart from when I spent several fruitless hours trying to fish for the megagong weapon).

As for ports, The World Ends With You is one of those rare RPGs where I was never grinding - I was just having fun with the battle system, and accidentally levelling up along the way. I'll add Phoenix Wright (the first one) and Ghost Trick too - both a joy to play. I'd add Ys Chronicles 1 - that bump attack brings a smile to my face, and the music is great - if it weren't for the bats...

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If one was smiling all the time while playing, it's either a really fun game, or a nut job player. LOL

Seriously though, even the most fun games, when played alone (which is 90% of the time in my case), i never smile. Maybe giggle at keypoints, but not all the time. :)

That said, here are games that make my me smile on the inside all the time:

Wave Wave and Super Hexagon: These high adrenaline games always makes me happy whether it's dying in a few seconds, or almost reaching my own high scores, and the phat beats lend a hand as well.

Race The Sun and Boson X: The trippy visuals combined with speed and adrenaline pump makes these some of the most fun games for me. These are basically the less abstract versions of Super Hex and Wave Wave for me, but equal in terms of making my inner child happy each time i play them.

Wrestle Jump: When played with my wife or my 2 year old son, there's nothing but giggles here and there, and a few bursts of laughter in between.

Fruit Ninja: I fire it up and let my 2 year old play it, and magic happens. He screams "slice fruits, slice fruits!" a lot while furiously swiping until he'd spot a watermelon and stop swiping, pointing at the watermelons calling the out to me "Papa watermelon!" :)

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    What really got me smiling was Snap Pals.

6. stormyspop1

stormyspop1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Monkeyrama
    The Executive
    Wedding Escape (even though the gameplay is simple, the little nuances make me giggle every time I play it)
    DragonHills(that is a well put together game IMO)
    Thumb.Run(it hasn't gotten a lot of exposure, but it's fun and simple)
    Knightmare Tower(I've beaten it so many times, but it never gets old)
    Icycle
    Dandy (it's challenging, but it's such an adorable game)

7. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Thomas Was Alone was one of those games for me. When a game can actually make you feel something, you know it's special.

For pure unadulterated fun...
    Ridiculous Fishing and Knightmare Tower

8. eddag

eddag Active Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Head of a small studio
    Warsaw, Poland
    transport tyccon
    fallout shelter
    WWR
    Smash hit
    These games always amuse me, and always put smille on my face :D

9. Hedron Engineer

Hedron Engineer Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    How can The Journey Down not have been mentioned yet?

Also, maybe not necessarily a smile, but Tennis Champs Returns has me "mentally invested" while playing like few games have in the entire 25-30 years I have been playing video games. It actually makes me feel like I am actually playing a sport minus the sweating and getting tired. I admit I actually sometimes find myself sayin "good shot" to my phone out loud, which makes people on the train look at me funny #

10. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #10 Leegames, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Asphalt 8 - The rush, the craziness, the I'm-so-close-to-being-Burnout:Takedown-on-speed
    Hunters 2 - Awesome music and just great to play in all aspects
    Storm in a Teacup - Cozy platformer
    Horizon Chase - Don't care if I win, just like the retro fix and the music
    Sky Force - Looks great and the music + meditative shooting makes me happy
    Plasma Sky - See above
    Realistic Summer Sports Simulator - Usually need friends & beer, then more like laughing our asses of than smiling.

So maybe I don't smile all the time playing them, but these games make me happy about being a gamer.