Why do so many devs co strsin themselves by making flash gsmes for the app store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #1 Stirolak26, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    I recwntly started playing further into braveheaet and realized everything aout it seems like instead of bei g tailor made for the touch devices it plays like a flas game. The graphics and non interactive backgrounds and the brighteness and style of graphics all seem like flash gsme style. And it has no free roam only going from one level to the next like an action game not rpg. And im guessing this isnt the dev designing it that way but having to make it like that due to te flash game mskng program constraints? Its been proven the hardware can handle real gmes like look at aralon, or even real rpgs. Sure we havent seen intersctive or destructable environments but i think there is a reason those gamers on kotaku, ign, etc. Still call most of our games glorified flash games or inferior to the other portables. When will this change? And why havent we even seen a game with destructable environments from even ea or capcom?

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Seriously man, if you are going to continue to make so many threads - which I have no problem with whatsoever, at least make sure they are coherent enough to read in english. I can't be decoding every other word, then trying to figure out if the sentence makes sense. Why so trigger happy on the 'submit thread' button?

3. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #3 Stirolak26, Dec 9, 2010
    Ok i fixed some grammar. Its due to the ipad and idevices in general kinda sucking for typing. Anyway, has ea even made one od their car or racing games show car damage? And even then outside gamellft and ea everyone seems to just make fkash games. U dont see steam being full of them do you? Would a game like braveheart be poplar or even put on steam with its design despite being kinda fun?

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #4 Cilo, Dec 9, 2010
    Because a percentage of the developers are using easy to pickup kits like GameSalad, Unity, ect. And I'm not saying the use of these are bad or the output is guaranteed poor quality, but there's a difference between a music album recorded/mastered in someone's bedroom, vs. one made in a professional studio by a 20 year veteran engineer.

Knowledge, experience, and access to higher end tools usually determines the quality of the end product - although there are exceptions to anything. Which is why people should be excited about bigger studios wanting to venture into the iOS game space, and also be excited about great games created by indie devs - the iOS platform is really young, and if we are seeing the amazing output we have seen this past year only 2-3 years into the life of the platform, imagine how it will look 5+ years in.

5. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    So, the definition of a Flash game is, 'a game without, destructible environments or damage to cars...in racing games'?

And to answer your question, think about why Flash games were made, little quick time wasters you could play whilst on your break at work or when your were just messing about on the Internet ect. Many iOS developers know that this is the kind of casual gamer that the App Store attracts.

How many people do you think would have bought Angry Birds if it started with a lengthy cut-scene, then moved on to explaining the entire back story on the conflict, before an hour long tutorial on how the game works? Or if it wasn't level based, but a huge sprawling open world?

And come to think of it Angry Birds has destructible environments, so I guess they better change that definition.

6. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    All im saying is braveheart was hyped to heck as the next best thing here on touchgen. And i admit it is fun. But when u start getting more into it you usut realize how typical it is of an ios game and it could easily be done on flash ifmit hasnt beeen already. I men why even have level to level layout but market it as an arpg? Why the sam barren non interactive environments with no variation in gameplay or battles? Come on u guys know this type of game would only be hyped by idevice owners.

7. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    But why do devs continue making complicated games for pc gamers than rather than quick steam cash ins like angry birds? Why make those sins of solar empire or empire total war games when they could jus make flash or ateam games.

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I don't remember Braveheart getting any hype. I didn't even know what game you were talking about until I did a search. I mean seriously, look at the screenshots and the price, what did you really expect? Do you mean hype as in random people making comments on the thread? That's not the type of hype I would put much faith in. People could hype up hotpockets till their blue in the face, still doesn't mean they are good. Learn to develop your own opinion.

Now Battleheart has had some hype and it looks fun too, can't wait to play it.

9. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #9 Stirolak26, Dec 9, 2010
    I never saId it wasnt fun, i mean its just incredibly shallow and could just as eaisly have been done on flaSh if it hasnt or ported to flash. How many psp or ds ga,ea could be made in flash or ported to a web browser?

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Before I sold my DS lite, I remember a lot of those games being overpriced shovelware.

11. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I don't really understand the question. People have different visions and skill sets. People also have different styles, it's like you're saying that because the iPhone is capable of running the Unreal Engine, every game should now be 3d. People are still going to want to play games like Super Quickhook, or Fastar.

Also I don't think Empire Total War or Sins of a Solar Empire came out within 3 years of the PC's life. You have to remember the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad are all still an emerging platform. It is growing at a faster pace than the PC platform did, but I'd say it still has a while to go.

12. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    But even pc indy devs seem to make deeper games or look at xbox live games. Why are so many idevice games so shallow and similar to each other? Heck super meat boy was made by like two ppl and even its devs claimed idevice games suck. Why cant ppl just put more effort or use new design tools or engines? I mean look at some stuff gameloft have done. None of their games look like flash games. Its nit like there are any hardware limitations. I mean there should be at least one complicated or hardcore game by now in the pc atyle of things on the ipad at least. I mean its not like toich interface or its screen couldnt handle a game like sins of the solar empires.

13. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    +1000

14. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I still don't understand, you're bemoaning the fact there aren't a lot of 'deep' games? Well as you seem to be focusing on Sins, what about Settlers or Command and Conquer? Or if it's more Sci-Fi style games you want, what about Galaxy on Fire? Game Dev story is a port of a PC game, as is Plants vs Zombies, and there's Aralon right around the corner.

If you want more of a 'console experience' there's GTA: Chinatown Wars, or Chaos Rings.

To be honest, if you look farther than the Top 10 apps in the App Store you'll generally find the 'deeper' games.

15. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Your posts seriously make my brain cry and my eyes bleed. It is REALLY EASY to type properly on an iPhone or an iPad, I'm doing it right now. It's called proofreading, and typing however slow you need to to make sure your words come out correctly. Please, please, for the love of God, PLEASE take your time and type better.