Ipad 4 vs Ipad air for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ipodrocks123, Mar 24, 2014.

1. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Do you mean that you miss Chinese food more than microcenter? Or that you would go to microcenter for getting Chinese food?

I feel you, though. Northern New England doesn't have the best Chinese food, if it even exists. While microcenter has microcenter.com, I'm not sure Chinese food ships well.

2. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    So from what all you guys have said I think I I should go with the ipad 4. The ipad air looks nice and all but I might wait for the next generation to see if they update the ram. The ipad 4 should be supported for many years now. They supported the ipad 2 for 3 years and now the ipad 4 is replacing it as the budget apple tablet. So you think the 4 would be right for me?

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think what the forum is suggesting is that if you can wait for the next one, go for that. We dont know when that is though.

But if you need to get one now, go for the ipad air since that is more powerful of the 2.

If you are going to buy the ipad4 now, you think it would be wise or viable to get the next one as well if you already have an ipad4?

4. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Curious question, could the current gen devices (A5+) play Final Fantasy x-x10? Since San Andreas got ported over from the PS2 version and Final Fantasy X/X-10 is a PS2 game, could it be possible? Helps to know that Square released a HD remake for PS Vita and PS3.

5. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    If you're going to use it for mostly gaming then go with ipad air. I've used my sister-in-laws ipad 4 a little bit and although it is a good tablet the air is better in pretty much every way. The ipad air is so light and the form factor so awesome that it fits in your hands very nicely. You will have zero problems holding it for extended play sessions. It is faster when opening apps or browsing the Internet. But hey you have to make the choice so do your homework and make the best choice for you.

6. thegraywolf

thegraywolf Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    hmmm Ipad Air looks promising.. but I guess I'll have to wait and do my homework. This is very helpful, at least now there's some info I can use to weigh my options.

7. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    The only thing holding me back from getting the air is the 1GB of RAM.

8. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Definitely iPad 2014 will be obsolete in three years time.

It is currently 2014. So buy which iPad? iPad 2014...

9. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    My only reason foe wanting iPad 2014 instead of the Air currently is because of its RAM. Once you have used any iDevice, you will know how annoying it is when it force quits your browsing tabs or multitasking apps due to insufficient RAM. I noticed a vast improvement when I changed from my 3GS to my 5C.

If your iPad will be your primary computer like in my case, then you won't want iOS force quitting tabs and apps on you willy nilly.

If that doesn't bother you, would you like to buy my very well maintained iPad 2 that has even less RAM?

10. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    That's what stopped me too. 1gb might (or might not) be enough right now, but I want to buy an iPad that copes with the apps that will be coming out in three years.

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Right. Just drop a note to Tim Cook and he will hook you up. Tell him Steve sent you.

iPadcanspotatrollfromamileaway?

12. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I've been using an iPad Air for three months, in that time I've had one app crash (that was an impressive crash though, the iPad actually restarted, never seen that before or since on any previous iPad or iPhone. It was Warhammer Quest, it's not crashed since then). I have a 64GB iPad Air which is full of games (no music or video), so that's a lot of different apps I've used with no problems.

Safari does still sometimes (often?) refresh tabs when you switch back to them which is very irritating, and crashes to desktop occasionally too (but only on certain websites), with iOS7 this happens less than it did before but it does still happen.

But I agree, it doesn't have enough RAM.

13. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    You're calling me a troll because I don't think the iPad Air has enough RAM?

Seriously??

14. Don't worry, I have been called a troll here before too, it's no biggie. I agree with you, the ipad air doesn't have enough ram for console like gaming. The ipad pro will be it.

15. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    I just went through an update from a 64gb 4 to a 128gb Air.
    I made the change just to get the extra storage space. I was going to just get a 128gb 4 instead but I was able to get an Air for just $225 more than what I got out of my 4th gen.
    The weight difference on paper is very slight, but it makes a decent difference in real life. The smaller size isn't a big deal and actually the reduced bezel width on the sides makes me more likely to tap the screen accidentally.
    I haven't really noticed a large difference in performance between the two but that may be due to a lack of demanding games. I certainly didn't make the change due to performance issues with the 4.
    The biggest differences I notice are the Air sometimes needs to have a game patched to run on it where the 4 didn't, and the stereo speakers on the Air.
    Just getting stereo speakers and the weight reduction made the switch worth it for me. Other changes like the bezel are problems and not gaming improvements.
    I can't say I'd make the same choice if I didn't have a recent model iPad to sell to make the upgrade easier on my wallet.

16. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    The stereo speakers are next to useless for me because they are only for when the iPad is in portrait - and my iPad is practically always in landscape.

17. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, they need to think about doing some kind of redesign on that end because whenever you'd want to use the speakers landscape is the orientation you would most likely be using it. Other tablets like Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX are designed so as to encourage landscape as holding it in portrait is awkward with the glossy bezel on the one side. Why couldn't Apple put speakers on both ends of the iPad?