★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone vs Android: Software Selection Vs Bigger Screen

01-04-2012, 04:22 PM
iPhone vs Android: Software Selection Vs Bigger Screen

With some of iOS's best titles (Modern Combat 3, Real Racing 2) getting Android ports and some of the biggest releases hitting both platforms at same time (Grand Theft Auto 3), anyone tried those on phones like Galaxy Skyrocket and Galaxy Notes?

Currently my two favorite games on iPhone (Zenonia 4 and Kingdom Conquest) do not have English versions on Android, but I suppose it will be out soon. I am beginning to have screen envy. A 4.5" screen is almost 65% bigger (just like a 10" iPad is almost 100% bigger than a 7" Kindle Fire), that extra screen real estate really adds a lot to the experience. I think even iPhone 5 will not have anything bigger than 4" which may be a problem, why can't Apple provide a choice?

Gaming is iOS's biggest edge over Android in apps quality, and apps quality is in my opinion, iOS's biggest edge over Android period. I really hope Apple can give us two screen choices, similar to iMac/Macbook . . .
01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
all apple needs to do

make the iphone 5 have a 4 inch screen

now it got a big screen + better quality

01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure I see this happening. Firstly, a bigger screen size means apps are going to be in development longer to make the art and stuff bigger and still compressed. Secondly it means that it'll have to sue a whole lot more power to work with retina. Third, it means that devs have to work with making it fit the screen size at all (same reason why not all games work on iPhone and iPad as easily), which cause a lot of chaos. Plus more work for apple...

Plus, games do look better on iOS than Android all day...(when it's retina, at least)...

I don't want a signature.
01-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue016 View Post
I'm not sure I see this happening. Firstly, a bigger screen size means apps are going to be in development longer to make the art and stuff bigger and still compressed. Secondly it means that it'll have to sue a whole lot more power to work with retina. Third, it means that devs have to work with making it fit the screen size at all (same reason why not all games work on iPhone and iPad as easily), which cause a lot of chaos. Plus more work for apple...

Plus, games do look better on iOS than Android all day...(when it's retina, at least)...
A larger screen does not mean a higher resolution, 960x640 on a 4" display would work fine and still have a higher DPI then the pre-iPhone 4 models. There would be absolutely no reason for developers to modify their apps in any way unless they change the aspect ratio and I doubt that'll happen.

As far as games looking better on iOS then Android that's not the case when you're talking about tablets. iPhone games look like absolute crap on an iPad unless you jailbreak and install retinapad but even then they won't scale properly leaving a black ugly boarder around them. On Android apps scale to match whatever device their on.

Going forward I've decided to keep using iPhone's for at least another two cycles (2013 model, 2015 model) and start using Android tablets instead of buying another iPad. At some point Apple is going to have to start producing two different sized devices across the iOS line the same way they do with their Mac products.
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
No one thinks that the screen size of the iPhone is an intentional design decision? When you use those pop tart sized 'roids, it's difficult to touch all areas of the screen with your thumb holding it one handed. Comparatively, just about everything on the iPhone (and iPod touch) can be done one handed.
01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
No one thinks that the screen size of the iPhone is an intentional design decision? When you use those pop tart sized 'roids, it's difficult to touch all areas of the screen with your thumb holding it one handed. Comparatively, just about everything on the iPhone (and iPod touch) can be done one handed.
I agree but gaming is the one case where you will always use two hands, and this is where the same game offers (IMO) a better experience on Android.

Of course for now, you are still missing many great iOS games on Android, or you get it a lot later. Android piracy is a big turn off for developers. But eventually I fear the selection will even out and Apple will lose its edge.

Big screen choice = #1 reason for mainstream users to pick Android, really hope Apple gets on top of this!

Last edited by hitmantb; 01-04-2012 at 06:35 PM.
01-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Videos are always better on a bigger screen.

Game Center: B34$T
Proud beta-tester for a bunch of cool games.
Dual-stick shooter fan
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B34$T View Post
Videos are always better on a bigger screen.
That's why I watch them on my TV!
01-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Looks like the next batch of Android screens may be 3D as well although I'm no big fan of that idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...3D-screen.html

I do find my iPod screen to be way to small by modern standards and compared to other devices the bezel is starting to look huge.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
01-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Looks like the next batch of Android screens may be 3D as well although I'm no big fan of that idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...3D-screen.html

I do find my iPod screen to be way to small by modern standards and compared to other devices the bezel is starting to look huge.
Next batch? HTC, LG and Sharp all released Android phones with 3D displays last year.