Dark Raider – Sneak Peak (submitted to app store)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RPGGuy, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #1 RPGGuy, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
    I've posted an early development video of Rocking Pocket Games next big game called Dark Raider. It's an action adventure game that has you running through dark tombs, collecting artifacts and keys while fending off creepy crawlies.

The game will have a lot of puzzles involving switches, moving boulders, hidden passages, finding keys to unlock doors, and a variety of regular and supernatural weapons. Each location will have a number of progressively harder level variations as you travel to the same location but in a parallel universe.

Some technical features:
    Full 360 degree movement (not like some games where you can only move north, south, east or west)
    3D immersive sound
    10 song soundtrack
    Custom software based dynamic lighting for unlimited lights
    Enemies include bats, beetles, gladiators, snakes, spiders, giant worms, fireballs, spinning blades, and spike traps.
    Weapons include pistol, shotgun, grenades, flame thrower, rocket launcher, fireballs, spinning blades. You can also use movable boulders to crush enemies.

;

New gameplay videos:
    [hqyoutube]60a1Ye2LW38[/hqyoutube]
    [hqyoutube]pWEn6Cf_EaU[/hqyoutube]
    [hqyoutube]5xS8B-cfM1w[/hqyoutube]
    [hqyoutube]w9c3OzWrQpA[/hqyoutube]
    [hqyoutube]7vwl8Yg9SgM[/hqyoutube]

2. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    it is really interesting title... any news when it will be out?

3. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    1. Health status bar?

2. Better would be if the player got weaker/slower each time he was injured and had to find/collect first aid kits to get better.

3. It seems that when bitten, the creature goes away without your killing it. Shouldn't be the case.

4. Alternate camera angles besides top down?

4. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #4 RPGGuy, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    The game has been in development for 1 month and I hope to have it finished in 2 or less.

1. There is a health status bar (upper right hearts). When your health drops to zero you'll be taken back to the main map where you can teleport into a level to try again.

2/3. Each time you touch an enemy you lose a heart, and the enemy is removed. So the object is to shoot them before they touch you, and get through the level with the given number of hearts. You'll get health upgrades as the game progresses. You might also get health every so many points you earn. Finding gems will give you points quickly.

4. No, it's a 2D game.

5. Sbell42

Sbell42 Member

Jan 14, 2009
    It looks interesting, but not something I'd pick up on an impulse buy. A short "lite" version would be nice, so we could try it out first. Also, it's hard to tell from the video, but don't pull a Chillingo and have the orientation so that the Touch headphone jacks are in the lower corner (my gripe of the day after playing iDracula ;) ).

6. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I don't normally care for the top down perspective (few have done it as well as Gauntlet), but this looks pretty cool.

7. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    looks ALOT like payback, which isn't a bad thing :D how much will this cost?

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It's probably going to be 5.99-7.99.

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Looks good, and sounds a lot like Legend of Zelda (as well it should being an action/adventure title). I've actually been hoping for a game in that genre on this device that is worth owning. Judging by the screens and the vid, I may have just found it.

However...I don't dig the "buttons". Looks a lot like Payback, as someone else stated, and if you recall the "ugly" look of the interface was one of the sore spots with that title. I think you should change it so rather than "buttons" there are just "hot spots", similar to how ExZeus is handled. Divide the screen into four "squares" (or five), and have touching the top right and bottom right act as moving forward and backward, the top left as item or whatever it is you will do with the current top left button (it's not in the vid), and bottom left as "fire".

What I mean is, no onscreen graphical representation of the buttons are really necessary. As stated, this was one big mark against Payback. It was an ugly interface in that game, and it looks ugly in this game, which is a shame as your game looks quite beautiful otherwise. If you fear that players need reminding of the inputs then what you can do is have it the graphical representation appear when the player is standing still (ala the FPS Cube) and also have it appear when the player pauses the game, but when moving have it disappear. Going by the invisible squares might also allow for bigger more roomier inputs without taking up valuable screen real estate. And pause could be activated by pressing the center of the screen, allowing you to enter into the menu wherein users can toggle the onscreen buttons if they wish to do so.

10. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I would suggest, if possible, to have on screen controls as an option. Personally, I don't do real well with the concepts of hot spots, even when I'm used to playing a game. I'll live with a slightly less than appealing look to the interface if I at least know where I'm supposed to be interacting with the game.

11. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Hmmmm... interesting! Kind of reminds me of the overhead levels in Contra 3 on the SNES.

12. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Quick idea of what I mean by the hotspot idea:

[​IMG]

made with MS paint in less than 20 seconds, so forgive the quality :eek:

Still, that's kind of what I'm getting at. The opacity of the interface could be toggled via the option menu so that those, like PointofLight, who want the controls onscreen as a reminder can do so, but also have it done in such of way where it isn't "jutting out", and those of us who don't need reminder can just set opacity to zero.

13. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Bigger hotspots available if control is divided in this way, which should alleviate some of the "my thumbs are too big" complaints given to the controls in Payback.

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I did those kinds of controls in Blue Skies (this game uses the Blue Skies engine).

The action button does change depending on what you're standing next to, so having it say what action will happen if you press it is useful. Otherwise I could have invisible buttons as an option.

This game is still has a ways to go before it's ready. I only have 1 simple test level and plan on having over 100 levels to play through. However it's already fun to play and I appreciate the early feedback. Better than changing things after the game is already released :)

15. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    One should not have infinite weapons. They should decrease as used, requiring one to find pickup to replenish them.

Can there be a timed mode? In this context, it might be nice if the player's speed slowed as his energy level (hearts) decreased.

16. Gotta say, that looks pretty sweet. Blue Skies was slick as hell, so I don't imagine this will be any different. The dynamic lighting looks sweet, the action looks like it can get pretty hot, and the puzzles will be fun to solve. Definitely one I'd love to review when it's out.

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Looks great. More props to devs not settling for the Bejeweled (with a twist!) ripoffs.

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Why not just do both, like IDracula did? Have both the option for onscreen buttons or hotspots, and we choose.

And this looks like a Legend of Zelda game, nice one. Hope it has a lot of levels and depth!

19. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, that's what I was getting at with the opacity idea. Instead of having an option for onscreen buttons or hotspots, why not just have an opacity option. That way the "outline" of the hotspots would have onscreen text/graphics for those that maximize opacity (and thus act as onscreen buttons), and for those of us that would rather an uncluttered screen we can simply minimize opacity to zero.

20. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The plans are to have ammo crates where you can fill up on ammo for a particular weapon. You may need to conserve that ammo and take it to another spot in the level (for example only rockets can hurt a boss enemy).