Universal Time Surfer (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    There's only one hand gesture I can think of right now...........

Peace:)

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Wow@Andy. Yeah, GC shows your score above SyntheticVoid by 118 points. I'm still struggling in the 4K's. But at least I'm still smoking y'all at Hell Zone... which I'm starting to think was just a fluke... though I've been bumped from 10th now to 13th. I guess I need to start taking long distance seriously. I just keep wanting to finish missions.

3. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    And why is that? Because I was curious about the art work, and asked a question, your gonna tell me off? Wow.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Woot! Finally broke through my 4K limit... got 6,286 before the end of the universe got me. It was nice to finally die not because of missing a jump or running out of time. Still, that's 4th amongst my friend list... but at least I don't feel like I'm so terrible at this game now.

5. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Time Surfer is an excellent game isn't it!

6. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    I'm starting to question that now :p

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    9,415m

BOOM!

8. Anybody curious who I side with between Syntheticvoid and Gabrien???

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Well of course I do... But only because I've got a personal stake in whether or not you like this...

Ill feel horrible if I had any influence in making you buy a game you don't absolutely love. =oP

10. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #190 Andy C83, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    To be fair Gabrien has said, and I quote, ''I still think this is a great game..'' ;)

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I don't think you're allowed to actually read whole posts and take all that's said into account, Andy. Put on your blinkers and choose your side, man.

12. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Damn it, I knew you'd be lurking about somewhere. :p

13. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    This game has characters with unusual hand gestures...the choice is obvious:)
    Not sure if the other game has rude wing gestures but I could check....

14. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ok, for the record: I only thought it was odd that SV would actually feel love/hate extremes between this game and Tiny Wings, as the core gameplay is very much essentially the same. Had he said he simply prefers this game over the other, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid, because hey, that's more or less how I feel about them the other way around. It was just an off-hand comment on my part in any case. "Banter," if you like. That's all.

Now as far as my reasons, I think interestingly, for the main part, it's something not wholly tangible. In the Tiny Wings thread, early on, someone (djflippy?) commented how playing the game "made them feel happy." Spot on. Tiny Wings has a quality best described as "heart," which this game never approaches. I also prefer its purity, simplicity, and focus, over the wider arc of mechanics and power-ups of this title. I'm not a fan of the time rewind mechanic on the whole. The IAP simply kills my desire to play, as already mentioned.

15. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Just played some more Tiny Wings and I have to agree much with Gabrien. There's something really special or "heart" about this game that's missing a little from TS. I find there's an ease and grace with TW that's charming. Also agree with the rewind feature...it can be heartbreaking when in the midst of a potential high score run and then trouble besets and the rewind can at times worsen the experience and there goes the high score! Perhaps I stink at this TS game or can't adapt fast enough to master all that's going on:)
    Still admire TS but I prefer TW.

16. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #196 Matt33, Jan 15, 2013
    Whoa! Lots of replies since I last checked this thread. I'll reply to some stuff.

Glad others are feeling the same way as me re: the pets. I thought I was talking to myself for a while there. Maybe the devs intended for the pets to not exactly equate a higher score, so the IAP isn't unfair. Both my high scores are from solo runs.

Yes, there is a mission where you have to hurt yourself 20 times. I've been stuck with that one for a loooong time. Yeah, have fun with that one if you're struggling on half that. I remember barely sneaking in the 15 one. FYI, look out-there's a mission where you have to make it 9,000m. I think the devs thought we would all be better at this game lol

The missions continue on after you reach level 150, only you stay at level 150. At that point they are just there for the challenge/cake reward if you complete them. But after level 150 the missions are so time consuming and repetitive, you're better off just going on cake runs if you need them, I'm sure you'll get more that way than from a mission reward. So no, that screenshot wasn't me at level 150 with 3 missions left lol.

I only rushed through to level 150 so quickly because I thought the dev might be impressed with how fast I completed it, I might get something similar to the golden top hat from jetpack joyride, given the similar choices of suits in this game. Silly me haha

17. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #197 Andy C83, Jan 15, 2013
    I agree with Tiny Wings having a 'heart' that Time Surfer (and 99% of all App Store games) can't compete with. But, is it really trying to? I don't think so. The end of the universe is chasing your ass, this game is about speed, adrenaline, and lots of it. As for the rewind time mechanic, once you really master it, it's a game changer. Personally I enjoy both games very much, and I'm glad to have both on my device. If I had to pick a favourite, I'd probably go with Tiny Wings for lack of a better word, the 'pureness' of it.

A couple notes on IAP: I'm currently #5 on the leaderboard and haven't bought IAP, (sorry Kumo :() nor did I use a pet to get that score.

Matt is the best player on TouchArcade, and #2 on the leaderboard. His high score was achieved without a pet. He used the best pet 10 times trying to beat his score (wasting 2000 cakes in the process) to no avail.

Using pets to get high scores quickly becomes an excercise in futility. I'm not saying these things to convince you of anything, Gabrien. I know that that also would be an excercise in futility (I really like that phrase). I very much respect your opinions on these kind of IAP, and your opinion on games in general. A lot of games are lambasted for their use of IAP, but I just don't think it's warranted in this game. Pets are useless (though my cats rock).

Please still be my friend. :)

18. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I think I agree with just about every post you've made in this thread. What is your GC name, good sir?

19. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Thank you! I'm Andy C83 on GC, same as on here. :)

20. BirdBoy

BirdBoy Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I've found the Don Terry pet to be cheap enough cake wise and very useful for free boosts.. It's not too hard to get five perfect swoops in a row with rewind. And I basically always get more cake back per run. I have a feeling the Mage might be the pet that is awesome for a very skilled player that doesn't use much rewind.