Best TBS/RTS Strategy Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dominator246, Apr 8, 2010.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Reviving this thread because I'm interested in what people now think are the best in this genre (mainly I'd like to slap a TBS that I may have missed on my device) since it's been a year and a half since the thread was opened.

Reading the Call of Cthulhu thread has me craving one, but waiting on that with all the control complaints (have an iPod Touch 2G).

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I doubt that there is much new stuff that would run on 2G. We are being left in the dust of history ;). But did you try Knighturn? It is a great little SRPG, with addictive gameplay mechanics, good writing and somewhat retro graphics. Criminally overlooked, IMHO.

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I did try Knighturn. The gameplay seems decent, but I just find the interface weak. It doesn't use my iPad screen real estate well, there are lots of times where you have to tap to select and tap again to confirm, or go through menus. I could take the same game and make a more touch- and tablet-oriented interface that would make a vastly better game. Even leaving the resolution of the artwork aside.

4. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Imperium Galactica II, an old PC space RTS was just released yesterday. Definitely recommend for RTS fans. Land/Space battles. Diplomacy. Spying. Technology. Design your own ships and tanks. I am pretty excited this got released.

5. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    I just looked up when Imperium Galactica II released on the PC... I remember wanting that game when it first game out and I can't believe it's been that long ago already. I'll have to finally pick it up now!

For a TBS, I really liked playing Great Little War game.

6. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I just looked up Imperium Galactica II, and wow, it looks amazing. Thanks for posting about it. It looks awesome.

Also, has anyone tried out Battle Academy? It looks good, want to be sure because of its high price.

7. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #27 Darth Ronfar, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    These are the new ones I have(or not mentioned) -

Turn Based

Battleloot Adventures
    Raven Mark
    Greed Corp
    Shining Force
    Finger shot Rpg ( highly recommended)
    Tactical Warrior
    Crimson Steam Pirates
    Rune Raiders
    FFT
    Crystal Defenders/vanguard storm

Real Time :

Knights RTS
    Moder Conflict and 2
    Battleheart
    Raid Leader
    Buccaneer Blitz
    Hills and Rivers Remain
    Ascendancy

Non traditional Rts

Axe in face
    Flaming igloo

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1 the Mangobile TBS games are amazing; it is a a mystery to me why people are not all over Knighturn and Sword & Earrings (Sw&Ear).

9. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    I found my old manual to Imperium Galactica II and, yeah, realized the game is from 2000! I can't believe it's been that long.

Also, "Land, Air, Sea, Warfare" is currently on sale. One of the better iOS RTS games. $4.99 for the HD version.

10. phrenik

phrenik Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Nurse
    City of Coffee
    Would hunters 2 [or hunters 1 for that matter] be included here :p I believe it to be a TBS, and I have quite enjoyed it, albeit the campaign itself felt short, but there is enough to do with daily "contracts" - missions, not necessarily tied to the story. And Its nice to customize your "hunters" with various guns, armor, skill sets and to level em up.

I only just got into these in the IPAD arena [played a few on consoles] so I don't really have much else in mind, besides FF tactics.

11. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Ravenmark, Battle for the Bulge, and Autumn Dynasty are all superb. They are my most played games.

12. iosappsrock

iosappsrock Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Hunters 2 is an all time favorite of mine. Perfectly suited to a mobile device, I've put more hours into it than any other game. Easily over 150! :D :eek:

I highly recommend Hunters 2 to anyone who likes strategy. Tons of leveling up, and customizing to do, so you keep coming back for more. And the strategy really is deep here. It's not alike a lot of strategy games, where different units are really null, and you can just go crazy. Hunters 2 requires you to build a good tactical team with different skill sets, and then develop your very own strategy for winning. You can play any way you like, and there's no 1 strategy that works. As long as your team is equipped in line with your tactics, you should come out on top.

13. hippiesrlame

hippiesrlame Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    #33 hippiesrlame, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    it appears most of the good RTS games have not been updated for the iphone 5 screen, not that it matters to some. i've yet to try autumn dynasty on the iphone (played extensively on the iPad) but I'd recommend it as the best overall RTS on the ios platform. i'd imagine the controls will translate well to a smaller screen.

total war: battles while not a true RTS but uses many RTS principles was also very enjoyable for me

14. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    If you don't mind, can you talk about the pros and cons of these games? I've been hovering over the buy button on both battle of the bulge and autumn dynasty but haven't pulled the trigger. Any insight would be welcome.

Haven't heard of ravenmark but if its in a class with the other two, please feel free to comment about it as well.

I can probably only get one at the moment...I would love some guidance.

15. genesis_pig

genesis_pig Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2012
    I am looking for some good tactical turn-based war games, preferably WWII games.
    Also, I prefer if the games were small in size (not above 100mb).

I am entirely new to these type of games.

16. genesis_pig

genesis_pig Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Is Glory of Generals recommended?

17. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    It's okey but the IAP is really a problem IMO
    I suggest saving your money foe something else