iPad Mega Mall Story - (by Kairosoft) +lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by fluffybunny88, Aug 9, 2011.

1. fluffybunny88

fluffybunny88 Member

Jun 7, 2009
    #1 fluffybunny88, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
    Mega Mall Story by kairosoft is released!! On the USA App store at least, $3.99 go get it!!

Mega Mall Story

Kairosoft Co.,Ltd
    Design a towering mall of mega proportions! Attract droves of customers and elevate yourself to 5-star status in this ma…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Design a towering mall of mega proportions! Attract droves of customers and elevate yourself to 5-star status in this mall management simulation game! Add anything from fast food joints to sushi restaurants, stairs and elevators--even a heliport--all with a touch of the finger! When your establishment's popularity reaches a certain point, a "Fever" is triggered in which customers swamp your mall! You can then exercise your newfound affluence by investing in the surrounding area--bringing in even more customers and being a good citizen at the same time! Oh yeah! Keep your eyes on the mega-prize--only you can build the ultimate mall! -- Try searching for "Kairosoft" to see all of our games, or visit us at https://kairopark.jp. Be sure to check out both our free-to-play and our paid games!
    Information
    Seller:Kairosoft Co.,Ltd
    Genre:Simulation, Strategy
    Release:Aug 08, 2011
    Updated:May 10, 2023
    Version:2.23
    Size:50.1 MB
    User Rating: (8)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

lite: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mega-mall-story-lite/id447049943?mt=8

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPhone):
    Note: First 15.Minutes of Gameplay

2. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Tsk, tsk. First post - not spam, but too lazy to post appinfo? :D

Mega Mall Story

Kairosoft Co.,Ltd
    Design a towering mall of mega proportions! Attract droves of customers and elevate yourself to 5-star status in this ma…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Design a towering mall of mega proportions! Attract droves of customers and elevate yourself to 5-star status in this mall management simulation game! Add anything from fast food joints to sushi restaurants, stairs and elevators--even a heliport--all with a touch of the finger! When your establishment's popularity reaches a certain point, a "Fever" is triggered in which customers swamp your mall! You can then exercise your newfound affluence by investing in the surrounding area--bringing in even more customers and being a good citizen at the same time! Oh yeah! Keep your eyes on the mega-prize--only you can build the ultimate mall! -- Try searching for "Kairosoft" to see all of our games, or visit us at https://kairopark.jp. Be sure to check out both our free-to-play and our paid games!
    Information
    Seller:Kairosoft Co.,Ltd
    Genre:Simulation, Strategy
    Release:Aug 08, 2011
    Updated:May 10, 2023
    Version:2.23
    Size:50.1 MB
    User Rating: (8)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    ! thanks for getting the jump on this. :D

4. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Ack! I still haven't finished Pocket Academy yet!

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Always a surprise release, lol. Yay, another Kairosoft game.

6. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Another great game from Kairosoft.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Neat. Have been looking forward to this one ever since the disappointingly shallow Tiny Tower. ^_^

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Wishy washy question, I know, but to anyone who's played this: if I enjoyed Game Dev Story but didn't much care for Hot Springs nor Academy, how likely am I to enjoy this?

9. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bit of a silly q since the game just came out...

10. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    As far as I can tell from screenshots, the side-view angle means that the game should focus more on management and less on placement (looks like there won't be any tedious scenery decorating), so you will probably like it since it's more similar to Game Dev Story than either of the other two.

11. nivlek0

nivlek0 Active Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Student
    P.R.
    i Did not like Pocket academy...for some reason when i started the game it just didnt feel the same as when i played Game dev Story, but i have my hopes up for this one :D!!

12. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    same for me... not sure about this one.... I'm going to wait for someones review:)

13. nivlek0

nivlek0 Active Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Student
    P.R.

i always wait for the reviews, but for one at first glance i like the mall layout :cool: jajaj it just seems so right lol

14. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Wow that was fast! Instabought! I have a feeling this will be better than HSS and PA. I'm gonna sync and play it now.

But I have to ask a question, does anybody else feel like they jumped the gun a little early on this one?

15. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Kind of looks a little like sim tower, wonder if it plays like it. I loved that game.

16. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yes, No Game Center and Universal support? What are they thinking? :(

17. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Well, Kairosoft don't do universal support and only one game has had GC support added, so it was kinda expected that this game wouldn't have either really.

I've already been playing the Japanese version for a while now and it's one of my fave Kairosoft games so far. If you wanna know a little info about how the game plays, you can check out the hands on preview I did of the Japanese version a while ago.
    http://kairospot.net/threads/department-store-diary-hands-on-preview.61/#post-4893

18. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Is there a video of gameplay available somewhere?

19. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #19 SkyMuffin, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
    Game Impressions

This is very true-- the game lets you rearrange things for a very small price, which is much easier than in Hot Springs Story of Pocket Academy, where you had to completely destroy and then rebuild to do so.

This game is somewhat similar to the old Maxis game Sim Tower, if anyone remembers that. You run a shopping mall by managing the stores, having the right combinations of facilities for bonuses, and simultaneously investing in the surrounding community. These are all elements from previous Kairosoft games, but I'd say that the implementation in this game is much better.

The game revolves around managing several factors. Your two concrete resources are money, which is used to purchase new shops or invest, and hearts, which are used to purchase floor plans for new facilities/shops, or upgrade shops you already have. You get money from raw sales and hearts every now and then from satisfied customers. The result is that you have multiple ways of making your mall successful-- you can invest in the community to boost popularity, or you can simply get more stores or improve those stores.

The gameplay itself is a lot less focused on the player constantly answering or watching dialogues than it is in previous Kairosoft games (especially Game Dev Story, with its "boosts"). Most of the time you are simply waiting for the money or hearts you need to get the next thing. However, the game progresses so quickly (even on the default normal speed) that it doesn't ever bore you. The game is constantly punctuated with random events that make the game more interesting. There are holiday sales, "regular" customers who give you special bonuses (money, building plans, new customers), and a "fever" mode which activates when your popularity meter fills up, causing your mall to have tons of customers-- all of whom give you hearts.

There's also the return of a "spot" system like in Pocket Academy, where having certain facilities near each other produces special bonuses. The difference in Mega Mall Story, however, is that instead of forcing the player to blindly plop stuff around in an effort to accidentally discover these combinations, the game actually lets you purchase them (with money) from a vendor once a year. I find this system to be a lot more satisfying-- it feels less random and more strategic.

A few criticisms-- yet again, you can't set the game to "fast" without first going through the game once. However, it is not as noticeable in this game because the days pass much more quickly.

The one major annoyance I've discovered so far is that sometimes if you use hearts to improve a store, you can fail and lose all of those hearts forever. In Game Dev Story, you got a little compensation through "Bugs", which could be converted back into Research Points, but in this game it is less forgiving. The game also doesn't give you a percentage for success/failure, so it feels extremely risky. I don't know how the Random Number Generator works, but a mechanic like this encourages the player to reload their save over and over until it works.

There's also less direct interaction with your patrons as there has been in previous Kairosoft games, which could be good or bad. A superficial criticism is that you have people going to a mall and spending $10,000 all at once, which is kind of silly.

Multitasking/backgrounding is supported. No retina display, but it looks pretty great, as expected of Kairosoft. The music/sound is pretty typical Kairosoft-- a few repeated bars for music, same old sound effects.

This game is really addictive-- maybe even more so than the other Kairosoft games I've played. It feels more rich and fully developed than their previous iOS releases; there's a lot less stuff that feels like "filler", and nearly everything feels as if it has some kind of purpose and strategic value for the player. The progress in the game is paced very well, so it feels less like a big uphill battle at the start, and more like a satisfying simulation of exponential growth. I haven't finished it yet (just started two hours ago) to see what kind of replay value there is, but right now, it is definitely worth the price. I am already hopelessly addicted to it.

20. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Is there like an 'endless' play mode?