How to define a customer base for a specific game genre

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by tlax, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tlax

tlax New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #1 tlax, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Hello Everyone

Newbie here. I am part of The Apphouse- a small group that is trying to develop and launch iphone games. We had introduced The Rev 1.0 which met limited success and are now launchign Rev 2.0. From the blog and posts, I was able to gather great data on what constitues an effective marketing strategy.

However, I was unable to find much information about how to identify the customer base or target the potential customer for a specific game genre.

I would really appreciate if anyone can please adivse us on where to research or look up to understand the market potential or the preferences for of potential customers for a specific style of game play.

Again, we really appreciate all your help.

The Apphouse Team.

2. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Hello,

My advice would be to mingle with your players. If you're not making a great deal of money from Revz at this point, make it free for a few days, and write a post about it here on TA. Ask that anyone who downloads the game PMs or emails you with a few sentences about themselves and what attracted them to the game. Maybe you could even give away Revz 2 promo codes to a few players who write particularly well thought-out responses.

Hope that helps!

3. tlax

tlax New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks

Thanks

Regards

Tlax

4. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

There are a lot of targeted review sites out there, just do a search for "_____ reviews" and see what you come up with, then you'll see what kind of people play those games, what their favorites are, etc.

5. rhansson

rhansson Well-Known Member

Are there similar games to what your creating? Find them, and target their audience!

The iPhone market is changing every day. Marketing strategies that worked for someone in the past will most likely not work again. Take everything in, and create your own unique plan.

My advice...