Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

This is just a small homage to the old classic. Many of us want to play the original Tetris, but instead we get landed with a freemium version of Tetris by EA. Will i be playing this for hours and hours like i did with the original Gameboy Tetris, nope, but i'll be great to show a few people and have it with me

There are 100000's of games out there you could say are clones of past games. Some kids seem to think there were no games before the year 2010 !

So what next ? Apple should delete some platformers because they are basically based on Mario, but Mario was surely based on platformers in the late 70's like Miner 2049er ? That might have been based on a game so perhaps ban that from the app store as well ?

How about shoot em ups ? Ban every game which is a single screen shooter like Space Invaders ?

As i said above there are games based on the old game SIMON, or games based on board games or other similar old games, again should Apple ban those ?

I would say this is more an 'homage' to the old classic Tetris done in a gameboy style way for a lot of us 30+ something year olds and i doubt Park Productions (no offense) will be able to retire from the profits of this.

If you're going to slate this game then you'll have to complain about the other 40000 threads about games which you could consider are clones of past classics.

So you dont get upset by say Gridlee but get upset by this app ?? I find that laughable, many people i'm sure wont buy the latest Metal Slug official game as they can get it from Gridlee for free. But nope lets not moan about that and many others eh ?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

I have to agree with psj here. This is made with more care and love than the current tetris. Yes, it takes everything that was good in the old tetris (and i really am hoping for that space shuttle again) and copies it wholesale but the developer admits he was trying to push his and gamesalad's limit with a game he/she loves. More than can be said for the current tetris incarnation. This is patently (or perhaps unpatently) made by someone who loves games rather than someone who wants to make a quick buck.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

psj3809 and slamraman are both spot on, being 30+ I prefer the older games rather than the "interactive set pieces" of today. My games are my small way in bringing the older games to todays gamers and a homage to what I like to call "proper" games.

As for making a quick buck, it is actually costing money to publish games to the AppStore. After buying Macs, iPhones 3-5 and yearly Apple/Gamesalad fees, the money from sales does not even come close to covering costs. All the work is done purely for fun. Infact psj3809 was 25% of sales yesterday. But that's the fun of having even just one person play a game.

slamraman - no space shuttle but there is a surprise guest.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Dont get me wrong its a very difficult one to agree on, i mean i dont get why this app got tons of abuse yet the GBA emulator (Or MAME one) didnt. As i mentioned in the MAME thread, i love that app and will support any games like Metal Slug by Dotemu (i've bought them all) but i'm sure lots of people wont.

This app wont destroy sales of a 'official tetris app' by EA will it. A lot of games which work with Gridlee will hurt sales of properly licensed apps like Metal Slug.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Free for a day.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM

I really like the retro look.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Please tell me that you are kidding? By buying Clones like that you not only are supporting the Developer that should get sued by the current Copyright Holder of Teris/Dr. Mario but also sending a Signal out that those kind of Clones have a Market on the Appstore.

I strongly recommend everyone out there to vote with their Wallet and don`t buy any Game that isn`t Official to make sure that those kind of Developer don`t even start to believe that they could earn that easily a $.

Still shocking that this crap is even getting featured on the Forum while at the same time we are trying to make sure that a Company like Zynga stops cloning other Developers by picking up their Concepts.
Seriously, this doesn't feel like a clone or knockoff at all. In fact it seems tongue in cheek or like an homage. I don't think this is about a quick buck, it's about having an appreciation for the original and offering up an old school non-flashy experience. Frankly, I appreciate this kind of approach over the strange, foreign, illiterate, me-too copies we usually get. But that's just me. I will pick this up.