Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 PM

Nabbed XFR9LP9K79JP. Will leave imps. Great vibe so far
Old 05-15-2014, 10:26 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Nice, RM3P3PPFL76M was still live - thanks to the developer.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Played Astro Quest a bit and it's enjoyable. The "indie" artwork is appealing although it might turn some off. The buttons look small but they are responsive beyond appearances. The directional arrows operate like a slider with continuous movement (even though the middle looks vacant, it responds to taps). Tap anywhere around the A or B and it works, I appreciate the smaller user interface graphics because it keeps the playing field clear.

Initial levels are easy but later levels will force you to die (there seem to be unlimited lives). Levels have some depth with a hidden areas (complete with fake walls) and multiple levels to explore around. Some areas seem cheap requiring trial and error death, if you fall too far then you die. The level designs are nice and seem thought out beyond what sometimes passes for indie platformers on iOS. I find myself exploring the pitfalls of the environment more than fighting enemies at the current stage.

So far people who may have dismissed Astro Quest as an uncertain product, possibly one of those dime a dozen shovelware products would think well to reconsider it. Astero Quest is a little rough around the edges but not without merit.

Last edited by undeadcow; 05-20-2014 at 07:09 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 11:11 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Sorry my review is so belated. Sometimes life has dibs on what goes first. 😄

Dev: Hope you like it
Peteozzy: How's this for standing in your shadow? ha ha
Everyone else: pftzz... (a raspberry) Kidding. I couldn't resist!

Astro Quest Review

Astro Quest is a fun jaunt to nostalgia land.
At first glance, this retro piece of candy looks like the typical platformer.
But; it's much more. Astro Quest is the type of game that has you losing track of time.
The mostly fresh, out of the box developer is a one man team in a two man world.
But it looks like he's keeping up because he certainly has his way with pixels.
Ahem....
The game is named after the Hero's dog 'Astro.' (Get it!? He, on a 'Quest' for his dog 'Astro' -he he)Aliens have come to the planet & they stole his dog! it is a country song backstory in a sci-fi world.
The controls are customizable for anyone's fingers. Even yours. (kidding) The movement control works virtually outside of itself. Imagine an invisible box around it. So don't let the look of the small controls fool you.
There's plenty of weapons for purchase with in game earned coins, and the developer has promised more in the future. I really enjoyed the lasers. zzbt... zzbt...
You have your choice of playing this game in two ways.
*1. Keep going and win as fast as you can. Which won't be easy considering that the game gets more challenging and just as you start to feel comfortable, surprise! Something new and unexpected may show up. Of course I'm not going to spoil it so I'll move on....
*2. Take it a little bit easy. Don't worry about the score. And; look around. Finding the sometimes hidden nooks & crannies was more enjoyable to me then the dishes or going to sleep... hee hee.
Unfortunately, dreaming about the game instead of playing wasn't as much fun.
Whichever game style you prefer, (I had to do both, of course) you can still expect the "harder then it looks" gameplay. You'll get out plenty of times until you finally succeed. Luckily, for he most part, it is endless. Your character regenerates & starts over from the last checkpoint you went through. (There's plenty of checkpoints)
The only very minor criticism I can make is, i would have liked to see more of Astro the dog. Maybe placed in different unreachable places throughout the different levels, just to keep the back story going.
I would love to see more levels and I truly hope that the developer will continue to add on to the game. But sadly, the game did have to end, and so does this review.

Last edited by Lavender; 05-20-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Make Astro the Dog a DLC IAP character. We want to play as the dog.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 PM

Love this game! Like a mix up of Random Heroes, Devious Dungeon and a few other of my favorites. Controls are nice too. Why is this free?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:36 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Been playing quite a few levels on this. Really enjoying it and hope the dev makes a sequel or something similar.

Just find it really playable. Great work!
Old 05-25-2014, 01:24 PM

I love the game, I try to play it a lot, but I am getting increasingly irritated with dying over and over by falling through a 'solid' piece of ground.