Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman (by Hexage) Coming This Month

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Royce, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    That video looks great. As they say in Star Wars, 'this could be the side platformer I'm looking for, move along, move along'

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Copied from the site:
    This game looks awesome. Instabuy. Love the art style

4. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    This looks so much fun! When will it be out? Soon I hope. :D

5. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Definitely buying this if it's a premium game.

I'm kinda wary of the control scheme though. It seems you are supposed to use the 2 arrows on the left corner. Last time I tried that on my iPad I soon gave up. Optional D-pad, hopefully?

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Sounds like it should be pretty soon. From their Twitter:

According to some random dude commenting on an article on DroidGamers:

7. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This game looks pretty good. Will be trying it out on android in the coming days!

8. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    The game looks great. I love the art style of it. :)

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Looks really good

10. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Perfect! Try it to get a taste, and buy it if it works for you. The best kind of IAP.

11. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Wow, amazing artwork, follow this one.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #12 Exact-Psience, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Watched the awesome trailer, and it strongly reminded me of Legend of Zelda 2 which was a sidescrolling platformer in its combat system.

Question: Is the combat area arena-type? The explorations seems to be map-based, like in the video, but has random encounters as you travel across the map similar to how Final Fantasy Tactics has random encounters when moving from point to point.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #13 awp69, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    For any Android users, the game is out on Google Play. Downloading now - although it'll probably be a while before I get a chance to check it out (damn work).

Also, for those wondering, and I assume these will be the same on iOS, here are the unlock options (first 10 levels are free):

$2.99
    Full Game

$3.99
    Full Game
    Torken Arena
    Fortune Teller
    Destiny Item Set

$4.99
    Full Game
    Torken Arena
    Fortune Teller
    Destiny Item Set
    Dark Item Set
    Dark Side Quest
    Dark Harvest Mode

As mentioned, I haven't played yet so I have no idea about the extras for each IAP unlock. Maybe Hexage can give us more info.

14. Bronxsta

I hope the additional content can still be unlocked in the full game if I just got the 2.99 tier

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Not sure at this point.

I got a few minutes to play so thought I'd give some initial impressions. As for EP's question, the combat is sort of arena based. It's contained in a sidescrolling area for each quest, but they do seem to get bigger so they may turn into what may feel more like a "level" rather than an arena.

The map acts a bit like it does in Warhammer Quest in that you select a destination and click "travel" to go there. But you'll hit NPCs along the way in which you have a tree based conversation and end up with a task/quest or another area to travel to.

Controls work well but take a bit of getting used to. The left side of the screen is for movement and the left side is for gestures (jumping, uppercuts, stomping, mid-air spins, etc.). If I had one complaint so far, it's that if you do multiple swipes/gestures it'll keep swinging or whatever and you can't move while that's going on. So if you're swiping away and an enemy comes behind you and starts attacking there's nothing you can do to turn around if you are still completing the last swipes.

It may just be something that you have to get used to (ie., not just swiping away).

Game has a lot of polish and definately has potential. Will play some more later.

16. Bronxsta

Please report back on the IAP and unlockables situation. That looks like a lot of content

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, honestly, I'm not entirely sure if I'm sold on the game yet. And unfortunately, the only way to really know about the IAPs is to buy the $2.99 unlock and play through the whole game to see what may or may not be obtainable.

At this point, if I get an action RPG this week, I'm leaning towards Heroes of Loot. I'll be anxious to hear more on this though. Hopefully Hexage can come back and answer questions on each of the IAP unlocks.

18. Bronxsta

Forgot the game was free to try, thought you had bought it. Yeah, definitely the right choice to go with the proven dev, especially with the IAP situation here

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Surprised to not see this in the NZ releases. As I said, probably going to get my fix through Heroes of Loot, but would love to hear more for Hexage about the different unlock packs.

20. Bronxsta

It's coming out this week?