Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Armageddon...

Attached Files:

2. NFSMW is great, but sometimes I just want to enter a race without having to worry about other things such as nitro and police. I don't like the freemium model either, but I'll give this game a try because it's one of the only "realistic" racing games in the App Store. Unfortunately, Apple won't let me make a NZ account for some reason (keeps telling me to contact support in order to complete registration), so I'll have to wait until the 28th. :/

3. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Me three!

4. imuddy

imuddy Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I guess you won't ever be coming back to RR3, cause if you think EA will take out the timer all together you'll be sadly disappointed.

5. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    NZ accounts can be made without a problem at all. That's what I did. The problem is trying to get the free game while making an account on an iOS device. That's where it requires a payment method, and most people don't have that spare NZ payment method. Make the NZ account on the PC/Mac, and it takes less than a five minutes, without requiring a payment method.

6. I hereby proclaim myself the President of the Real Racing 3 Loserz Club. We will destroy the winnerz one day.

Oh, this painful...

Signed,
    Connector
    President of the Real Racing 3 Loserz Club!

7. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    I wanna join the RR3 Loserz club.........wait......damn, i can't join because i kill the competition in RR3 with my driving skillz! :p

8. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    LOL!! I laughed at first, then thought about you should be in a time out chair lol.

9. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    Dosnt the iPad 3 and 4 have anti aliasing?

10. Hobbesian

Hobbesian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    So people know - IOS 5 + Ipad 2 , it runs fine, it's a step up from RR2 albeit not a huge one, and it does run pretty cleanly (this may have something to do with me jailbreaking the ipad and setting things up at the OS level to work better but hey!)

11. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    My first reaction to RR3 being fremium? Rage! And not good Rage like that from ID software.

I've now sunk a good 3-4 hours play time, on and off over a weekend into RR3. I have spent no real money, and I haven't even spent the gold R things to speed up the process either, just hoarded them.

Over all, pretty impressed. Once you disable everything except traction control and enable manual accelerator, cars are a joy to drive and really engaging. Performance is exceptional on both my iPhone 5 (as you'd expect) but also my iPad mini.

I've unlocked a few cars, and as with any games like GT5 on my PS3, there is a bit of grinding ie you keep trying a race a few times to get first place, and eventually you can afford another car.

I like the implementation of the repair system, the fact that damage has a negative impact (stupid pun alert) ensures that you try to drive well, more like in real life. "There are a lot of cars slowing down into this corner, I should merge in and slow down and power out of the corner and overtake when I can" This mentality makes it more realistic than knowing "I'll slam full speed into some poor sod on the corner and use that collision to slow me down and overtake at the same time"

Repairs don't take long. Upgrades do take awhile. But due to my lifestyle I find I can't sit there for an hour at a time anyway. I can open the app. Do a few races, maybe four or five. Then set the car repairing and come back and play later.

Also worth note is that once you have bought other cars, you can drive one while the other is repairing. If you buy cars for different classes this lets you compete in races with your Dodge Challenger RT whilst waiting for the GTR R34 skyline to have its engine upgrades fitted.

So for me at least, (and everyone is different) the horrible disaster of the IAP system seems to not be so bad in reality.

Would I rather pay $19.95 for a 'pro' version without IAP? Absolutely! Gladly so. But is the current system enough to make me not play it? No. It's a good game.

My fear is EA will re-calculate the IAP system and cripple it further. Increase wait times, etc.

This is a game you do not want to install updates for without reading the description.

Tips: don't repair tyres, oil etc until you really need to. You want to save money to buy your next car. Drive gently and smoothly, take a racing line, brake into the corners and accelerate out of them.

Get a couple of upgrades eg start with the Silvia and upgrade the engine twice, but don't go nuts on the early cars. Save the money so you can get the better cars. I got the Silvia, then the Dodge, then the GTR R34 etc. Pick your cars well.

I don't have the focus yet, but when you unlock a tier that needs a specific car it is offered to you with a 20% discount but you have to have the money right then and there to take up the offer. Something to consider.

12. I shall see my driving skills later, then I will decided if I shall join this club of yours

13. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    1) A stark and grim possibility. They made it free out of greed, and I see no reason why people will pay for anything in the game. I am pretty happy as it is. But I bet the EA execs are not.

2) No can do. If done, it will be via a background OTA update.

Speaking of which, isn't it scary that developers are allowed to tweak their games without your knowledge? Isn't this against consumer rights? Imagine I bought a game and the dev tweaked it via a bg ota. I'll be delirious. At least a prompt message should show up explaining the update and a yes/no option.

14. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Great when you almost have a full grid of mates to get through :)

Attached Files:

15. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Hey Racer0007 what you doing to put 20secs on me at Mount Panorama? I can get a lot tidier and shave into Diablo's time but 20secs is crazy. You have a few short cuts up your sleeve?

Attached Files:

16. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    #1596 racer-007, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    I had a fully upgraded BMW car (can't remember the name) if this is indeed the first championship.

Three important things in Mt Panaroma:

1) Straight line speed. With two kilometre-long straights, this is obvious.

2) The series of high speed left hand turns once you made the climb should be taken flat-out.

3) Let your balls hang out once you get to the twisty section just before the climb downhill. Get as close to the walls as you can. Switch between breaking and accelerating your two thumbs.

I'm sure there are others here who have got a better time than that. I may just have drove a perfect tidy race. And oh, there are no shortcuts to be taken here. But in any case, 20s in two laps sounds good :)

17. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    For those people who added me on GC, sorry I didn't accept earlier. I have notifications for it turned off. Anyone else feel free to add :)

Bought the 911 GT3 today and I must say it feels way too fast to be in the Pro/Am world series

18. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Ok cool thanks. Ill touch up my car, hold a better line on the straight and hang my balls out. I'm not sure how the last tip will help me but at least it's comfortable.

My wife is looking at me strange

19. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Actually, there is more to render. Much more.
    Next to the hi poly dash, there are also 2 smaller render windows (the mirrors) that render the scene as well (albeit at lower detail and of course a much smaller resolution.)
    And I am quite sure you must have seen studders when you look at "My Cars" when you have a few on the tarmac as the camera pans by in certain scenes.
    There are also quite a few studders when you see the camera panning close to the car(s) before a race.
    During the race the framerate is quite doable. They eye candy is worth the performance loss over the higher framerate of my iPhone 4 (for example.)

Wait what?

Not sure if serious, or troll.

If you know anything about 3D engines and the sheer complexity of the Mint 3 engine running as it does on a mobile device, then you clearly wouldn't be saying this.
    This is *the* game to showcase on an iOS device at this moment and surprasses anything I've seen so far in terms of detail.
    So the trees don't wave in the wind and there is no crowd doing the Harlem shake in high detailed motion captured animation, but is that really what should stand out from the rest of the highly detailed graphics?
    (The road textures alone, thank you very much!)

20. I am a little confused. Do you mean they can change things like the wait timers without doing an update? Or just when they do updates?

It seems like some people are saying it can be changed remotely without update, is that possible?