that spider game.....in a nut shell

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sjleworthy, Aug 16, 2009.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    #1 sjleworthy, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    Hi guys.

Yup, Spider: the secret of Bryce manor. technically and artistically it's a brilliant app.

it's a fab cool game, but i've completed totally each level about 5 times round. i've pressed buttons, finished secret rooms/compartments, turned things on/off, eaten every bug to eat, filled rooms with webs etc etc, and it upsets me to say for such a great game, i'm now COMPLETELY board with it.

i'm quite surprised there's so little rooms and levels to be honest. I've read and even participated in the 51 page thread going on, and understand there's more to do? i've read the spoilers and they already concur with my own findings. (not that i've trawled through each page meticulously).

But am i missing the point? what is the point? is there a point? the instructions dont make it too clear.
    I'm in serious danger of never picking up this great app again because of this.

2. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    There is only 1 point: did you enjoy it?

If you did then the money was well spent and the developers deserve the praise for entertaining you.

3. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not sure why you needed to start a new thread about it, but nevermind.

This game has a number of modes as well as "mini games" that increase the challenge and extend the life of this great game. You went through it in "Adventure Mode". I suggest you try others for extra challenge.

there is "feeding frenzy" where you need to get as many bugs as you can in 3 minutes.
    "Precision" where silk is limited in amount and length so you have to be very precise when setting your web. and 2 others.
    I went all the way through it 3 times. Now on my 4th time and loving it.
    The beauty of this game is that we unravel the mystery through the eyes of a spider who is travelling from room to room eating bugs, finding secret crevices, compartments and discovering the story of the family that lived there. The images tell us a story in a very subtle way, but at the end of the game you figure out what transpired in Bryce Manor by simply observing your surroundings, without being told anything. This is pure art. The spider is a sort of narrator who helps you progress through the story.

This is not just about eating bugs, although the process of catching them is done extremely well as well.

Hope I helped.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You paid 99 cents and completed it 5 times over. Job done.

Anyway, one of the devs asked if anyone's gone for scores yet... and I don't think many people have. Get competitive, it'll take you ages to refine your technique. Try and complete the story mode with as many combos as possible, then refine your skills in the other modes.

5. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Corrected.

It's well worth the $2.99 though and honestly if you played it five times you must have got your moneys worth.

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Seriously. I paid $10 to see a 90 minute movie last night. People here sure ask for alot out of an app. :p

7. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Such an interesting phenomenon, isn't it?

8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    sorry guys, i didn't mean to sound too negative. it's a great app, i feel i fully got my moneys worth, and i'll try out the 'mini missions' for sure. i was just expecting something more from the main game, especially after everyone's convinced there's more to it. i'm just concerned about less lastability (in my case anyway) where idigit for example keeps me going and going and going. (i class myself as a real 5hit gamer, so if i can finish it this fast i must be missing the point)

perhaps an update or updates, with further screens in the future would be cool :)

9. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    I don't think anyone was expecting all the little secrets from this type of game. Highlight or quote to see the text.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=429963&postcount=47

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh yeah. I keep thinking everything's 99 cents now since about 95% of my games were, it's rare I go to $2.99.

Anyway Re: the main game, the devs have been listening to everything that's been suggested for updates, so there's definitely more content to come and the chances of it adding to or enhancing the story mode is pretty good.

11. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    the game is more of a mystery game than adventure. You have to find out what happened to the Bryce family by all the clues (pictures, secrets, objects, etc). You tell the story yourself. I don't think anyone has fully unraveled the mystery yet.

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The dev confirmed in the other thread that we're very close, and that there are two seperate storylines, which are linked in some way.

13. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

You seem to be missing the point really. This is not your average game where you speed through each level until the end, possibly with a story being told to you via cutscenes. In order to get the maximum from this game you have to explore each and every level. Try to look for the small details, to find secret areas and ultimately to solve the mystery. The story is never directly told to you, but you will see subtle hints that will tell you what is or has been going on and what really is the secret of Bryce Manor.

Approach the game in that manner and you will find the game offers far more than at 1st glance. :)