Any recommendations for a good Space Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CaseyMar10, Feb 28, 2014.

1. CaseyMar10

CaseyMar10 Member

Jan 29, 2014
    I try to give Galaxy On Fire 2 a chance time and time again but I can't ever seem to get into the game. Anyone have any good space sims they play? One time purchases or one with iaps. It doesn't matter to me. Star Command doesn't have much going anymore either. Played the game to death.

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Haven't played it but Out There sounds like it could be quite good.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    By "sim" do you mean managing resources and stuff (like mining and trading in GoF 2) or space combat sims?

I haven't gotten Out There because it sounds more like the former and I have trouble getting into those games. If it's space combat, the new Beyond Space is pretty good as is Strike Wing (less story but good dogfighting). But honestly don't think there's been a true classic yet in that category.

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    My favorite space game was Space Miner (TA game of the year, 2010) [thread]. But as AWP says, not sure what type of space games you're into.

5. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Maybe try ARC Squadron: Redux

6. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
  7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Star Trader RPG is nice.

FTL will be great when it comes to iOS.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    All of those are good suggestions depending on which side of the fence you're on (space management vs combat). Space Miner was one of those games that did a great job of strattling the line between the two (although the combat is not first-person).

As for more combat oriented, Star Battalion is another good one (yes, it's Gameloft and cheesy but still fun for a more arcade like space combat game ala Rogue Squadron).

9. CaseyMar10

CaseyMar10 Member

Jan 29, 2014
    I had space miner when it 1st came out. But ok open to any space type game. Thanks for the help everyone.

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I came here to suggest GoF 2 :/
    I couldn't get into the game for the first 2 or 3 hours either, but then it sucked me in and *BAM* I suddenly had 25 hours of playtime and didn't even touch the super-nova expansion yet.

Also, Drifter (when it releases).

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    For a bit of a more fun twist on the genre, Galactic Phantasy and Galactic Phantasy: Prelude are pretty fun if more causal romps of the Privateer/Freelancer/X-Beyond or as it has come be known on iOS, Galaxy on Fire style of game. Those two take a more JRPG feel to the genre and I found their lite-ness to be fun compared to the more tried and true gritty, lonely, bleak tone the genre usually takes.

If you are looking for the Galaxy on Fire 2 genre but want a game that doesn't feel as slow and plodding and dare I say it, fun in tone (not that Galaxy on Fire 2 isn't fun, but it is a different kind of "fun"), then try those. I particularly liked the second game a little more (GP:prelude) though both are fun. There are some IAP in the game but they are just to fats track you to having particular types or awesome ships, and aren't necessary in my opinion.

12. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #12 Darth Ronfar, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Space Miner is awesome...

Also Waking Mars kinda if you count that as space?

There's also Out There which is a new game that's suppose to be good.

And here's some more random one from different genres -

Star battalion, Alien Space Retro,Tentacle wars, Archetype, Aeon Comand

And finnaly another new game primal flame which might be a space game but I'm not really sure.(ok this isn't space just darkness, but it still looked cool I dunno... :/)

* Forgot about 6th planet (from Monkube) it's half space pod lander and half story told in comic form. It's about a monkey traveling too a far planet (I guess the 6th one) I don't want to spoil anymore but it's cool you go through training and stuff the story is great and the game is self is pretty fun. I think it's free to, so check it out.

13. CaseyMar10

CaseyMar10 Member

Jan 29, 2014
    I've just decided to to grab Out There. Seems pretty legit. About to start playing. Thanks everyone

14. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Good choice, let me know how you like it. I haven't gotten the chan e to pay it yet.