The Best Soccer Game: Analysis of the Big 4

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DPP13, Jun 21, 2010.

1. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    #1 DPP13, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Ok so as you all know there are currently 4 soccer games on the iPhone that everyone has had a difficult time deciding between. So, since I am bored at work and own all 4 I have decided to comment on each one to hopefully help some people make a better purchase. I will rank each one in a few categories with some info. I am going to post now and then update it every few mins with the new categories. Post any questions if you have them! Or any more categories if you want them ranked.

The four games are:
    -X2 Soccer 2010
    -FIFA World Cup 2010
    -Real Soccer 2010
    -PES Soccer 2010

Graphics:
    The first thing everyone notices...based off of 3GS impressions...
    1. X2 Soccer 2010 - definitely has the best field out of each game. The actual goal net looks kind of fake, and the player models are not nearly as detailed as PES. The weather effects are very nice, and much better than the other games, especially the heavy rain. I could see this game slowing down on older iPhones due to the heavy weather graphics.
    2. PES Soccer 2010 - definitely has the most detailed player models out of all the games. The weather effects are decent, but not as convincing as X2. The net also looks a little lame, but not as bas as X2. The field is well detailed, but not as pretty as X2. Some people have complained of graphical slowdown, but I have never experienced this.
    3. FIFA World Cup 2010 - Good player models and a good field. Nothing really stands out graphically like in the other games, but nothing is weak looking either. Typical iPhone graphics here. Won't hurt your eyes.
    4. Real Soccer 2010 - probably the worst graphically, as the people are smaller and not nearly as detailed. The weather also looks really fake, but the net looks really nice! (yes, I ama sucker for the net).

Controls:
    All based off the default control schemes...
    1. Real Soccer 2010 - Movement is very smooth, the smoothest of all the games. It is easy to switch players and you basically always end up with the guy you wanted. Also you can touch a player to switch to him which is nice. Seems very easy to overpower your shot though. Cornerkicks are easy to score on in this game. Its also easier to slide in this game and trip people without getting cards. Its also easier in this game to score solo, as your guy runs fast and can outrun the opposing players and score without needing to be set up.
    2. PES Soccer 2010 - Great passing. Very fluid, narrowly edging out X2. You get a real sense of ball movement and can easily pass the ball all around the field with precision. Movement is somewhat meh. Something just feels odd when moving your man, like he never quite run fast enough. Switching players is ok, but sometimes you get a guy who is kind of far off the ball.
    3. X2 Soccer 2010 - Same as X2. Passes are crisp, just not as much so, still very good. Movement is the same as well, where it just feels like your guy runs slow. Switching players in this game is similar to PES where you can end up with a guy who is pretty far off the ball.
    4. FIFA World Cup 2010 - I just didnt like this. Now your player moves very well, and quickly, but I just did not like the pass mechanics as much. I also do not like the addition of a "Special" button. It seems pointless and does not help much. I played this game the least of the 4 though so when I give it more time perhaps my mind will change.

Realism:
    How the flow of the game is compared to real soccer...difficulty I play on is included...
    1 (tie). X2 Soccer/PES (Normal, Hard) - You cannot go wrong with either of these games. Both have great passing mechanics, aggressive AI for your opponent, and your teammates seem to be in the right position most of the time. In PES they seem to be in better position more often on long distance kicks, but its not a big deal either way. Games are typically low scoring. I have only have one shootout on hard mode so far (a 4-3 loss to Argentina, boo). Both of these games play very similar in my opinion in terms of pacing, so which one you prefer will come down to controls or features.
    3. FIFA World Cup 2010 - A watered down version of the first two. Everything is here, it works, it just doesn't feel exemplary. But this game is also much cheaper. Games are also low scoring, teammates react well, and the pace is slow.
    4. Real Soccer 2010 - This game is definitely more arcadey. Even playing on hard mode, I have had games where I consistently win 4-0, 5-0. On my season in normal mode I consistently won games 6-0. I went the entire season never losing and scored over a 100 goals. Very unreal. This game is also much faster paced and easier to retain control of the ball. It is not uncommon to win games with the time of possession being in your favor by 70% or more. The AI is not as aggressive either.

Goalies:
    Kinda important...and I feel they deserve their own category...no rankings, just comments on each one...
    -X2 Soccer 2010 - very susceptible to second chance shots. Literally, if your goalie falls blocking a shot, expect to get scored on. He is VERY SLOW to get up and make a second chance save. Easily saves long distance shots and first attempt shots that are very close. Will often times bite on mid range shots and move far out to try and stop the guy with the ball and get scored on.
    -FIFA World Cup 2010 - again, need to play the game again. Haven't in a week and don't want to give bad impressions. From what I remember though, the goalie was similar to Real Soccer 2010.
    -Real Soccer 2010 - this man is a God. Expect him to save 98% of what comes his way. Seriously, this guy will dive through the air to block shots, fall to the ground, get back up and block a second chance shot. I have even seen him block a third chance shot. Very good goalie. Many games end in shutouts.
    -PES Soccer 2010 - Again, similar to X2. Your goalie takes a long time to get back up so he is susceptible to second chance shots. Does not seem as likely to bite on the mid range ball as X2, but I have had some really suspect goals go in at point blank range which is annoying.

Extras:
    The additional features in/not in the game and comments on them...won't rank these as I am just being informative...
    -X2 Soccer 2010 - kinda bare bones. No actual season mode, but has online play, and a tournament. Kind of expect more for $6.99...but has commentary.
    -FIFA World Cup 2010 - I honestly cannot remember the modes right now so I will have to get back on this one...I believe this game has commentary too.
    -Real Soccer 2010 - tons of modes. Be a Legend, season, tournament, online (though not that good honestly), basically has all the stuff a console soccer game would have. And is only .99. Very good deal.
    -PES Soccer 2010 - season, tournaments, I believe does not have online play (will have to check)

I recommend:
    For serious soccer fans: X2 or PES
    For just quick pick up and play casual soccer fans: Real Soccer 2010
    For cheap people who just want in on the World Cup love: FIFA World Cup 2010

2. Machida

Machida Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Gaming
    Mars
    yea

i like fifa world cup the best tho, it has much more customization and REAL players, and i think the graphics are real nice, controls work perfectly IMO

3. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    #3 DPP13, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Have you played all 4? And again, this is just my opinion. Im sure plenty will disagree.

4. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Nice analysis. I agree with pretty much all of what you wrote.
    Overall my favourite game is X2 Football 2010, followed by PES, then FIFA, then Real Football 2010.

5. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I think you were supposed to rank FIFA above Real Football. *Ahem* Sorry, EVERY football game above Real Football. :p

6. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Well IMO RS is more fun because its so arcadey and its the best arcade soccer game. Where as FIFA isnt even close to X2 and PES so I ranked them that way if it makes sense.

7. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I have to agree with you, I dont know what it is about this game but I like it the best out of all the footie games as well.

I also find its the hardest as well, X2 and PES are a doddle, you can crush the AI so easily. I find with World Cup game, its a lot more difficult to actually get into the area to enable me to shoot.

This is just my oppinion though.

8. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    I am going to be playing FIFA a good amount this week so I will change my impressions afterwards if I feel like I was wrong. Maybe I didnt give it enough chance.

9. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Played FIFA some more. Still not liking it much at all.

10. LUFCLuke

LUFCLuke Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    UK
    anyone want to gift me fifa so i can give my opinion :D

11. Mlw209

Mlw209 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    A lot of people underestimate Real Soccer 2010. The game has simple controls, very good animations, and a sh%t load of game modes. For .99, I really do not regret my purchase.

12. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Oh its a good game. I dont doubt that. Just not that much of a sim game. Fantastic purchase though.

13. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    for serious players I would recommend X2 or PES - but PES only if the device is 3rd gen or better - really sloppy play at older devices atm.

But at current price, buy it for 2 bucks and wait for update :)

Real Soccer is repetive and boring, FIFA 10 is kinda fun and X2 is quality

14. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    X2 Football is definitely the most "fun".

15. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Disagree. Getting way more out of PES because of its awesome control system