Battleheart Legacy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MikaMobile, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009

Here's a first video of our next game, Battleheart Legacy. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to post any questions. For best results, flip it to 720p! Price and release date are TBD, but we are in the final stretch of development and expect to finish up shortly after the new year.

2. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    looks fun

I'll be picking this game up for sure. I take it the controls are tap to move? Not a huge fan of this but I can deal :) I'm one that prefers the virtual joystick.

3. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

oh wow looks awesome. cant wait!

4. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    Yup, tap to move, or to lock on to a target. A quick double tap enters into a sustained movement mode where your character follows your finger until you release.

I'm also a fan of virtual joysticks for many games (such as our own Zombieville games), but for this one I think you'll find the RTS-style controls fit the gameplay very well.

5. krillin63

krillin63 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2013
    yeah!!

awsome please it's works on ipod touch 4th???

6. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Looks awesome guys! It's great you can finally show us the game.

So, how does the skill system work? can you make hybrid classes? I found the following categories of skills in the video, are any missing?

Knight
    Battlemage
    Necromancer
    Ranger
    Witch
    Ninja
    Bard
    Wizard

I didn't find rogue or monk, yet I definitely saw skills similar to both in the video. So are their skills in the ninja tree?

7. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    4th gen has a retina display, right? If so, then yes, it should work just fine. We're supporting iPhone 4+ or equivalent, and all iPads (though 1st gen iPads aren't ideal).

8. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    In addition to the list you made there, there's Rogue, Monk, Paladin, and Barbarian for a total of 12 classes encompassing a whopping 156 skills.

The skill system is pretty simple - each class has a group of skills (example: wizard) and each skill has stat requirements to learn (example: chain lightning requires 7 intelligence). When you level up, you get 3 stat points to distribute amongst 6 core stats: strength, dexterity, intelligence, skill, endurance and charisma, and as long as you have the stats, you can learn the associated skills. So while you CAN focus on a single class, it's usually very easy to scoop up some low-level skills from other classes by spreading your stats around a little when you level up. The only real limitation is that you have a finite number of slots for skills.

The classes overlap in ways that make sense, for example both rogues and rangers care about dexterity, so its very plausible to make a "hybrid" ranger/rogue that can stealth and shoot bows, or something like that. Generally speaking, we deliberately placed low-hanging fruit in each classes skill selection so that experimenting with hybrids is highly viable.

9. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #9 Brrobotix, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    sounds awesome. I guess this means we'll get some cool skill combos that will stack and build off each other to facilitate a certain strategy, like how the Paladin could almost become a primary healer, or a tank. How many of the skills in the original Battleheart are being carried over, and how many brand new ones did you add? I noticed a Monk attack that looked a lot like one of the originals from Battleheart, where the monk teleports all over the map and hits every enemy present.

Also, "is there any kind of multiplayer/Co-op mode planned for release, or a later update?" - My girlfriend

Keep up the good work! It's looking amazing so far, looking forward to getting a release date (this is TA after all. Someone had to ask.)

10. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    So it runs on iPod 4th generation, and I can create a hybrid of my two favourite classes: the ranger and rogue. YES, THIS WILL DO.

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Remember there isn't a party, it's a single character that you control with multiple skills. I too am excited for this game! :D

12. Brrobotix

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    well aware. That changes things, and I had some doubts at first because the whole party management is gone, but with all they've added those doubts are definitely gone.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Somebody help me pick my jaw up.

My brain still cant process the awesomeness of Mika Mobile ramping up the art style with 3D models, and taking advantage of the great Battleheart skills and combat mechanics into a dungeon crawler.

Teleporting Ranger, anyone? :D

14. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    This Game looks Awesome!
    INSTA Buy day one!!!

15. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    best news ever to start my morning :D
    i don't really connected to the first one, but this...oh man, this looks so much better.
    good graphics, great animation, and i believe it will be so much polished storyline and gameplay since thats what we can expect from mika mobile.
    please upgrade the graphics effect to the max for newest device mika. you've got my support day one just for the moving trees, LOL. :p

and....

this +1

16. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    You're correct, that's the good ol' Wind Walk monk ability. Basically all of the active skills from the original Battleheart are back, except for most of the cleric. The notion of a dedicated healer kit didn't really jive with the new gameplay, so some of that got rolled into the Paladin and the rest tossed. Also, several of the old abilities have been redesigned, like the blizzard spell seen in this video is now a persistent zone you deploy, rather than a simple hit-everything-on-screen move. Lots of skills have gotten a new coat of paint like that.

Besides old skills that have been modernized, there's a ton of new ones. The monk demonstrates two new additions in the video - a hadoken-style Ki Shot, and Karma Kick, a flying spinning kick that launches you at your target and does increased damage the lower your health is. When used when your health is dangerously low, its extremely strong. All told, we have around 50 completely new active abilities, and all the old classes got some.

Regarding multiplayer/co-op, we opted not to pursue it for v1.0, as we already had a LOT on our plates trying to make a game this huge at all. I think it would be pretty cool though, so maybe some day. Multiplayer brings with it some major challenges though, as we learned with Zombieville 2. Co-op complicated development of that game immensely, and only 5% or so of our players ever even tried it.

17. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    YESSSSS!!! I haven't been this excited about a game since.... actually I don't think I've ever been this excited for an iOS game before :D

18. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Definitely take this one, instant buyyyyyyyyyyy

19. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Will it release in this month?

20. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer