How do I remove a game, but keep the saved progress?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Flare_TM, May 5, 2012.

1. Flare_TM

Flare_TM Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi all,

I only have limited room on my iPhone so when I complete a game I need to delete it to make room for other games.

However, when an update comes later for a game I've completed/deleted, in order for me to play that update (i.e. new levels) I have to reinstall the game on my phone, but by then none of my progress has saved, so I have to complete older levels in order to play the new ones in the update.

The only solution to this is to keep the game on the phone but then it takes up uneccesary space and much needed mb. I've never tried iCloud or even really looked at it because I don't have an iPad, is this the solution? Even still I havn't seen many games (if any) that have it.

Anyone know a solution to this? I wish the phone saved game progress when the app itself wasn't on.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    What a game does with saves is entirely up to the developer.

Some games use iCloud, some can estimate progress from Game Center (Death Rally is one, I believe), some free up saved games for you to extract via iTunes (aka Junk Jack).

By default though, deleting a game will delete save games too. It's a bit unfortunate, yes, but that's how it is.

3. kujen

kujen Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    You can try using something like iFunBox to backup the app data on your computer, this has worked for me.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    if you're jailbroken, you can use appbackup.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    To summarize:

If the game uses iCloud (or saves to another server), you are all set.

If it doesn't, and you haven't jailbroken your device, there are a number of Mac and PC applications that allow you to see into the device's file system. I use PhoneView, but there are also several free apps as well (iExplorer, for instance). Just go into the device application file and find the Documents folder, then copy the contents to your PC. Apparently iFunBox allows you to do automatic app backup, but I haven't tried it. To reinstall the save game data, just redownload the game to your device, then use the file viewer to replace the content of the Documents folder with your back up.

If you are jailbroken, use appbackup (as posted above)

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You can back up any app without jail breaking pretty easily. I do it all the time. Use iexplorer, (google it) connect device to pc, go to the game, go to documents, drag and drop them where you want to save. TA-DA! The save file backed up. Experiment around a little until you get the hang of it.