Universal Reckless Racing 2 - (by Polarbit) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    ?

So you saying its the best racer on app store?

2. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I don't know about the best racer, period, but even after just playing it for a short time it's got to be one of the best arcade racers for sure. Looks beautiful, controls great, pretty good amount of depth... unless something goes horribly wrong with it later on I can't see myself regretting buying it one bit. I haven't played a ton of arcade racers on iOS, though, admittedly. Out of the ones I put any sort of time into, other than RR 1 and Reckless Getaway I thought MMR looked very good, but had appalling controls and I couldn't stand playing it for long; I thought Draw Race 2 was fun, and looked fantastic, but the gameplay mechanics (drawing a racing line) didn't work as well as they could have done and got irritating a lot of the time. RR 2 is almost instantly entertaining, those visuals are gorgeous, and the new level of depth with upgrading your cars does seem to have some real effect.

3. AbsolutePhenom

AbsolutePhenom Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    I feel like us iOS gamers are spoiled when it comes to prices. We get really good, and fun games for cheap. Then a game like this comes around for more then 99. or 2.99 and some people freak out. 5 dollars does some times seem like a lot in the app world just because we're use to cheap apps. But this is one of those game you don't want to pass up, or wait for a price drop. It looks extremely solid, tons of content, and not one bad thing said about it yet. Do what ever you guys want, but if you want developers to keep putting out GOOD games like this one, you need to support them. I'm buying this as soon as it's available in the app store!

4. Cerberuz

Cerberuz Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't know why they complain, they can afford a $200+ iDevice(sometimes they buy two or more), but they can't afford a $5 app.

5. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Is there like a "Quick Race" mode?

6. Cerberuz

Cerberuz Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    There is a Single Event mode I think that is the "Quick Race". Won't know until i get the game or some one that does have it answers your question.

7. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Thanks for the quick reply though.

8. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    There is a single race mode, though you do need to unlock tracks in the campaign first, from what I can see. That's from just quickly firing up the game again though: I could be missing something.

9. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Hey, I said this very same thing starting two years ago and it only made people around here angry. The truth hurts. Games that give as quality of an effort as Reckless Racing 2 are few and far between on the AppStore these days, and the main reason for it is the exact thing you just said.

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Could someone compare this to Mini Motor Racing? In particular, in that game I was greatly impressed with the way the cars shifted weight into and out of corners and felt so totally "connected" with the road. Here, by comparison, the animation looks a little "flat," at least going on the videos I've seen. Anyone care to comment?

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  12. Cerberuz

Cerberuz Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
  13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's rough on the AppStore, unfortunately. Very few developers stick to their guns when it comes to prices. There are a few big ones, like Square Enix, that do charge higher prices and are still successful on name recognition alone. But then there's smaller devs who struggle to find a market.

The last Reckless Racing went on sale after just 2 weeks to $.99. And that's part of the problem. People now expect that there will be sales by most developers (to be fair, the last one was published by EA, which along with Gameloft, set a bad precedent with tons of $.99 sales).

Anyway, I agree with your sentiment and I do pay for high quality games. It's just the way of the AppStore, that people are spoiled with sales and freebies. Not saying I haven't taken advantage of that myself, but if a game comes out that I really, really want, I usually will pay a "premium" price for it. The issue comes with some many apps available that sometimes those lower prices and freebies are the only way they get noticed. I've found quite a few incredible games through sales. The only thing I can say is that if the dev is fortunate enough to survive, it does help gain them a fan base for future sales.

Enough with the price. I can't even play this game, but from the videos, I would be buying it tonight if I could.

14. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I still just don't get this at all - in the short time I played MMR, I felt like I was driving a cheap toy out of a Christmas cracker, with absolutely no weight, heft or real control over what I was doing, where the slightest contact with the track barriers instantly bought me to a halt and any impact with the AI cars resulted in a chaotic crash it took far too long to get out of. In contrast, I'd say Reckless Racing and Reckless Getaway had one of the best arcade racing handling models I've ever come across on any format, with just the right combination of simple, cartoony physics and a dose of actual depth, where the car sways about unrealistically and it's difficult to crash unless you do something really stupid but where a careful hand on the controls will always mean you go faster, corner better and finish higher and taking your attention off the turns will send you out of bounds. And RR 2 seems to have taken that model and tweaked it beautifully, at least from what I've played so far.

But you (and lots of other people, to be fair) evidently see something in MMR I don't, so... I dunno. :p

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #95 Gabrien, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Well, thanks for completely not answering my question! :p

Here are two more:

Does the game run at 60 FPS on newer devices?
    Is there any IAP?

16. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Agreed! However, I will admit that the 50th update for MMR did make the controls a heck of a lot better. I still only played it for like 10 minutes due to getting rid of it for space.

Personally, I like Death Rally controls. Smash Cops' virtual stick was pretty good as well. I agree that Reckless Getaway felt good too. I don't really remember the first Reckless Racing all that much. I just remember it was drifty like most other arcade racers back then. Heck, I just remember hating most of them until Death Rally.

---------------------------------

For future reference, the NZ link redirects you to your country's store once the game is available there.

Downloading now!

17. Cerberuz

Cerberuz Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I won't complain about the price, but i will "complain" about the game icon. Wish they would have made the design similar to Reckless Racing and Reckless Getaway since both games icons looked similar.

4 minutes left :)

18. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    There does appear to be a few IAPs - you can buy game money with real money, to unlock car upgrades faster. I didn't actually see what the different bundles cost, though, since I only opened the panel by accident (clicked on an upgrade without realising I didn't have the in-game currency to buy it). Given the first two cups are fairly easy with dynamic difficulty on, the IAPs certainly don't seem like they're even close to being necessary, though obviously I can't say that for 100% certain yet.

19. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011

I too love how the cars shift weight and behave according to their stat in MMR. Can anyone confirm similar in this game? Also, when the AI becomes competitive in the later levels, can you fight with it? As in, side swiping and ramming, stuff like that?

Yes I know, I enjoy a good brutal racing more than finishing first!

20. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Well, I personally felt MMR was...meh. The cars felt so light and floaty, and the controls were so ridiculous, as every time I turn I would veer and hit a wall and completely stop, or maybe I'm just not good at the game, but I honestly think it couldve been so much better. Haven't tried the new update to the game, so I wouldnt know if anything is improved in MMR.

Now, to RR2. Well worth the price people? :D