iPhone4 screen vs. 3G/S screen

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by globalist, Nov 30, 2010.

?

Do your fingers tend to get "stuck" on iP4's screen?

1. Yes, the screen's definitely a bit "rougher" than the 3G/S's

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. No, there's no difference compared to 3G/S as far as I can tell

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. globalist

globalist Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    #1 globalist, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    Now, this is not about resolution or crispness or perceived colorfulness. This is purely about the feel of the screen and the smoothness of touch/slide controls in games.

One thing I noticed when coming to iPhone 4 from my previous 3GS is that the 4's screen isn't as cooperative in games where you have to for instance slide fingers to move. What I mean is basically my finger(s) do not slide as smoothly and effortlessly on the surface of the screen. It's as if the coating was a bit different. Not so much as to make you frustrated, but not so little as to not to notice.

I feel the 3G/S had a more "greasy" feel to the screen, making it really easy to have your finger slide across the entire screen area without it getting stuck just a little bit. 4's screen seems a bit rough in this respect. Again, this is nothing big but I just need to know if I am the only one who perceives this small difference.

Thanks!

2. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    One thing I've noticed is the slightly yellow/warm colour balance it has. Not on all devices though.

I find it a bit annoying. I perhaps notice it more as I had a perfectly good screen on my original iPhone 4, but had to get a replacement after about 4 months of use as the home button stopped working. The replacement I just got yesterday has a noticeable yellow tint, especially in comparison to the iPad.

3. globalist

Jan 11, 2010
    No please no, let's keep this on topic pretty please!

4. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Apple has been known to play withthe color temperature both in software and hardware. My iTouch was cool, my 3GS too warm (like many others felt) and my i4 is somewhere in the middle (ie. seemingly more correct.) I dont have a color testing device small enough to measure the screen (I don't think, maybe I should try) so this is purely my experience talking.

5. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

As for the topic I seem to recal the 3GS being marginally slippier, while the itouch lacked the oleographic coating altogether (I think). In any case the screen is far better than anything I've tried before (touchscreen devices).

6. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    Oops sorry, I think I glossed over your first sentence!

7. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I noticed the texture difference when I first got my 4 but to be honest it was short-lived. It seems to have got more slippery as time has gone on. I had trouble for the first few days but then this seemed to stop. Not sure if it actually got more slippery or if I just adjusted and eventually didn't notice.

Not sure if that's much help but I would be interested to know if the OP feels the same with a bit of time passing.

8. halljames

halljames Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    UK
    When I got my iPod 4th Gen, I noticed that the screen was much less slippery than my iPhone 3GS, but as time has gone on, I can;t say that I notice it. Maybe its got sufficient finger grease on it it has now been "worn" in.

9. globalist

Jan 11, 2010
    Yes, slippery is the word I was looking for! (not being a native speaker, lol).

Thanks! So it seems at least some people do notice the 4 being a little bit less slippery than the 3G/S. It's nothing big as I said but I find myself playing less virtual pad games for instance on my 4, as it's not so easy to operate the virtual sticks any more.

10. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #10 ArcheAngel, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    I cant disagree more with this. I've had every gen of the iPhone & the 4th has the best screen when it comes to consistent sliding.

With previous gens, after cleaning off the screen natural moisture from my finger tips caused the screen to become quite resistant.

I noticed this more with the 3G & 3GS when I use to play eliminate non stop & remember not playing at times because my hands wern't dry enough to get a consistent flow. Mind you I'm talking very minor amounts of moisture. So it seemed like an intermittent problem, sometimes it would work well other times not. Even noticed it while scrolling through text via safari. It just felt gritty..sticky...even frictional.

In contrast the 4's screen has always had a smooth glide. My thumbs or fingers never get caught or stop in motion no matter if the screens dirty or clean, wether my hand is dry or moist.

Not to mention it's also more accurate when tapping from a zoomed out perspective. I noticed playing Gun Disassembly coming from 3GS to 4 that I didn't miss hit the smaller components as much on the 3GS & I also didn't have to zoom in as much to tap what I intended to tap.

iPhone 4's glass is far more superior.

11. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    As for the poll you created, you left out one demographic which is myself:

• you think iPhone 4's screen is better than the 3G S.

There's my vote

12. globalist

Jan 11, 2010
    Could it be my hands are different than yours, their natural moisture/dryness level being better suited for a 3G/S screen?

13. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    Don't know but I'm not apt to rule out the possibility.

14. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    Another thing I remember with previous gens is a lot more refraction (while back lit) from moisture streaks from sliding than with the 4.

The 4 seems to stay very clean when back lit.

15. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Same thing with me. My old 2nd Gen iPod Touch's screen would get so horrible sometimes, my fingers used to literally almost stick in place, never happens on my iPhone 4.

16. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    i hate when im playing a really intense round of modern combat 2 and my hands get all sweaty and it dirtys the screen and makes it all hard to play...super lame...pretty sure this problem happens on iphone4 and 3gs.