Games suitable for the gym?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sucker Punch, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Sucker Punch

Sucker Punch Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I hate exercising. I need something to take my mind off it, but it's kinda hard finding something that works.

Playing while you're bouncing around on an exercise bike or a treadmill can be tough, so it can't be a game that requires precise controls.

On the other hand, it needs to be action-y enough to keep your attention. I can't sit through a 10 minute cut scene or read a dozen pages of text while my heart's beating 150 times a minute.

I'm thinking games like Infinity Blade/Dark Meadow and Kairosoft's Story games would work, but I've either played them to death already or don't like them.

Anything else you guys can throw at me?

2. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    How can you play games at the gym? I go to the gym regular and I just wouldn't have the time or concentration to play.

Too busy thinking what to do next and beating the previous session.

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Game Dev Story used to keep me busy on the elliptical for 30 mins at a stretch pretty easily.

Jetpack Joyride would be quite simple as well given the one-finger touch controls required.

NBA 2K12 could be great option using the one-touch control scheme.

Look into Mr. Ninja by Ponos - simple yet incredibly addictive game.

Zombie Highway is another good one.

Will post more as they come to mind!

4. Sucker Punch

Aug 15, 2010
    Mr. Ninja was a really good call. I'll try Zombie Highway tonight.

5. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1

What about the game of beating your previous record. And the reward of becoming fitter, healthier and stronger both mentally and physically? Nothing better than that!

I'll save the iPhone games for other times where I am not paying an expensive gym membership, no point in wasting both time and money :)

6. Sucker Punch

Aug 15, 2010
    Not sure how occupying your mind with something else while working out precludes you from beating your previous record and becoming fitter, healthier and stronger both mentally and physically.

What about the people that listen to music, read magazines or books, or watch TV while on the treadmill?

Do you save iPhone games for when you're not on the bus as well? After all, you pay for bus fare, no point in wasting both time and money, right?