Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    No worries, we cannot remember everything :)
    I just went quickt over iPad bugreports on the official forum, but couldn't find anything related.
    Mene, your best choice really is to contact the developers directly, either via their forum, or via email.

2. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    So would someone like Xzar be ok with a sling or bow? Early in the game once hes used up his magic missile (I only have 1 slot at the moment :( )he's pretty useless.

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yep, give him and every other mage or priest a sling, it works out nicely. I don't believe they have proficiency in bows though.
    Use only magic against harder enemies, especially in the beginning where magic users are weaker. Otherwise you'll have to rest after almost every battle which kills the immersion and role play a bit IMO.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Any idea when the patch is due?

Tbh I'm in two minds, cant decide to contact apple and ask for a refund or hold on for the patch and hope it fixes it.

One thing about patches though, I wish you didn't have to download the whole damn game when there's an update, for people like me on limited monthly bandwidth allowances, it can get tight. Why can't they just let you download a patch that installs and patches files, like the PC?

5. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's with Apple at the moment, and barring a sudden and unexpected rejection, is due to arrive literally any day now.

This depends on the game and developer; quite a few recent patches for games have been delta updates, not full downloads (Vice City comes to mind: the game is over a gigabyte in size, but the December update was nowhere even close to that).

6. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Cool thanks! I'll try it tonight.

Another question, do character's increase skills in weaponry the more they use them?

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    you gain a new proficiency point every 3 levels. you can choose how to spend it.

8. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Hi guys,

I wanted to get some opinions on whether to purchase Baldur's Gate now or hold off for a little longer.

I just completed Avadon and Bastion on my iPad and have recently started The Bards Tale. Currently on my 'To Do' list for RPGs is Avernum Escape from the Pit, Ravensword and Baldurs Gate (as the main ones).

I've always had a soft spot for Baldurs Gate and remember starting but never finishing the game all those years ago.

So I really want to get into it, but my question is whether I should leave it as Number 3 on my list, after Avernum and Ravensword, or bump it up to number 2 or even number 1?

Thanks and I appreciate any forthcoming replies.

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    tarek, I'd say it depends what system you have.

If you have an ipad 3-4 then I'd grab it ASAP and play it next.

However, if like me you have an ipad2, it would either hold off for the upcoming patch or simply avoid it altogether as its unplayable right now on an ipad2. :(

10. crazycan98

crazycan98 Active Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I don't understand these iPad 2 naysayers, I have an iPad2 and only an ipad2 and have zero issues. I've done 3 hour stints playing this while watching tv not a crash once.
    The touch controls can be a little annoying and that's the only thing I want the patch for but other than that I just don't see the problem.

11. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey Mene,

Thanks a lot for the comment. I have an iPad 4 so I suppose it would make sense to make use of it.

I guess I'll bump it up. Although Ravensword looks really tempting as a sky rim type RPG. I played Aralon a long time ago and though it was pretty good game wise (I felt the story was a little weak to be honest).

That's why I think both Avernum and definitely baldurs gate would be far stronger story wise.

Again, thanks for the reply.

12. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    I started Avernum before BG came out, and I think BG is better in pretty much every way (not that Avernum is bad, I just like BG more). Can't speak to Ravensword 2 though. And I have an iPad 2 as well, and BG works just fine.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    If you want to play BG next, at least wait for the major patch that's due in the next couple of days before doing so. That one will add/restore features and correct a pretty staggering number of gameplay/balance/challenge/UI issues both trivial and critical, like the monster spawn issue which lead to many of the (non-scripted) combat encounters in the game only having one sixth - or even none - of the enemies that would appear in the original game.

Nothing says "epic battle" quite like besieging an enemy stronghold or dungeon that only has five enemies in it, or having the game stop your travel so that your heavily armed party can be waylaid by no bandits or a single wolf instead of the intended pack. :p

No, it's apparently just unplayable on yours; not only have many people elsewhere been playing it just fine on that device, there are a number in this thread stating that they've had no problems on theirs either, two of which have been in direct response to your claims.

14. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Same here, iPad2, almost done the game and only had a few crashes. No problems with my savegames either, I try not to rely too much on the autosave just in case but everything has worked fine.

I'm not sure why other people are saying it's unplayable on the iPad2, I mean "Unplayable"? How come I can play it? I mean it's annoying and buggy but I would be lying if I were to say it doesn't work.

15. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    As I don't have an iPad 2 I can't comment specifically, but it's likely that not every user encounters the same problems- even on the same device. It's like when Fallout New Vegas was released on consoles, some people could barely play that for 20 minutes before it dropped to about 10fps and a whole host of other bugs were also reported, but personally I had no problems with it at all. There may or may not be a specific reason why some people have major problems and others don't, but as we can't identify that reason it's really just luck of the draw, and it sounds like iPad 2 owners have worse odds than iPad 3 or 4 owners.

16. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    I've an iPad2 and iPad Mini (same hardware) no problem at all, no crash, no save game bug, nothing.

17. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I'm a huge fan of BG but I recommend you finish the Spiderweb games while they shake the bugs out of this one. If you had nothing to play I'd say "grab it now" but you have a pretty good list of top tier games to keep you busy.

18. tarek

tarek Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Thanks mate. I succumbed and purchased BG last night. Started playing and was quite impressed. With all the talk of the upcoming patch addressing the notable bugs, I'm pretty happy.

I just needed a break from the spiderweb games because Avadon is still so fresh in my mind, so baldurs gate is a good step away from that and a brilliant game to boot!

19. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Glad you're enjoying it. it's easily my favorite RPG on iOS so far in spite of its interface and performance issues. As good as BG is, however, it pales in comparison to BG II, which is on its way to iOS, so I hear. As you play through BG I, be sure to plan for the "long game" as BG II is likely to support the import of your main character.

20. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #480 Sheinfell, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    I finished all Spiderweb games on iOS, finished Ravensword, and played a good chunk of BGEE.
    I recommend to go for Avernum first (great game!). By the time you are through, at least one patch for BGEE should be released.
    Ravensword is nice (wonderful landscapes, not many games make me just walk around and enjoy the view), but short (~10-15 hours). And also has some bugs and quirks, which hopefully will be addressed in a future update.

EDIT: Just saw your other post, that you went for BGEE because you wanted a break from Spiderweb. Understandable :) But keep the Avernums (Escape from the Pit, Avernum 6) high on your list. They play quite different from Avadon, and the setting (underground cavern civilisation) and story are truly great.