Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-05-2014, 11:07 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Lol I totally missed this release. I'll dip my toes in it
Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen View Post
Lol I totally missed this release. I'll dip my toes in it
Enjoy it, and take me know what I've missed, man!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 AM

Emmm! No thanks! Talk about minimalist gameplay!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack66 View Post
Emmm! No thanks! Talk about minimalist gameplay!
What do you mean, my friend?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

At first glance, it's Pocket Avenger in an endless runner form. It's got its different characters, tons of guns, my favorite giant mode, truckloads of zombies, the same disaster-stricken environments, and the same awesome sound effects. That's as far is it can go though. I couldn't really like it as much as Pocket Avenger though.

Getting 1-hit makes a huge difference and really shakes up the balance; that coming from someone who dominated the leaderboard of the first game week after week and finished all story missions with 3 stars each.

I accepted the challenge of having just 1 life. However, you can't shoot while jumping and the solution to that in PA was to use giant form for a split second for brief immunity and a stomp. That technique is gone and the almost random placement of zombies can kill you during jumps going up a set of rising platforms.

Double jump is amazing. However, the normal jump is wildly different from PA which looked ridiculous but felt perfect in height and speed of ascenst/descent. I think the high run speed in Zombie Z messed this up. To compensate for the velocity, the camera is zoomed out at just the right distance. I wish PA had this level of zoom but that would have made it even easier.

Your score depends on how far you run. Coincidentally, new weapons are unlocked by reaching various milestones in distance. That kind of means if you suck, you'll be stuck with the starter pistols possibly forever.

That is if you can even find a weapon sice they are pick ups. You don't start a run fully geared like in PA and you can't weapon swap or bring out your chainsaw. That to me made the action/auto-platformer that it is very engaging but here it's gone and simplified.

To be honest, the game feels very generic. I love Pocket Avenger. I want to love Zombie Z but I feel it only used the assets from the previous game to try and carry itself.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen View Post
However, you can't shoot while jumping and the solution to that in PA was to use giant form for a split second for brief immunity and a stomp. That technique is gone and the almost random placement of zombies can kill you during jumps going up a set of rising platforms.

Double jump is amazing. However, the normal jump is wildly different from PA which looked ridiculous but felt perfect in height and speed of ascenst/descent. I think the high run speed in Zombie Z messed this up. To compensate for the velocity, the camera is zoomed out at just the right distance. I wish PA had this level of zoom but that would have made it even easier.
Thanks, man, we will think more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen
Your score depends on how far you run. Coincidentally, new weapons are unlocked by reaching various milestones in distance. That kind of means if you suck, you'll be stuck with the starter pistols possibly forever.
When you see the milestones, will you think "Try the best, I will touch this milestones."? We do this feature because of it. Beside that, if you don't want to unlock by reaching various milestones in distance, you can unlock it by gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen
That is if you can even find a weapon sice they are pick ups. You don't start a run fully geared like in PA and you can't weapon swap or bring out your chainsaw. That to me made the action/auto-platformer that it is very engaging but here it's gone and simplified.
Thanks for your comment, man! It's great!