Um...what happened to abuse of in app purchase?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Genius, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Genius

Genius Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Um...what happened to abuse of in app purchase? People were really worried about incomplete games and having to buy extra levels. And so far we have seen very few apps with this feature.

2. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Shhhh... Don't remind them! ;)

3. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Why would you make a thread about this? lol :) dont remind them haha

4. Genius

Genius Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    i was just wondering since not a lot of content is on the app store

5. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

i was wondering that aswell. Theres not many apps using IAP so its abit of a waste when apple could have put so much other stuff in 3.0.

6. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    no developer wants to take a chance at jeopordizing the rating and purchases of their game by adding IAP

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Just because 3.0 makes it possible to set up in-app purchases doesn't mean it's simple or straightforward to do so.

Having the right kind of game to support the business model, coding the game-side features, setting up your own secure servers for hosting the relevant data etc. takes a significant amount of work.

Also many are probably waiting to see someone else prove that it makes financial sense before hopping in.

8. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah they seem to not want the backlash from adding IAP.

Since it was so strong before it was released, I guess they got the message ;)

9. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

it doesnt really make sense for apple to bring something out unless they found out whether developers wanted to do it first.

What apps have used iap?

10. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    search the forums because i believe there are multible forums that name all of them

11. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I think devs are a bit scared to add DLC with people like us prowling around. The thing is, we'd love DLC as long as its worth it. Those new galaxies in StarDefense would be a welcome DLC addition for example.

12. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I think the main games that need IAP are online ones. Like LiveFire will have it, hopefully they make enough money from IAP, and people buying the game, to have enough good, lag free servers.

13. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    hahaa how many apps are there again? isnt this considered content? 65,000+?

14. Midnight Status

Midnight Status Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    It's primarily a matter of having a game designed around the concept. Also, from what I've read only a small portion of players have actually used IAP on the games that support them so there's not really too much motivation to support it until we see it working.

15. bghoward

bghoward Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Game Developer
    Austin, TX
    I would guess the reason why is that there is not enough critical mass for the 3.0 firmware to justify it.

16. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    I know I've seen a few games mention they plan to sell add-on packs with extra levels, like Star Hogs and Geodefense Swarm. I could be wrong though.

Also 3.0 is still pretty recent... It does take months to program and develop games after all... We'll probably really see that stuff showing up in the fall.

17. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    The sales have gone down so there's no use of buying extra things. People are starting to lose money off of apps and there's plenty of apps out there that don't need extra purchases.