Any of you guys readers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Nov 30, 2012.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #1 JBRUU, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    In addition to gaming and other things, I really enjoy reading. This summer I reread through the Harry Potter books, being very bored, then went through Animal Farm and 1984 in addition to the Hunger Games and Fail-Safe. Tried plowing through The Idea of a University but I just couldn't :p

Then from this Fall onwards I've been doing a lot more serious reading, went through all of Dan Brown's novels (I really like his writing style and originality of plots; take Da Vinci Code for what it's worth to you) and currently reading through the Universe Next Door, John Locke - finished Two Treatises of Government and am now on The Reasonableness of Christianity - and Conan Doyle, The Man with the Twisted Lip (planning on reading though the rest of the Sherlock Holmes ASAP, no clue why I haven't before). Recently went through all of Joel Rosenburg's novels too, they're fairly good but the plots are moderately generic and there is little character development or really any interesting characters during the span of maybe a dozen 300-500 page books. Still occupied me on CD while doing dishes though :p

Other books I've really enjoyed in the past year or so have been Plato's Republic, the Greek classics such as the Iliad and Ainied (forget how to spell that one), Island on Bird Street, Hunger Games (fantastically well-written), Lord of the Rings, Run Baby Run, Mark Twain's books (especially Tom Sawyer), How Green was my Valley, Anne of Green Gables, Silas Marner, The Screwtape Letters (FUNNY!) and a bunch of others that I can't think of right now. I've been told the Game of Thrones books are really fantastic and I like the genre, might pick those up sometime, too. Also I need to finish Lord of the Flies. A few Dickens novels are also on my "to check out from library" list, too. I'll also read almost anything related to the Holocaust, biographies preferably.

So, any of you like to read? If so, what genres or authors?

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I occasionally read now and then. I used to read a LOT more back in the day, but now just whenever a book catches my attention. :p

I definitely dig the Hobbit and the LOTR books, I've read each of those about three times in my lifetime, lol.

I like some Agatha Christie mysteries, too, particularly the Poirit mysteries and And Then There Were None.

Also enjoy the Sherlock Holmes mysteries.

3. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    I'm a book lady and a writer, so I enjoy reading but now it's on my iPad instead of actual books.

Last books I read were on the paranormal and still haven't read through Stephen Kings book on JFK yet.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I used to read a lot, but the internet killed it for me. I've lost the patience. That said, I enjoy autobiographies provided the person in question isn't as boring as hell, and I've gone through a few Poe/Lovecraft stories quite recently.

5. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    I've read How Green Was My Valley, too. What a depressing book. :p

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes it is.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Used to read a lot before I got married and had a kid - recently I've been reading more thanks to my Kindle Touch that doesn't leave bedside (i.e. Mrs. Drelbs falls asleep, daughter gets to watch a move and Daddy gets to read!)

Best book I've read since I got it (and probably the best SciFi I've read in a looong time) was Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. I can't recommend that one enough.

I got Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi on the Humble eBook Bundle and it's a great collection of 'dismal future' short stories.

Currently reading Berlin Diary: The Journal of a Foreign Correspondent 1934-1941 by William Shirer, and it's a great first-hand almost day-by-day account of the events leading up to WWII.

The few moments I've spent with physical books recently have been with gamebooks - I was playing Fighting Fantasy: Seas of Blood by Steve Jackson until my daughter snatched my character sheet/bookmark, and I've got nice reprints of Fabled Lands 1-6 (by Dave Morris & Jamie Thomson) that are a joy to play. I really wish Meghara could get the rest of the books (3-6) added to the iOS version.

8. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Hmm... Wool Omnibus sounds interesting. Gotta check that one out.

Other cools sci-fi's I've enjoyed are Ender's Game and C.S. Lewis' space trilogy.

9. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    I'm not a fan of novels ( except maybe fratire :) ), but I do enjoy pop science books

10. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I have C.S. Lewis' space trilogy-excellent
    After high school I really picked up an interest in reading . I enjoy poetry, philosophy,books on art and artists, novels and science journals as well.
    Among my favourites are John Fowles, D.H Lawrence especially his poetry, Emily Bronte and John Keats, Søren Kirkegaard and Jacques Derrida, Richard Dawkins ( the God Delusion and The Greatest Show on Earth), Simon Blackburn( a great living philosopher) and I also enjoy Patrick McDonnel's comic strip Mutts because you can learn a lot while laughing!

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I read the last new dresden files book (cold days) yesterday also reading the passage at the minute (paused that to read the dresden book first).

Read a ton since I bought an ereader it's definitely made reading a lot more convenient.

12. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    You should check out the Ender's Game series, the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon), The Great Gatsby, The Things They Carried, A Series of Unfortunate events...

13. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

If anyone is a fan of fast-paced action novels, then i HIGHLY recommend you check out Matthew Reilly's novels, you WILL NOT regret it! :cool:

14. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    All I read is James Patterson and walking dead comics

15. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I enjoy China Mieville (Amazon) and Sci Fi books, but currently reading the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child (Amazon) which keeps me up at night, reading.

16. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Oh forgot those lol. What are your thoughts about Tom cruise in the movie?

17. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #17 Red1, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Given that Reacher is supposed to be tall, Cruise wouldn't have been my first guess. But, the trailer looked fun, especially at the end (Link). I'm not sure which of the Reacher books it's based on, but I'll be watching the movie. Reacher is like a ruthless military version of James Bond, so wouldn't be surprised if a few of the books become movies.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    My next author to read completely will probably end up being Grisham, I like the legal style thrillers. Just hoping for some variety and originality in plots. I've watched a few of the movie adaptations and they were pretty good, so hopefully the books will be better.

19. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    One shot is what is based on.

20. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Ahhh... that's the 9th book in the Reacher series. Haven't got that far yet. Only started reading them recently. I liked 'The Affair', then started reading them in order, from the start. Will try to read the book before seeing the movie.