(youtube) tag add new poup window

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by mrbass, Sep 22, 2009.

1. #1 mrbass, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    Arn,

Could you consider adding popup link for youtube tag?

I think I prefer popup window over fullscreen anyday since you can size it to your hearts content but really annoying with Expose in Mac since you lose your fullscreen when you need to browse some or do anything. Hulu I believe they didn't have it initially on launch and since then did add a popup and can't believe youtube took so long adding it. Unless it was there forever and I just noticed it or something.

Popup

except it would look like something
    Youtube link | Popup

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=AVFAsN-_tpo

Hmm hang on ....clicking that link on firefox/mac opens a new tab but lemme see how to force it to open a new window. Right clicking on that link I can say "open in new window" and gives me desired result but ultimately to figure out how to force a new window would be ideal.

This is code they are using on youtube
    Code:
    <div id="player-open-popup" class="reverse-tooltip-wrapper">
    <button id="watch-longform-popup" 
    class="master-sprite" 
    onclick="showPopupPlayer('AVFAsN-_tpo', 640, 360);
     this.blur(); return false;" 
    onmouseover="toggleSimpleTooltip(this, true)" 
    onmouseout="toggleSimpleTooltip(this, false)">
    </button>

Youtube still doesn't have popup (open in new window) in their customize options:
    - Include related videos
    - Show Border
    - Enable privacy-enhanced mode
    - Play in HD

So perhaps have to wait till those come out. I'll keep playing with it though.

2. Actually if you can just link to popup I think that would be fine. Even though it opens as a tab for me (firefox setting 'always open as tab). Many will pop open a new window and I can either watch it full maxed out (almost full screen in a tab) or drag that tab to make a new window.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    how about now?

arn

4. Yes that's perfect. I'd imagine at some point the Youtube flash player may offer the option but until that happens this is great barring any user complaints. Thanks arn.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Is that supposed to be opening in a pop up window then? On Firefox (PC) I'm just getting a new tab with fullscreen video.

6. Yea you have to either
    A) right click it and say open in new window
    or
    B) or after you click the link you can drag the tab to the far right or left of your screen (I drag to my other monitor) and it opens in a new window.

Main advantage of this though is allows you to use your pc/mac/linux while you do other stuff cuz that fullscreen mode you exit right away if you attempt to do anything.