Going Rate for Game Art?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ilStugots, Apr 8, 2013.

1. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    I'm having a hard time finding a ballpark figure for what it would cost to have someone do the art for my game. I have no clue what the going rate a freelance artist would charge.

I know prices are going to vary greatly depending on the complexity of both the game and the art required, but does anyone know a ballpark figure for having someone do all the art for say a typical 2D platformer? Probably a couple dozen sprite sheets and tilesets for creating the levels. Is vector more expensive than pixel art?

I'm asking because I've been programming as a hobby and I'm wondering if outsourcing the art is something I can even afford to do.

2. Not sure about vector since I only deal with Pixel art but the rates I deal with are between $0.80 and $4.50 by 32x32 blocks.

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

What I did was contact a bunch of artists and give them an idea of what I wanted. I looked at their quotes and reviewed their portfolio again before making a decision.

4. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

For pixel art, I'd expect to pay, minimum, $5,000 to $10,000 for the assets (multiple characters, animations, tiles, etc... ), obviously depending on the scope of your project. I've paid upwards of $20 in the past per 64x64 sprite, but was very impressed with the quality. Hopefully this helps ballpark your project. Keep in mind that you'll have to contact the artist to be sure.

There's a lot to consider, such as the artist's style, communication style, current workload, etc... The artists I've worked with in the past have been very talented and professional. I highly recommend contacting Primal Arts, as Tom has done some amazing work for me: http://primalarts.net/

5. Com2us|TaoFTW

Com2us|TaoFTW Active Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Game Community Manager
    Menlo Park
    There is actually a -very- good article written about this. Granted, it is a fighting game -and one that I particularly like- but it will give you insights to how much development costs goes into a good game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-little-fighting-game-that-could/1100-4587/

Here's a quote that would apply to you.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Wow... that's incredibly annoying. I could totally do that job. Here I am, broke as hell, when I could totally be making cash and getting my work seen by gamers.

7. I didn't know you were an artist. Got a portfolio? :)

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #9 MidianGTX, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    Nope. That's my problem. I'm self-taught with everything so I have no official qualifications to help towards getting a job, and I also suffer from OCPD which turns me into a crippling perfectionist. Things get shoved into folders and then never looked at again because I know I'll just find flaws. Then it sits there for a while until I delete it for being trash.

I've done a few bits and pieces for friends, but that's about it. One day I'll try building a portfolio again, people keep bugging me about it :)

9. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

I have a game company but half my business comes from freelance game projects. I've settled in nicely at $15 an hour, it seems to work for everybody. Platformers could run in the neighborhood of 60-100 hours, depends on how complex you're going to get. Could be a lot more if you go crazy with animation. So that's $900-$1,500 for reference for a fairly simple platformer.

10. We recommend Tom as well. He did the art for our upcoming game and he's a pleasure to work with. Plus, his animations are gorgeous and he has experience with 2D platformers.

11. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Indies don't care about your qualifications, only what you can produce. I have a favorite pixel artist I always work with; I have no idea if he has an art background, nor do I care. All I know is he does kickass pixelwork, is great at communication, and can do it at the right price. Get your work out there! :)