Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Whoa Nelly!

While I can't claim this with 100% assurance, but it would initially appear this uninstall/reinstall actually fixed the craziness and would explain why I haven't seen more than just a few fellow folk whining about my specific craziness. I have played a few games of both No Good Gofers and Funhouse without any weirdness. :D

I'm sure I'll have to take this back in a few hours but am still hopeful at this point (if nothing else, the screw ups are definitely much rarer at this point, i.e. not every other game).

2. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, I think I finally get it since somebody on Facebook broke it down for me. The problem of multiple balls in the launch lane at start is DIRECTLY related to remaining locked balls on this table from your last game on this table moments before (hence why it never happens on the first game on a table or one where the locks were emptied via some multiball).

So if this is not your first game on the table in this session and you see 2 or more balls in the launch lane, hit Menu, quit game, and then simply start a new game without fear of this crap sneaking up on you agian mid game.

3. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    The Question of the month, where is the table of the month? It's the end of october an it seems, there won't be any tables released in october. I hope twilight zone will be out this year. They took our money, so they should deliver it. Delays, always delays, I hate that.

4. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Creating a new table from scratch will most likely take quite a while. There is no way in hell they will deliver Twilight Zone this year. They need to do a lot of administrative tasks to even get started properly (Licensing contracts, all the graphics, 3D, sounds etc.).

.. oh and they didn't TAKE your money, you GAVE it to them. Am I the only one constantly annoyed by the extremely impatient "I'M ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING! NOW!" generation of today? Grow up, get some patience.

Having said that.. Farsight need to hire some programmers who can write better code. Pinball Arcade is such a bugridden mess that it isn't even funny any more.

5. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    They should forget about releasing any new tables and spend a few months fixing all the little issues and oddities in the ones they've already released...

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I think with their latest bugfix release they got rid of most of the bugs. The app is great as it is right now.

7. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    One thing I'd really like to see changed would be a new menu for selecting the table you want to play. Just forget about the awesome scrolling tables gui and give me a straight, boring, completely un-animated list of tables that I can simply tap and load. Scrolling through the tables is a pita...

8. jeffy777

jeffy777 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    They're working on a new menu and they're also getting close to kicking off beta testing for The Twlight Zone, so it probably will be out this year.

The next two tables (Scared Stiff and Big Shot), have gone through beta testing already and should be out very soon. As others said, it takes a ton of work to make new tables, so just be patient and stop acting like a spoiled kid, lol.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Be patient ! Kickstarter campaigns mean you dont get the game instantly, plus as others have said it does take some time to create it/get the game through Apples approval process etc. I mean we're spoilt at the moment with is it 14 or so tables already. Just be patient !

You'll be the first to moan if the tables released quickly and is full of bugs

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Did they just re-release the v1.1.9?

11. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    New tables out.

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    The reason I've been impressed with this app is that I actually have played them when they were first made on the real tables years ago in the arcades here. Spent so many quarters and so much time on them. Still so many others I would love to see that go back further in time, but I feel lucky to be able to have these to play any time I want! Nostalgia for sure! The great detail makes me smile every time! I do agree that they should be dialed in better game play wise before releasing more tables, though.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    But have they addressed the game weirdness when starting a new game after having just played a game where some balls were locked but never released via a multiball? While I have yet to see the old "two balls on the plunger", it seems instead when in this same situation and I hit start the game goes into a demonstration mode that only quitting out and then restarting the table will get you out of.

Oh, and what is the "Post Processing" option all about?

14. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    No mentioning of bug fixes in the update description.
    The post processing option seems an experiment with light effects and such. An effort to make it look better at cost of performance(read unplayable).

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well happy theres another two tables out, just bought them this morning. Havent had the bugs above people have mentioned (yet).

Becoming a really nice collection of tables now, still annoying on the ipod touch i seem to get the white icon (then have to delete/re-install) whereas on my iphone it updates fine.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Where do I find that option?

17. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #1117 krautboy, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    In the options menu when selecting tables.

I really hope someone here who took the plunge and bought the pro menu for totan could shine a light on what it actually does. I would have bought it myself but thanks to the price increase on the dutch app store i'm €0.20 short^^.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It's in the Options of the Main Menu where you select a table, not in the options once you're actually loaded a specific table.

Supposedly it only shows up as an option for iPad 3 and beyond, and have to second the unplayable bit. Well, to be honest, I don't think the slowdown was game breaking, but it was pretty noticiable. So what do you get at the cost of this slow down? All of the colors become very muted. I'm guessing the idea is to really mute the colors so that the tables' lights will stand out better, but, to be honest, I didn't see the point of it myself.

19. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    There is a pro mode for tales of arabian nights. You have to pay 3.99 to have acess to the table menues. More than the table costs itself?
    Seems there is the possibility to change the difficulty from family to pro.
    For me, the family mode is a kind of demo.Now I should pay again and the double price of the table, just to get acess to the menue for changing the difficulty? Can't believe that. Congrats farsight, you are the first company who charges the people, for changing the difficulty in a game.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont think its that bad, i've got all the tables, not bothered by the pro menus though. Reading the description you get a fair bit extra for the pro version but i think for 'normal' players like myself its not needed. Probably good for the more hardcore pinball fan though