iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Unless we run into some unforeseen issue, PzC iPad will be as fully featured as BA - with all the gameplay features, and cross-platform MP.

Cheers

Pip

2. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    My bet is that Panzer Corps will be similar to the PC version and will cost no more than $20, time will tell! :)

3. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Hmmm. I'm not sure where I stand on premium Panzer Corps pricing. On the one hand I have no problem paying "full" price for fully fleshed out wargames like BA and PC. Developers need to make good money in order to see more titles make the move to iOS.

One the other hand, while Panzer Corps is one of the best beer 'n pretzels wargames ever made, I don't know how many people would pay big money ($30+ expansions) to (re)play it on iOS. I know I would, but I have no idea where I might fit into the iOS wargame buyer graph.

Here's hoping Slitherine finds the perfect price point. The more successful they are, the happier we iOS wargamers will be. :)

4. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Never played Panzer Corps and if it comes with all the details and features like Battle Academy I for one will have no problem paying the same price for Panzer Corps as I did for Battle Academy

5. kludger

kludger Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I was an old fan of PG and love Panzer Corps on the PC and I really look forward to having a mobile version on iPad.

If it has the same full game depth and $20 pricing as Battle Academy it will be an instabuy for me, and I really look forward to it.

6. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Personally I think we are in danger of creating a debate about something we know nothing about. One mans 'premium' is another mans 'budget' lol.

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Well actually the way I see it is if the game IN TOTAL makes more money to the devs. That is, if it was $10 would it sell twice as much; if it was $5 would it sell four time more. My actual feel on this is that for $10 it probably would. I have quite a few friends who like turn based strategy games and none of them bought it due to the price - blame it on the fact that iOS gaming prices made us spoiled brats who only buy a game if it cost $3 or less. So for a price of $10 or less I know I could get some of them on board. As it stands, I got zero sales from my mates. :-(

8. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Hi Guys,

This thread is for discussing Battle Academy.

If you want to discuss Panza Corps, please post in a thread for that game, preferably without turning it into another IOS pricing debate.

Thanks.

9. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Well, finished the Sealion campaign today so all of the factory scenarios are wrapped up. Definitely got my fifty bucks worth so far, and I haven't tried skirmish, multiplayer or user-made scenarios yet.

Overall I'm still more than pleased with the game and system. Aside from the occasional typo, UI quibble, LOS/LOF issue and AI WTF moment it plays very well, and there's enough variety in the equipment, terrain and missions to keep things fresh and interesting. Fun, engrossing and engaging are three of the best words I can think of to describe BA.

So now that Panzer Corps for iOS has been announced, can I start asking about more BA addons now? :)

10. d_A_v_E

d_A_v_E New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Personally I think the devs are missing out on a much larger market by going over the $10 price point, especially with IAP that when bought pushes the total price to $50. Hey, they seem happy with sales so maybe they don't mind. But there IS a different and very large pool of potential buyers on the iOS platform that would take a chance on a polished game like this at around $10 dollars. I also think there are less reviews out due to the price point, in that reviewers don't believe the average iOS gamer will bother due to price.

For me, I love strategy games and I'd definitely give this one a chance at $10 with $5 IAP. That is a very well established 'premium' price point for games in the App store. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone other than Square Enix is at the $20 price point, not even EA.

Finally, I do believe it is justified to have a lower price as compared to the PC versions, as they aren't exactly equivalent in feature set. One is graphics and the other is a campaign editor. Yes, you get to play 'on-the-go' but that usually means you also aren't playing as much at a time as when on a PC.

Hey, I'm glad for the devs that this is a success for them at $20 even though I won't go that high. It means potentially more competition in this genre, and they said they are going to bring more games to the platform. So that's great for the gaming scene in general.

This post isn't complaint; I am just offering an opinion about their pricing decision from someone who never even heard of this game or is in the existing 'niche' audience they are targeting. No disrespect is intended.

11. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    I'm with Farmer Harv on the DLC front. Although I'm sure you sell DLC to a lot less people, surely it takes a lot less resource to create?

Apart from creating a few new 3d assets and artwork, it's one man and a scenario builder (vs an entire team for a new engine / AI etc).

Maybe I'll get some modern scenarios after all lol!

Btw as a Brit i loved the Operation Sealion campaign. Sure there are a few mechanics niggles (trying to find your units due to a mass of buildings etc), but I really did feel sorry for my Rourkes Drift units when they finally succumbed!

12. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Big LOL!! ;) I guess the guys do read the threads!

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    The cost of production isn't too relevant to pricing. It's a form of price discrimination---the people with an interest in buying the IAP are generally those who got a lot more value out of the base purchase, also. But you can't charge them more for the base game---you basically need to have a single price (except for sales, which used to be more useful for price discrimination but have gotten less useful as people learn to work the system and wait for sales).

14. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #294 GiHubb, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    After the praise, etc, a little question: I don't know if this is a bug or not, but all the missions that make up a single campaign are open for me from the start. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them unlock in sequence? The tutorial seemed to have mentioned it and that would give a better feel for accomplishment and progression. Right now it's just a series of battles where you can start with any one and again, no feel of progression or connection between the battles in a single campaign.

Also, if you did complete and win a battle, it would be nice to see the achievement stars gained through the battle and a note that you actually won it in the past. I didn't play for a few days and I pretty much forgot where I was and as everything is unlocked, I really had a hard time remembering where I was.

SlideToPlay also made a valid point in their review where it is a bit weird that you select troops before receiving the battle objectives however this didn't seem like too big of an issue to me.

And finally, Game Center acheivements are always nice!

15. astonkiller

astonkiller Active Member

Sep 29, 2010
    baker
    west sussex england
    #295 astonkiller, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Love this game yes Game Center acheivements would be nice!! But I must say online is great without GC

16. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    On the mission progression this was done deliberately because some people had trouble completing specific missions and we didn't want to lock them out of the rest of the game because they got stuck on one mission and we didn't want to make the missions simple enough that everyone could easily finish them. The answer was to let people jump to any mission.

When you go to a campaign it will auto jump to the last mission you completed. Achievements should now be stored - if not it might be a new bug...

However the Market Garden campaign forces you to play in order with unit carry over.

On future expansions we have 2 in production. They take quite a while to produce because the design and testing. The assets are pretty quick to do and all the time gets sunk in to playing the mission, tweaking and replaying.

17. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Looks really good but I think I'll wait for them to make a light version.
    Would be nice to sample it even for a short time before buying.

18. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    You can try their demo version on your PC and/or Mac. It's the same game, just a different platform. Just go to their site and download it.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

19. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Most games that do this opt for the "Skip Battle" button with a confirmation, just to keep track and let you know that you are skipping ahead. I know it isn't a major issue, but I think there is a reason why devs dealt with similar cases in this fashion.

Where can I see these achievement?

When scrolling between the missions I don't see them there. I also think that it would be nice to show a little line of text that confirms that this battle was won. It would give a nice warm feeling of accomplishment for sure! :)

20. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    There are some technical issues with showing them on the mission selection screen (basically it would need to read the script for each mission to see what achievements were in there) - but I will add it to the task list.

Cheers

Pip