Pylon - ARPG In Development [Quantum Squid Interactive]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by QuantumSquid, Nov 9, 2012.

1. QuantumSquid

QuantumSquid Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    USA
    "Magic" Enemy

Hi guys! We have another enemy feature for you. This is another one of the jungle enemies that you can see the concept for in our original post, and this guy is actually in the first screenshot as well. This is the "magic" enemy, for lack of a name right now. Each world's version of the archetype will have different abilities, but all will involve some sort of magic.

[​IMG]

This enemy in particular has two abilities. It casts an orb that homes in on the player, forcing the player to move around a significant amount if he or she wants to avoid it. If the player does get hit by the orb, it does damage and slows the player's movement speed.

For its second ability, it summons lightning that strikes the player from above. It is an AoE attack, and is very hard to avoid. If you are constantly watching for the enemy to raise its arms to summon the lightning, you might be able to get out of the way, but you have to be quick!

Also, just a heads up, we are working on a gameplay video that we hope to get up next week or the week after. Keep your eye out for it!

2. jayjayjay

jayjayjay Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    so its a diablo like game?

3. QSI_Andrew

QSI_Andrew Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes sir.

4. jackbear

jackbear Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    marketing officer~
    Indonesia
    whoa, nice graphics man~

5. Rusothil

Rusothil Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Just wanted to let you guys know again that you're all awesome. Your ideas and goals are top notch, looking forward to this and ill keep on reading this thread to read your progress!

6. QSI_Steven

QSI_Steven Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Anything in particular you would like us to get up here sooner rather than later? We have tons of stuff that we can get 3D renders of like you've been seeing, and we'll continue to feature all of it. But if there is anything more design or gameplay related that you have questions about, please let us know!

Oh, and thank you! haha

7. Rusothil

Dec 6, 2011
    You know I'm not wanting everything to be spoiled too much. There were two things I was wanting to ask though. In the screen shots on the first page, the environment seems a little empty. Is this just how it is since it will be a diablo game with many different things going on at once? If so that's perfectly okay. And also, it seems like them enemies are all going to have certain behaviors which is AWESOME. How engaging are the boss battles going to be if there is this much detail put in to the mobs?

Keep it up!

8. QSI_Lucci

QSI_Lucci Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Artist/Designer
    Oregon
    #28 QSI_Lucci, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Hey thanks so much for the compliments. We are here for you!

The jungle area is not built around corridors and linear paths, so yes exactly it is pretty wide-open. Monsters, when killed, drop their loot and then disappear shorty after. We tried leaving the bodies, which was cooler, but ended up tanking frame rates, as they quickly pile up. But once you get into a level, and start fighting, with particle effects and crazy stuff going on, the screen gets busy.

All enemies do have certain stock behaviors that their archetypes draw moves from. A basic monster will have at least 2 abilities. For example, the jungle Melee archetype has an AoE tail swipe, a charge to act as a gap closer that stuns, and a basic melee attack, while the desert level Melee archetype has an auto-dodge on a cooldown in place of the tail swipe.

Then there are the 11 different Elite Classes that add to the interaction between the various abilities of an archetype, and whatever Elite ability they rolled.

SPOILER

The Jungle Boss monster requires some strategy, until you get better gear of course, then you can faceroll him. He launches a bunch of Tornadoes that chase you, and if you get hit by one, they do damage and slow you. Kiting around the tornadoes is a good tactic, until they dissipate. However, tornado launching is a channeled spell, so if you stun or interrupt the channel, the boss can't spawn more tornadoes until the spell is off cooldown. What might happen is a player will get slowed, the boss catches up and shield slams, which stuns you. Then he slams the ground, creating a fissure that does damage to you the longer you stand under on it. And since your stunned for a couple secs, it does quite a bit of damage. The next boss spawns adds, leaps, lobs poison, casts webs, drops pools of poison etc

Oh yeah, my duties as one of three artists at our studio is to rig, animate, level design, world build/asset placement, lighting, 3D model/texture, game design etc

9. Rusothil

Dec 6, 2011
    Wow.. This sounds incredible! Definitely at the top of my wish list. Take your time to make this game, don't rush as a lot of people here will pressure that to happen. This game is going to be something special.

Again, your ideas are awesome, from mobs to boss battles. I look forward to this!

10. QuantumSquid

Jun 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    USA
    Armor Render

Here is the 3D render of the purple armor set that we showed the concept for in the original post! Loving how it turned out!

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like it!

11. QuantumSquid

Jun 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    USA
    Enemy Feature - Meleesaurus

Here is the next jungle enemy for you guys to see!

[​IMG]

This enemy is the standard melee attacker. It has three attacks. It bites you for melee damage, it has a tail swipe/spin that does melee damage in a 360 degree radius, and it has a charge which stuns the player for a short time.

These guys are usually pretty easy to take down, but sometimes their charge stuns can be the death of you if you are trying to flee from a fight.

12. QSI_Lucci

Nov 8, 2012
    Artist/Designer
    Oregon
    #32 QSI_Lucci, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    Breakpoints and Basic Stats

Most RPGs build around the idea that increasing a certain stat makes your character more powerful. For example, getting more vitality will increase your health pool, or getting a new weapon increases your damage.

Pylon has that, but we wanted to switch it up a little bit too.

+Strength increases the power of your Strength moves, regardless of the nature of the move. The same is true for Int and Int abilities, Dex and Dex abilities.

For example, one of the Strength tree moves is Whirlwind, and for every point of Strength gained, Whirlwind becomes that much stronger.

This is where Breakpoints come in.

Once you get +50 of a stat (Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence), you hit the first Breakpoint. When you do that, every single Ability and Passive Ability in that stat-tree modifies.

For example, in the Dex Tree, your Poison Dagger alters. Instead of throwing ONE dagger, you throw TWO at a time, once you hit a certain Breakpoint level. Every +50 of a stat you have, you hit a new Breakpoint.

So as you get better gear, your abilities get better through damage etc, but also modify to become more useful by adding new properties to the moves.

That's the quick rundown; a reward for stacking stats and altering your abilities aside from basic increases.

13. QuantumSquid

Jun 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    USA
  14. SteakfryOne

SteakfryOne Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm a little late to this thread, but I just wanted to say, this looks great! I love the art style!

15. QSI_Steven

QSI_Steven Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks!

We plan to keep posting things for people to see all throughout development, so keep checking back!

16. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Subscribed!!

17. Rusothil

Dec 6, 2011
    OH MY GOD OH MY GOD. Even at its state I'd through $20 at this.. This looks AMAZING. The combat is fluid and the fps doesn't stutter. Oh and the scenery is also so nice! Can't wait for this!! Please let me know if you need a tester for this, I'm more than willing to help out in any way.

18. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Nice video. Action packed and buttery smooth, that's what I like to see.

19. QSI_Lucci

Nov 8, 2012
    Artist/Designer
    Oregon
    Hey Thanks!

The best way to help is to continue doing what you've been doing! That is, giving us feedback, suggestions and critiques on what makes an ARPG fun. Getting an idea on what the community thinks of our game, and how to improve on design and mechanics, is priceless. Sometimes we get too close and can't see the things you can see.

As for outside testing, we have only talked about bringing people into the studio for QA. It is certainly not out of the question that we have a more broad beta test, but that remains to be seen.

20. Rusothil

Dec 6, 2011
    That makes complete sense and I respect that decision. If you're looking for a critique about something more specific rather than a general approval, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be here to help!