People getting off topic in thread

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Thomadaneau, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Thomadaneau

Thomadaneau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Digital marketing consultant
    I was wondering if there was anything we could do to... not getting off topic in threads about games. I will tell you what happens in almost every thread I read about new games :

Link of game release with IAP
    Whining about IAP without actually opening the game for the first 5 posts
    Whining about people whining about IAP and telling IAP can be good for another 5 posts
    1 game impression, but talking about the IAP

OR

Link of game release with ads
    Whining about the ads in the game for the first 5 posts
    Whining and suggestion removing ads / adding a IAP to remove ads for another 5 posts
    1 game impression, but talking how there is ads

And this is for non popular games, for popular games, it goes on for lot of pages discussing about IAP and ads instead of the game.

I know that IAP and ads are a great topic and change the way mobile gaming is... but.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I totally agree with you. We've been actively trying to curb this behavior, as it really diminishes the value of the forums when folks stumble across a thread from a Google search or similar looking for information on a game and instead just find endless rants about IAP that could be about any free to play game. If you see this sort of thing happening, just report the posts and they'll be dealt with.

3. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I think if a game has iap or ads people should be able to discuss about them on the games thread as they are a part of the game. People has a right to know if a game has terrible iap or annoying ads. And since this information isn't gonna be on games description forums are a good place to learn about them. Although I agree it's being a little overdone here at TA.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

While I agree with you, rarely does it ever stop at just mentioning "Oh hey this game has pretty aggressive IAP" or "Wow the ads are obnoxious." Doing that triggers people to start posting who aren't even interested in the game but instead just want to get mad over the fact that IAP or ads exist at all, totally unrelated to the actual game itself. It makes for a pretty hostile environment overall, unless you're riding the anti-IAP anti-ad party line.