iPad 4 vs iPad Mini: Which is better for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sofakng, Mar 19, 2013.

1. sofakng

sofakng Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm mostly wondering what other people, who have extensively used both, think about the difference between the iPad 4 and iPad Mini for gaming.

I've owned every iPad (1, 2, 3, and the latest 4) and currently have an iPad 4 for myself and my wife uses (and prefers due to weight) an iPad 2.

A few days ago I picked up an iPad Mini because it seemed perfect to take with me to work to watch a few videos during lunch and playing a few games, etc. Suprisingly, I'm REALLY enjoying the size and weight of the mini even more than the iPad 4.

For example, Rediculous Fishing is so much easier to play using the tilt controls because of the size/weight of the mini. Other games are also easier because you don't have to reach as far across the screen. An example would be Fruit Ninja or The World Ends With You.

My only complaint is that it's not retina, but for gaming, it really isn't that big of a difference and the trade-off seems absolutely worth it. When the iPad Mini Retina is released I will probably sell my "large" iPad because it won't really have any advantages at all then.

Anyways... what do you guys think? Has anybody extensively used both devices?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I can't stand framerate issues, so without a doubt I prefer the iPad 4 to the mini just because of the massive difference in horsepower.

With that said, I keep hearing how "fun" the mini is to use. Really it boils down to personal preference; there is no "better" device IMO.

4. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#4 killercow, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    I prefer the 4th gen for that beautiful retina screen and great performance.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #5 tops2, Mar 19, 2013
    When I first tried out the mini at the Apple store, I was really put off by the lack of retina. I tend to read with the smallest text, so the lack of retina was really noticiable. But lately, the more I play with it in stores, I don't mind the lack of retina as much. That being said, my ipad 3 is still has a long shelf life for me.

But eventually, I think I'll go with the mini. Its the perfect size for me, and the perfect weight. I mainly use the ipad for long sessions of web surfing and watching videos. I use my ipod touch for majority of my gaming, and for quick sessions of web surfing. And its mostly cause of the size and weight that I actually use my ipod touch a lot more than my ipad.

For gaming wise, it really depends on games for me. For games board games and slower paced games that doesn't use a lot of virtual buttons, the ipad is great. But for twitch games, especially with virtual controls (ie: dual stick shooters, platformers, etc...), I prefer the ipod touch cause of the size, weight, and the overall comfort.

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #7 Exact-Psience, Mar 19, 2013
    Well... dont have the ipad4, but i had both ipad mini and ipad3 at the same time, and eventually ended up ignoring the ipad3.

I mainly use the ipad for gaming, but i do work on it as well.

With that said, an ipad mini with Retina is INSTABUY for me.

8. Karl_in_Charge

Mar 14, 2013
    I really prefer my iPhone 5 for gaming over my iPad 2, but my friend just got the mini and after spending a few hours with it I'm definitely going for it. It seems like the perfect format for gaming, and it's small enough that you can bring it with you in a jacket pocket.

I was really skeptical when they announced it, but after seeing it I was sold. The only real fear I have is if I buy the mini they'll announce a retina mini the next day :mad:

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think a retina version of the mini has more or less been confirmed already, so you might want to wait. I think it'll hit the shelves this year, easily.

10. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

You can tell Midian has been in the lounge regularly :D

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

12. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    One of the very few good things to come from some a-hole breaking into my house in the middle of my attempt to finish a Graduate degree... NEW TOYS!:D

As long as it drops before next December, I will be one happy dude. I can be very patient at times.;)

DBC

13. Bet you it will be heavier though.

14. I agree, I have a new ipad (3), but I would never consider using a non retina screen especially with games that support ipad retina. They are so wonderful looking.

Maybe the only exception would be tilt only games, that's probably about it.