Any Speculation When Doom Will Be Out?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gekkota, May 1, 2009.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Now that Wolf 3D is on sale, I am deciding whether to get it, or wait for Doom.
    Anyone heard anything about a possible timeframe for its release (other than "fairly soon")?

And whatever happened to Prey? :confused:

2. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Probably some time in May.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I was just wondering that.

I will never have to buy another game when it comes out... unless the release Doom II.:)

4. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    haha lol.. yea i know i cannot wait for this release!! i got wolfenstein and must i say it is terrfici despite the graphics (i actually like the graphics the way they are!! lol) but i think they'll do a fabulous job on doom, and i'm getting this and live fire, and then, my life will be complete.... :) lol

5. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    just get wolf3d its awesome
    it went on sale and i bought it and now im having a hard time putting it down
    it will get you threw until teh D00M comes out
    :)

6. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Good question! this game looks sweet! i think mid to late may

7. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I haven't bought a game at release for some time now, Doom will probably be the exception. Get Wolfenstein, out of all the games it's the one that friends are like "Dude! You have Wolfenstein on your iPhone!"

8. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Hey ummm... what exactly is Doom? I wasn't around in that time era so don't really know much about it. What makes it so great excluding the nostalgia and memories from long ago?

9. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    One word.... shotgun :D

10. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    It's just a really well made game. Gameplay, graphics (for the time, I'm sure they'll be enhanced in iPhone version), it's a classic, watch a video. It's like Wolf3d in a better, open, interactive enviroment.

11. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    I am also too young to have played the original Doom but you can play it on your browser at this link. There is no downloading or anything just go to the website. It is actually pretty fun.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/mike_id/doom-1

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, I think for most of us that grew up with Doom, nostalgia is the biggest thing that makes us drool for this game. FPS games have evolved quite a bit since back in these days. Don't get me wrong, both this and Wolf 3D are great games in their own right. But they're getting to be 15+ years old. Back then, these games had lots of shock value which I think drew a lot of people to them. Wolf has you shooting Nazis and killing Hitler, there were swastikas on the walls and blood. Doom took that even further. You were battling demons from hell and there is pentagrams and occult stuff all over. Theres even more blood, and the baddies blow up in a wonderful ball of gore when you shot them with rockets or blow up barrels next to them. And then there was the BFG, one of the most EPIC weapons in any FPS (BTW that stood for Big Fu**ing Gun which also ruled). All these things combined made my adolescent 12 year old self giddy with glee.

Then, once you get past all these great things that drew you in, you find that these games are actually quite good. Fantastic control, great level design, great weapons. Doom especially has PHENOMENAL level design. Every levels not just flat like Wolf 3D, there are changes in elevation, tons of secret rooms, and small puzzle elements in the way of key cards you must acquire to proceed. It really is truly fun, even by todays standards. Also, Doom was esp popular amongst people cause it was one of the first games to have widespread online play. People were installing it on all their comps at work and playing Doom when they shoulda been working. I even remember seeing stories about the drop in productivity due to Doom on the news. For me, it was my first experience with online play, and then when Duke Nukem came out that really cemented my love of online deathmatches (can we get a port of THAT one someday please!). If the iPhone version of Doom ends up with online multi, I'm literally going to crap my pants while simultaneously crying for joy.

In short, Doom rules because:
    You fight hell spawns and eventually fight IN hell
    It's quite gory
    Awesome weapons
    Levels are fun to explore & find secrets
    Fast paced shooting

IDK, it's frickin DOOM, hard to put into words how much I truly love this game!! I could not imagine growing up without it and it will be purchased by me at the first available second at any cost.

13. theone1007

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Yeah I read up a little bit on it in Wikipedia. Seems like it was pretty gory back in the day, yet it was kinda like the father of FPS next to Wolfenstein. Sounds interesting enough, the screenshots on Wiki seems pretty good for 15+ years back and overall a nice idea. I'll see for myself when the game comes out I guess.

14. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Well, that about sums it up!
    Great post! :)

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Every guy from my generation died a little inside when you asked that:(

16. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London
    lol, i couldnt have put it better myself

17. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Wow that just convinced me to wait. I played Wolf on DOSBox and that was fun but this looks like the same thing just a lot better. If it's priced at <$5 I think I'll buy it. Or I'll remember that Livefire is coming in a couple of months and just deal with the 4 crappy FPS's I own now...

18. theone1007

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Sorry guys if I "killed" a little bit of all of you. I'll try to revive you guys with the doctor skills I don't have and by playing Doom. :D

19. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'll gladly TOFFT this one :D

20. Curses! Everytime I read the word Doom I'm always thinking of Diablo. I honestly don't care too much for Doom, I have played it on many platforms including the XBox360, PC, DS, and iPod Touch(jailbroken) already.