PSP and iPhone game quality

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mofard, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 mofard, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    There is a huge difference with the quality of psp and iphone games, seriously I play final fantasy crisis core and god of war on my psp rather than a bunch of mini games that last a couple of seconds on the iPhone.

But then there is the announcement of the psp sdk, and with the combination of exclusive sony content like little big planet etc. and with the smaller amount of people that are working on titles to release using the sdk, won't this create more high quality titles than the millions of junk apps on the iphone?

Plus, when do you guys think that games will be released that have as much replay value and nice controls as the psp (the top line psp games not the crappy ones)

2. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    The app store won't start producing PSP quality games until the pricing reflects it. In its current state, it is cloud cuckoo land to expect that type of quality I am sad to say.

I do, however enjoy very much many of the casual games that are on offer.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    ...the top line psp games not the crappy ones

This, here, is the main problem with your assessment of the PSP/iPhone game market. There are some great games on the PSP, and there are some really crappy "mini games" that last a couple of seconds on the iPhone. There are also some great games for the iPhones, and some really, really crappy ports on the PSP. The difference is that, back when I was playing on the PSP 1) I spend some serious money on some very, very bad games, and 2) even the best games were not well designed for a portable platform, with long missions and levels that had to be replayed from the beginning is you ever quit the game. For better or for worse, portable gaming is (for me at least), about pick-up-and-play, something that iPhone developers seem to understand better than PSP developers.

I should add, for all the (valid) complaining about FPS on the iPhone, I always thought that the genre is not very successful in the PSP as well.

4. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    my psp hasn't left my house for a quite a while now, while my ipod comes with me just about every time i leave the house.
    i agree, iphone devs are better at pick-up-and-play games than psp devs

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Different markets (portable game system market with PSP as opposed to mobile market with iTouch/Phone), different types of consumers, different wants/needs/desires as far as content, etc., etc., etc.

Blah blah blah. Broken record.

Oh, and I know the younger set is all about condensed (really not well thought out) arguments nowadays on the net ("give me info as quick as possible even when it's complete BS"), hence my shorthand of previous points I've made, but, honestly...can you make this topic seem any more like an obvious troll topic?

6. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    cloud cuckoo land....

That's a Robert Wyatt album!

7. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    It's also the eighth level from Banjo Tooie on the N64.

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I find it quite amusing that Apple didn't even intend to make a portable gaming device from the launch of the iPhone (as far as we know) yet they have been so successful with their app store and will continue to be successful with their 3GS which could make the PSP extinct. At least in my opinion.

Yes, the majority of the app store is full of crap. But there are some games which beat certain PSP games. F.A.S.T and 4X4 Jam are two good examples.

And with the new 3GS with the OpenGL and the iPod Touch 3rd gen probably coming soon, gaming on the iPhone/iPod Touch is going to get so much better.

9. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Ah yes, Robert Wyatt, the bearded legend:)

10. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    #10 Pug4Death, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    PSP > iPhone always in depth and gameplay.

EDIT: Read my posts in the upcoming pages.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Then you should not waste time posting on an iPhone gaming forum...

(And thanks for nicely illustrating spiffyone's point.

12. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #12 Prozak, Jul 15, 2009
    the thing what's so great about the iphone games is, that they are often updated with new content (depending on the dev), something that can't be done on the psp. You simply buy game X 2 instead of free updates

13. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #13 LBG, Jul 15, 2009
    No

Asphalt: Urban GT 2 on PSP:

[​IMG]

Need For Speed: Undercover on iPhone:

[​IMG]

I know it's comparing a crap PSP game with a good iPhone game, but it proves my point anyway.

edit: Just to make it fair (and prove my point, even more), I searched for a PSP screenshot of the same game - NFS: Undercover
    Here it is:
    [​IMG]

I think the iPhone/iPod Touch Still wins :D
    Never liked the grainy graphics on the PSP.

14. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    No offense, but I am beginning to think that that is a whole crock of shite. This whole up-date system seems like some sort lame excuse to fix what was broken, under the guise of an 'up-date'. What is that? Bugs? Extras content? Either way it stinks. Every game I have bought on the PSP, with the same level of research, has always resorted in me purchasing quality games....every time. I wish I could say the same about the app store.

15. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I didn't think Hero of Sparta was so great, all the reviews were screaming about how $10 is so little for such a supposedly PSP quality game

16. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    The iPod is capable of doing more than the ds and some games. Are better than the iPhone

17. tymurt

tymurt Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #17 tymurt, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    asdf

18. aboll2009

aboll2009 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    I dare you name 5 games on the ds that you didn't regret buying. I have 3 REALLY good games and the others are decent (GTA: CW, Worms 2:OW and KITN). Ive regretted maybe 3 iphone purchases. Heres the money wasted comparison:

30:1

Point proven

19. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Hey, I never said I didn't like the iPhone, correct? I was saying that a great deal of developers are afraid of actually attempting to bring quality games to iPhone. One game that impressed me and really made an impact was Metal Gear Solid Touch. Kojima knew and observed the iPhone and Apple's marketing, and created a casual game with such prestige, even though it wasn't faithful to the series. If you actually played it, you would see how all the pieces fit snugly and smoothly and work together to make a masterpiece in gaming. Such games belong on the App Store. Same with Doom Resurrection. That's what the consumer expects from an iPod/iPhone. Apple knows this as well. Just a fact. The iPhone and PSP are completely opposite in terms of entertainment and gaming. PSP is meant for Games, not really concentrating on the Media so much; the iPhone was initially meant as a Phone and Media player with Wireless networking, now it has games, don't expect it to be something its not. Simple.

20. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    lol, I didn't realise I had to take sides here:) I'm not a drone. Although I love my iPod and the potential it offers as a gaming device, am I not allowed to express some of my frustrations?...
    Dictatorial statements aren't necessary me thinks...