The NFL Thread - Because football is awesome.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by k1lljoy_89, Jan 3, 2013.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    That's cause you Americans are ignorant at the beauty of the sport.

2. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Pretty much.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I don't wanna start a pointless argument, but I will say this. American football should be called handegg and "soccer" football.

I really don't get you guys trying to be all different and stuff. Just lose the inches and pounds and join the metric and gramm(not sure if that's how you spell it in English) system! Okay fine, keep inches and pounds, but Fahrenheit is just weird... Has no sense in it.

Sorry, had to get it off my chest.

4. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Celsius is weird as hell, it makes no sense. Wtf is metric.

5. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    #25 Allanon, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Im a Raiders fan
    I also like the Cowboys but hate Romo
    During preseason I predicted the Packers would win it all
    Id LOVE to see the 49ers, Broncos or Packers win
    I hate the Patriots
    I would NOT like to see the Patriots, Texans, Falcons or Ravens win

Final: Broncos VS Packers or 49ers would be magical

6. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    Id also like to add that i hate how the sport is called Football when the foot is the least used appendage in the game lol. Real Football is the greatest and most played sport in the world and to call it "soccer" is blasphemy!

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    yes!

8. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    He did pretty good for a running qb. Not much arm your right.

9. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #29 k1lljoy_89, Jan 3, 2013
    I agree, it's stupid name. But I also don't give a darn lol

10. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #30 k1lljoy_89, Jan 3, 2013
    Raiders are cheap ass cheaters.
    I hate the cowboys for no other reason other than the fact that everyone else loves them.
    I'd love to see either of those teams win as well.
    I would NOT like to see the falcons win either, because there's no team I hate more. I despise Matt Ryan and the Falcons more than you can imagine, along with Moleface and the Saints. My teams biggest rival. The panthers beating them was the highlight of my season. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate.
    However, it soothes me knowing they won't make it, as they are rather bad, and incredibly lucky to have gotten where they are, with their easy little schedule and kiss ass referees. I have no doubt that by the end of next week, Matt Ryan will STILL have as many playoff wins as Cam Newton

Final: Broncos (so Peyton can show up the colts) vs 49ers, or Patriots (hate all you want, they're an amazing football team, led be a kick ass coach, and possibly the best QB of all time) vs Packers wouldn't be magical, cuz it's expected, but freaking awesome.

11. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I'm predicting NFC Championship being either a 49ers-Seahawks rematch or another Seahawks-Packers game (with the real refs this time ;)) Falcons looked really shaky in their game. Also I'm betting on the Broncos to take the AFC. Should be a good Playoffs again this year.

Oh and the NFL did take into consideration changing their name to handegg, but it didn't real sound good. (For reals it was put in there because football's goal was originally field goals (kicking it through the uprights).

12. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Hahahaha "with the real refs this time"

13. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    God he isn't kidding. That was such BS

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #34 psj3809, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    Well its been a tough year for me, I'm a Raiders fan, been a Raiders fan for 25 years, been tough following the NFL in the UK but for the last 15 years we've had a lot of live games on tv and the last few years live games on the internet so i can follow Oakland home/away and see every game

But a tough tough year !

Anyway onto the playoffs. Looking forward to them, the rookie QB's this year have been amazing with RG III, Wilson and of course Luck.

As a Raiders fan i hate Denver BUT i'm a huge fan of Peyton so i'm torn ! I must admit i've always disliked New England since all the bandwagon fans jumped aboard. Hope they lose in the playoffs the week after. I dislike the Patriots as i didnt know one person who was a Pats fan during the early 90's Rod Rust 1-15 year. 'Suddenly' they all start coming out of the woodwork when they start winning as always

Hope we have some great wildcard games and not controversial calls to ruin them !

As for the whole 'football/soccer' thing i dont care about that, i call both the NFL version 'football' and the premiership version 'football'. Doesnt bother me

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Can you back this up ? Back in the 70's granted they had some calls go their way (Holy Roller) but ones which didnt (Immaculate Reception), in the 00's they were conned by that tuck rule.

Did you see Carolina/Oakland ? Cam Newton kicking a fellow player ?

Still could be worse for the Raiders, they could have a murderous wide receiver picked by their team who goes onto kill his unborn child and tries to murder the mother and then goes to jail for 15+ years like Carolina did !

But seriously cheap ass cheaters ? Explain !

16. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Didnt know this thread existed! Big Steelers fan here, not so hot right now as they are facing what it seems like a serious roster overhaul specially on defense. Nice to see theres fellow football lovers here in the community, its kinda sad I found this thread when football season is almost over !

Go Steelers!

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah must admit i've got a soft spot for the Steelers. I always like the 'big' 80's teams such as the Redskins/Giants/Steelers/Dolphins/Cowboys/Raiders type teams.

Find it weird when you have teams such as Seattle/Cincy in the playoffs etc ;)

Prefer old skool !

Shame about the Steelers this year, sure they'll be back next year for sure. I watched that Cleveland/Pittsburgh game where the Steelers fumbled about 29 times ! Unbelievable (each running back fumbled)

18. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #38 k1lljoy_89, Jan 4, 2013
    I guess the taste/image from the 70's stuck, I don't really have any reason for saying that, but when I watch them play, there's no restriction from cheap hits and shameless penalties it seems. I don't actually watch many games though, but that's how I've always thought of the Raiders. Kind of how I think about Saints this year.

Oh yeah, you mean that play where the Raiders player was pinning down Cam's leg? Or am I thinking about the one with the purposeful, cheap late hit on Cam, that had no penalty and resulted in Cam getting fined? No it was the leg pin. Not to mention the Raider admitting afterward that they were gunning for Cam, and would have loved to see him get hurt, backed up by a very overly-agressive approach to Cam.

Raiders will be Raiders.

[​IMG]

Same with the Saints this last game. Constant overly aggressive play towards Cam, only this time they manged to hurt him. And the stadium lit up with happy ass fans and a fist pumping New Orleans sideline as Cam was looked at on field on what appeared to be a potentially devastating ACL-like injury.

Turned out to be a minor ankle injury but nobody guessed that.

Yeah I hate that that's in our history. But for the record, he didn't kill the unborn son, he just... disabled him for life...... yeah... I'll give you that one.

Maybe they're not, but I've always thought of them as willing to be cheap. And I despise their head coach.

I hate the saint right now a lot more in that department, however.

Got nothing against you btw, and any arguments are light hearted in nature. I do that.

And for the record, I hear where you're coming from with the patriot hate. I hated the cowboys for that same reason. (still do, for different reasons among that same one). But what the cowboys don't have is a coach that I have a lot of respect for, the best QB ever, who I really enjoy watching, and a surrounding team that just makes for a great football team, and epic games. Not a fan by no means, but I like the patriots.

Until the Panthers are in the playoffs, then there's no more love.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #39 psj3809, Jan 4, 2013
    Ha ha you do hate the Saints dont you ! Presume you dont like the raiders coach Dennis Allen as hes ex-Saints.

But thats whats so funny in sports, the second you sign a player you'll love him! If Marques Colston suddenly signed for you in free agency, the second he scores a td you wont care hes an ex-Saint

Steve Smith beats up a young player one year in training camp, doesnt matter! The player scores touchdowns so fans love him !

Thats one thing which puts me off sports, i hate Michael Vick due to his sick dog killing (and only admitting it once it was too late), lots of fans would like him the second he plays for their team if he plays well.

If a Raiders player (Such as Rolando McClain) got into trouble (He pulled a gun on a 'friend' apparently) then i want them off the team. In my younger years i didnt care, just wanted the best players, not i dont want any idiots like that on Oaklands squad.

As for Cam Newton, talented player but a huge ego. All the NFL websites/commentators said Newton was the one who instigated that kick/fight with Tommy Kelly (hence the NFL fined Newton).

But again fans are so fickle, hate one player one week, love them the next! Think Carolina have some talent but not a fan of Ron Rivera, surely this is his final season if he doesnt get it turned around for 2013.

Dont mind the hate for the Raiders, kinda like it as the Raiders have had that image for a long time, ironically they havent been the 'bad boys' of the league for a long long time but kinda like that image. Its been now 9 seasons of hell for Oakland and no playoffs, so theyre really the laughing stock. I've stuck by them though (its been tough !), when it does turnaround i'll be happy as anything.

(Hey no offence taken or that at all by any of this chat, its just a light hearted sports chat, i'm not one of those people to get upset - to be fair i love the NFL, yeah i dont like the Pats but theyre brilliant for the league and to have QB's such as Manning/Brady is just as good as the 80's with Montana/Marino etc)

20. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #40 k1lljoy_89, Jan 4, 2013
    Possibly a large part of it yes.

Saints are near the top of my hate list, above about 28 other teams. Don't get me started on the Falcons.

There is a rare Saints player currently on their roster where that last sentence is true.

Damn right I love him. One of the best best WR's and offensive players of all time. The most underrated of all time. You will not find a stronger love for one player then me on this subject.

He's also the most fired up player of all time. It's a rare play that doesn't end with a little squabble of some sort. I love it.

But yeah, his hitting Lucas was wrong, but that was off the field, and their own business. He was suspended and that's the end of it.

This does not belong in the same catagorie as the next man mentioned.

I will never like Vick. I will never welcome Vick.

The End.

Hasn't been anything like that since the jersey you mentioned before. Again, Smitty doesn't go in this catagorie.

Of course they said that. They know he didn't, but any chance to bash Cam is taken. They want him to do something wrong. F the websites, commentators, and any other form of media. Never have I see so much hate on one plyer for no reason. He does one thing questionable, and hes hammered.

He does one thing good, ESPN is vacant of all Newton talk. God forbid he does anything good besides stats.

He hasn't actually done anything worth the hate he gets. He took that 1-6 start pretty hard (it was also the onslaught of hate and negativity that got to him), and slumped around, but saying he's not a leader is beyond ignorant. You (not you specifally) obviously haven't watched or heard (he's got 2 sound fx mic'd up appeareces) him on the field. He has fun out there, and that's a good thing in every way. But you can't watch him and tell me he's not a good teammate.

He matured overnight after he realized his attitude has that effect. He did everything right, and came out of any form of "slump", in person and player.

Part of me is glad for the rough season cuz it taught Cam something, on and off the field, that will aid him in becoming the elite player that he is.

Ego is a very poor choice of words. His celebrations don't have that nature. He's actually rather selfless and if you can't see it, and buy into the media hate, fine.

He doesn't care, I don't care.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/01/3759821/cam-newton-proud-of-carolina-panthers.html

/rant.

I disagree. Believe it or not, I'm a fan of Rivera. Chudsinksi is a complete asshat. He's the real problem, and I want him gone. That won't happen with Rivera around though, and because of that, I wouldn't complain if he's canned.

However, I don't think he will be. There will be a success clause, but he's gonna get one more year. Playoffs or bust basically.

He deserves it. Chud doesn't but he does.

The players love him.

There's only one coach I want over Rivera, and that's Chip Kelly. I've always been a huge Kelly fan in Oregon, and if he came to Carolina id shit myself.

It's Chip or Rivera.

But it'll be Rivera.

I guess I can relate to that as I rather enjoy the Cam hate.

Speaking of Raiders vs Panthers, I forgot the sound fx video i mentioned was vs the Raiders.
    http://youtu.be/naDhD6uE0Ps