Turned based battles and platformer games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eiVix, Nov 11, 2012.

1. eiVix

eiVix Active Member

May 31, 2012
    Airline pilot
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering your thoughts on a platformer game, but when you hit an enemy...you are taken into a turned based battle system like classic RPGs.

Thanks in advance =)

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Seems cool gotta see it in action

3. Juan_Arteaga

Juan_Arteaga Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Sounds a lot like Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. There is actually a game like this already in the appstore called Steam Pirates.

I didn't like Steam Pirates much, but Valkyrie Profile is one of my favorite games ever.

4. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Game Developer @ EPX Games
    Canada
    it sounds interesting, now what kind of view would it be ? over head like the zelda (NES) games?

Turn based battle systems are turn, i mixed survival horror with point and click adventure games plus have boss battles.

Its a different mix of all three, but it works quite well.

The game is called Night Whisper Lane, its out on the App store.

check out the Free version

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/night-whisper-lane-free/id571175527?mt=8&uo=4

5. eiVix

eiVix Active Member

May 31, 2012
    Airline pilot
    São Paulo, Brazil
    It would be a normal platformer, sideview...with the difference where when you touched an enemy, you'd be taken to a turn based battle. Your game sounds interesting, I will download it.

6. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Canada
    That sounds interesting, do you plan on adding rpg elements to the game?? Do just keep it like a platformer with turn based battles.

I have been a huge fan of turn based battles and think that they can work in most genres.

Let me know what you think of Night Whisper Lane.

7. CSE_Dave

CSE_Dave Member

Nov 8, 2012
    The use of 'turn based battle system' is a bit to broad to really say much about it.

You could be talking Final Fantasy style fights here, or something like Fire Emblem and Disgaea (...a lot of which have heavy RPG elements and could be classic RPGs in their own respect), or even go totally on a limb and turn it into Street Fighter Turn Based Fighter! Even if we are just talking Final Fantasy you have your guys lined up against their guys, there are a lot of nuances and things that can change this up, sort of like Xenosaga's use of forward/back positions, that add depth/complication and can change how enjoyable the experience is.

That being said the basic idea isn't a bad one, it would be a fairly common trope used in many games, having separate open world from combat mode experiences.

8. EPX

EPX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Canada
    #8 EPX, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    Dave,

You are right, there are many different types of turn based battles systems. Each has it own pro's and con's.

A street fighter type game with turn based battles would be a great idea.

In our first game Night Whisper Lane, we used something similar to the classic final fantasy TBS. see attachment

Attached Files: