iPhone Eufloria HD - (by Omni Systems)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. sillytuna

sillytuna Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    Hey all, you beat me to posting about it but as usual I can try and answer some comments.

You can play the game by amassing huge armies on most levels but not all. However, you can also be very proactive and play much faster. We have discussed adding a timed mode to push players to move fast but maybe that's one for the future. This would be entirely optional. The existing concept is very deliberately designed to allow people to play at their own pace - not always understood by reviewers but fair enough.

If you want fun, play the game as fast as possible. It forces you to pay attention to what's going on and I love trying to beat my times.

Fast forward button - it's thick fingers/thumb syndrome. I mentioned this a couple of times to my coding partner but in the end we kept it as is. I think we'll look at that in the next update though. Thanks for that feedback.

Beacon seeds - this is a really tough one. We discussed this endlessly. The issue is that, whatever you do, the game changes as a result. We think this is actually a design flaw which would be addressed on a sequel but can't be fixed within this game. Sorry, game design is a constant learning process.

iPad 1 owners - I've made a huge effort to bump the speed on the iPad 1 significantly. The game is also faster on all other iOS devices as a result, and uses less memory.

Save game - the game auto saves if you exit the app now, finally! I wish I could say adding that was easy...

Retina support for iPad has been added and looks great.

iPhone 4+ is officially supported but the game actually works on an iPhone 3GS. I can't vouch for the speed on busy levels but if I may be able to bump it on the next update should we find we have many 3GS purchasers.

iPhone only owners - 'Eufloria' is also out - iPhone only and cheaper ($2.99). The game is identical other than less music and no iPad support.

We made many other minor changes - please see the update in the store.

Finally, please tell your friends and also update or add reviews. We'd love it if people mentioned that the game now saves when you're playing a level - no more lost games after ages spent playing then running other apps!

(sorry, usual developer request I know)

2. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    Endless/Survival mode - was planned and partially implemented but we ran out of time to get it how we wanted.

We have to refresh the PC and do a Mac version next, including modding support, then we'll look at doing this new game mode and new levels for all platforms.

3. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Something I forgot to mention:

Just because what I said about Eufloria is true, doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable. I DO have fun with it, and I do think it's well-designed and does what it set out to do very well! Doesn't mean it doesn't have negative aspects ^_^

Huh. Didn't know survival was a feature that didn't get implemented. Glad to see that the devs still remember it. And that's quite an avalanche of work there! At least you have stuff to do, and I wish things go well for you and your team ^_^

Also: euphoria + flowers = Eufloria. I see what you did there ;)

... I think.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

4. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    #124 sillytuna, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    The name came from a competition actually ;)

No game is ever perfect and it's good to get critique rather than bland criticism. Eufloria is trying to be a niche game that anyone can play - this is a horrendously difficult balance and certainly some reviewers didn't like that it wasn't a traditional RTS or that it had few options. For a game with a (EDIT: supposed) lack of depth it's amazing how many hours people log on it :D

Eufloria is also peculiar because this is actually the 4th iteration of the same game (since 2008 when it was called Dyson) rather than a direct sequel. That means it keeps being updated and improved based upon feedback and our ideas.

I suspect the final stage will be Rudolf's ambient mode including new levels and also some proper stats. Both of these were intended for now, as was the ability to play custom music, but we can't do everything we want all the time :)

We have ideas for a sequel, including multiplayer support, but that's unlikely to make it into this version as we'd adjust quite a few other things at the same time.

5. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    Minor bump as Apple just included Eufloria Hd in their Best of 2012 :)

There will be a big update including a content addition in a few months time (for those who have played everything through).

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woo! Congrats!

And over the last couple weeks, I've been playing this A LOT. Just finished the Dark Matter levels, so hearing that there's more content on the way is fabulous!

Also... After MUCH thought and consideration over the last month, Eufloria is MOST DEFINITELY my own personal Game Of The Year for 2012. I absolutely love this game. I actually also place it at #2 on my Best iOS Games Ever list, right under Space Tripper.

I know it may not mean much... But with the current number of Apps in my Library at 11,500+, I think it's quite the achievement. Anyone whos into strategy games, or enjoys a game with great atmosphere should definitely own Eufloria.

Thanks guys! Can't wait to play through the new content!

7. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Are you serious or trolling that this game lacks depth? I played the first world and it seems kinda OK. Not very deep, but not shallow either.

And btw, congrats on being Runner Up for iPad game in certain regions (including mine).

Finally, please get your act together and correct the Android version of the game. It is so painful to play, hence me only playing the first world. I want to go on, but simply can't. I know Imma not alone cause others have complained of poor performance too (Humble Bundle).

8. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    #128 sillytuna, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    (iPhone and iPad sale now on - 99 cents iPhone only and $2.99 for the universal app!)

Thanks synthetic!

defred34 - Android - this is handled externally and we have held off doing the official Android release because of the problem. It's not a performance issue per se, it's a touch issue. Basically, touches are coming in too slowly and it made it feel like the game runs at a low frame rate even on a Nexus 7.

I stayed up all Wednesday night talking with the team in the US to nail this as it's been really frustrating for us. It turned out to be a new bug in their porting system.

The fix for humble bundle players (and this was a beta on the bundle - we really wish they could have been clear about this for Eufloria and a few other games too) should be out tonight or tomorrow, and we'll be out the Play store around the same time. Finally.

However, it should be said that Eufloria's rendering system is painful for older chipsets, and technically Android devices seem to lag 12-18 months behind iOS. It still performs better on iOS devices in general and you're going to want a half decent 2012 Android device for Eufloria really.

We're providing a free 5 level demo on the Android Play Store so people can try it on their devices first.

So yeah, I'm really sorry but trust me, it's caused us many late nights and a lot of frustration. We refused to release it properly until that was fixed.

9. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Damn, they really should have made that bit clearer. I know S: S&S was listed as Beta, but no other game. I have basically completed Splice, and that one seemed like a complete version. But otherwise, don't know bout the rest. Played Waking Mars on iOS.

Btw, is the game out on Google Play? When, if not yet?

10. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    The Humble Bundle is great but it is often essentially beta releases. I don't mean horrible and buggy but they tend to be the first versions. Coming from indies, this is where we get to test games and get feedback, especially when you have a lot of platform issues such as on Android and PC. It's the only way to do it really.

We hope to have Eufloria in the Play store tonight some time, both a full version and a demo. Pricing as per original iOS ($4.99). Fingers crossed. Never released anything there before - it could all go horribly wrong. Stress!

11. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Nah, I'm a pretty hardcore Android gamer too. Just make sure to SPAM the inboxes (LOL) of major Android sites with the subject line: iPad GotY 2012 Runner Up makes its way to Android. Brilliant to market your Android release!

Also, its not a difficult process. Easier than the Appstore. Will you all the best and look forward to a more playable version via HB :)

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I just purchased the game today and I'm not sure why, but it looks a bit blurry. Anybody else experience this?

13. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    The game has a soft look to it. Maybe that's it? Compare with screenshots on the facebook page for eufloria (there are two for some reason - find the one that has recent posts).

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, I purchased the HD version too (great, great game btw...really like what I've played so far) and I think I know what crex is talking about. It's definitely soft...not blurry.

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Visuals and gameplay are outstanding. I posted a review of the game some time ago on mobiletechreview.com
    Glad to see that the game continues to receive some much-deserved attention

16. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK

One thing we're noticing is that journalist reviews are rather better now we've made some changes and the game has had time to settle in. I can't lie, we were quite disappointed with the TouchArcade review and score but they were right about some things, did a great follow up, and also interviewed Rudolf in a Podcast. Kudos where it's due :) The game is a bit Marmite to be fair.

Previously, I think some reviews were still being affected by the original Steam release (& reviews) which was lovely but less refined and less approachable. That and our lack of auto-save at the time.

We're out on Android now, with a 5 level demo appearing tonight and the press release tomorrow. We're not sure how having a demo will affect things but if you don't experiment you don't learn.

17. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Its a amazing game will worth getting

18. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    Ok, so since a few of you are fans of the game, can I ask a question?

Next spring or summer we'll be adding a new ambient game mode and some related levels. We're also considering a new Story Mode but that would be an IAP.

This would obviously only be bought by real fans of the game who want more of the same (ish) so we need to find a price which is both fair but allows us to do the actual work and continue supporting Eufloria.

How many levels would you expect?

What level of difficulty compared to the current ones?

How many more one off Arena levels would you like to see?

What price would you pay (if any) for a new content pack?

My suspicion is that new levels would be more strategic, so more like levels 15-25. Does that work for people?

19. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Iap for levels or other added content would be perfect:) like what 360 and ps3 owners get:real DLC :)

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]

Right off the bat... This game already has quite a bit of content, so personally, I don't expect anything else... But seeing like... Maybe another 8-10 levels would be AWESOME.

Since they're going to be more strategic... The difficulty from stages 15-25 would be perfect, but I also think keeping in the option for the more casual difficulty for them would be a great idea.

Arena levels? I think another 5 would be great... But really, like I said, I think there's already plenty. Arena/skirmish stages are usually only included in groups of around 5-10... So you guys already have enough when compared to other titles....

As for pricing, I think it depends on what all would be included. If you're going to add more Arena stages for free in an update or if you're on,y going to include them in an expansion, or maybe a bit of both... Maybe have some story levels and include a couple more Arena stages but only with the IAP while also adding a couple free arena stages in an update... I dunno... But I'd say you'd probably get more sales if you priced it at around $1.99-$2.99 for 10 new stages. I think pricing based on the story mode levels that are included (like... If we paid full price for JUST the original 25 stages) and then transfer that over to what you add --- 10 levels for $1.99-$2.99 or 25 for another $4.99 or something... Would be the way to go. It just seems like that's close to other pricing models in the AppStore... But then again since you're pretty much on,y expecting real fans of the game to purchase it... When that's the case... I usually expect to get about 1/3 of the original content for the same price as the full game.

Im not saying that this is the best way to go about it... Or that this is what you sold do... It's just my personal opinion. Great Big War Game was kind of the same, including 3 add-on packs, each priced a dollar less than their full game ($1.99 for the expansions next to $2.99 for the game) but they include about 10-15 skirmish stages and an extra unit next to the full game having 50 levels... But that's more focused towards online play....

When it comes right down to it, I'll personally pay whatever I have to whether it be a couple bucks or $5-$10 for more Eufloria content. But I'm one of the people who purchased both the SD and HD versions as well as the PC build simply because I absolutely love this game. I really can't wait to see what you guys add next year! =oD