Best of its Kind - Tower Defense Winners

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Camzy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    #1 Camzy, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

Best of its Kind is a big poll where we try to find the best games of a specific genre. Winning games get posted in separate threads like this one for discussion and for people to see the games in more detail. Votes are still ongoing for newer genres.

Do NOT vote for games in this thread.

To vote for your favourite games visit this link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 with 48 votes

Defender Chronicles - Legend of The Desert King

2009 iPhone Game of the Year award! A tower defense game with an involving fantasy story that has led to numerous great …
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    2009 iPhone Game of the Year award! A tower defense game with an involving fantasy story that has led to numerous great reviews!

WHAT THEY SAY

“If a Tower Defense game had babies with Warcraft and Diablo 2, it would be called: Defender Chronicles.” – iTunes US Review

“After 50 or so reviews, I have struck gold. My first 5 star rating goes to Defender Chronicles. The game reminds me of Puzzle Quest, when it comes to being addictive and getting stuck in my mind. I have played this for more than 20 hours already. 5 out of 5” – iPhoneGameNetwork

“I am level 222 and have spent over 100 hours since I bought the game last month and I’m still playing!” - Defender Chronicles forumer

“Defender Chronicles – It’s better than Percocet. It pretty much got me through my 3-day appendectomy stay in the hospital last month and made me forget the pain the way Percocet couldn’t.” - Macenstein.com

FEATURES

- Epic storyline with Voice Over and Comic
    - Select between might and magic heroes
    - Over 20 different types of units with distinct abilities
    - Unlockable secrets from the Great Library
    - Hundreds of unique items for hero
    - 5 difficulty levels and 5 game modes
    - Endless mode included
    - Unlimited gameplay with freestyle mode
    - Extremely high replayability value, time flies with each round of the game
    - iPod music library access, email a challenge from the game
    - Online leaderboards, achievements, friends, chat using OpenFeint.
    - High production value: 9 original music soundtracks, spatial 3D audio, voice-acting, hand-drawn graphics, intuitive controls, auto-save, auto-flip, fast-forward, vibrate, HQ graphics option

Gameplay video
    @ youtube.com/watch?v=IUUZGyUGLOw

Walkthroughs, tips & tricks
    @ defenderchronicles.com/forums

Tweet us
    @ twitter.com/defchronicles

Defender Chronicles is developed by Menara Games and Gimka Entertainment Inc and published by Chillingo Ltd.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Role Playing, Strategy
    Release:Jun 10, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (6)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2 with 42 votes

geoDefense

The Highly Acclaimed Defense Game

*** PC World's 10 iPhone Games You CANT Live Without! *** #8: GeoDefense!!!
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    The Highly Acclaimed Defense Game

*** PC World's 10 iPhone Games You CANT Live Without! *** #8: GeoDefense!!!

"The tower defence genre is a popular one for the iPhone and iPod touch, and geoDefense blows them all right out of the water." -- PC World

"If you fancy yourself a tower defense guru, and you don't own geoDefense yet, shame on you. geoDefense is a well presented, well designed game that ranks up there with the best TD titles on the platform. Score: 8.2 Impressive."
    -- IGN.com

"geoDefense's vector-style graphics, pixel bursts, and warp effects more than set it apart from the crowd. geoDefense is easily recommendable for tower defense enthusiasts."
    -- Kotaku.com

"It's bright, it's colorful, and you might have seizures while playing it but it's fun as hell!"
    --Maxim.com

"If you're a fan of the tower defense genre or strategy games in general, this one is well worth your time, especially for the super-cheap price tag! Score: 8 out of 10 -- Download it!"
    --Destructoid.com

"Until geoDefense, I thought tower defense games were boring. Not this one. I love this game, and I went into it expecting to hate it. That means it's good. Score: 4.5 out of 5."
    -- GamePro.com

geoDefense

Something exciting and new in the Defense genre! The geometric vector creeps are fast and intense. With 30 different maps, each its own puzzle, you'll have to work fast to keep up.

Using exciting vectorized graphics, this highly kinetic game brings a whole new dimension to the defense genre. Devastate creeps with blasters, lasers and missiles and watch their energy debris swirl through the gravity wells of your vortex towers. Now it's time to figure out how to put that absorbed energy to good use...

FEATURES:

- Classic Defense Gameplay
    - Easy To Play, Very Tough To Master!
    - Fast Arcade Action
    - Ideal Touch Defense Interface
    - Tutorial Screens As You Go
    - 5 Tower Types With 7 Levels Each
    - Introducing the Vortex Tower! Debris From Destroyed Creeps Can Become An Essential Part Of Your Strategy
    - 30 Levels, Each Its Own Puzzle With Its Own Rules
    - Auto-Saves Game If You Press Home Or Are Interrupted By A Call
    - Your Music Will Play In The Background

To get an idea of how to do this, see our "How to Beat" level videos on http://www.criticalthoughtgames.com
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Feb 19, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    User Rating: (4)

3 with 30 votes

The Creeps!

Super Squawk Software LLC
    There are Creeps living in your closet! Defeat the things that go bump in the night with toy blasters, glue bottles, fla…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    There are Creeps living in your closet! Defeat the things that go bump in the night with toy blasters, glue bottles, flashlights and boomerangs. Summon a giant spider to slow your enemies, or a UFO to sap their energy! Battle Ghosts, Zombies, Vampires, Aliens, Dinosaurs, Robots, Pirates and MORE!
    Information
    Seller:Super Squawk Software LLC
    Genre:Puzzle, Strategy, Kids
    Release:Dec 23, 2008
    Updated:Jun 16, 2019
    Version:1.16.07
    Size:133.2 MB
    User Rating: (31)

4 with 27 votes

Fieldrunners

Subatomic Studios, LLC
    OVERVIEW The invasion begins! Pint sized soldiers are storming your country - do you have what it takes to defeat them…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    OVERVIEW The invasion begins! Pint sized soldiers are storming your country - do you have what it takes to defeat them? Customize your strategic defenses using a wide selection of powerful weapons. Control the battlefield with a vast array of tactics against countless waves of unique land and air invaders! Countless hours of entertainment and replayable challenges! Enjoy a growing experience through DLC maps! Do you have what it takes to stop the fieldrunners and rise to the top as the ultimate tower defense champion? KEY FEATURES • Retina display support for gorgeous artwork! • Addictive gameplay for hours of action! • Over 800 waves across 8 unique battlefields! • 11 devastating weapons for ultimate defenses! • Stunning visuals in a hyper detailed world! • Epic amounts of achievements! • Full Game Center integration! Experience the award winning tower defense game like never before thanks to full Retina display support! Stop the invading fieldrunners by creating mazes out of powerful weapons in this classic strategy game. Control the battlefield using limitless strategies and a diverse selection of upgrade-able towers! AWARDS • "Best Mobile Game Award!" 2009 IGF Mobile • "Excellence in Art Award!" 2009 IGF Mobile • #1 in “Top 10 Must Have Games” Gizmodo CRITICAL ACCLAIM • TIME Magazine - “Top 10 Video Games of 2008” • PC Magazine - "Must-Have iPhone Games" • EDGE Magazine - “Top 30 of 2008” • Boston Herald - “#3 iPhone Game of 2008” CONTACT SUBATOMIC STUDIOS • Twitter: @Fieldrunners • Facebook: facebook.com/fieldrunners • Web: subatomicstudios.com • Forums: subatomicstudios.com/forum • Email: info[at]subatomicstudios.com THANK YOU Everyone here at Subatomic Studios thanks you for playing our first game! Please rate Fieldrunners to show your support.
    Information
    Seller:Subatomic Studios, LLC
    Genre:Action, Strategy
    Release:Oct 05, 2008
    Updated:Apr 11, 2018
    Version:1.8.180368
    Size:71.7 MB
    User Rating: (23)

5 with 17 votes

7 Cities

Neptune Interactive Inc.
    7 Cities is a tower defense game takes you back to the ages past when pirates attacked the Seven Golden Cities of the Am…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    7 Cities is a tower defense game takes you back to the ages past when pirates attacked the Seven Golden Cities of the Amazon. This is a classic defense game with an interesting twist: the towers gain experience and get more powerful as they destroy the enemies. The new Open Waters mode now allows you to build your own maze for the ships to travel through. Set the Pirate ships on fire with the Trebuchet. Freeze their evil minions with the Tornado Tower. Electrocute the attackers with the Lightning Tower. Or better yet, unleash the mighty power of the mysterious Obelisk. More towers and special skills are in the game. Features: - 8 hand-drawn Maps - 7 unique Towers - Campaign mode to unlock new towers and skills - Survival mode where you can play forever - NEW Open Waters mode where you can build your own maze - 12 Tower Skills to unlock - Buy tower upgrades to make them stronger - Towers gain experience as they destroy enemies, so they get stronger on their own - A wide variety of enemies: from small scout ships to gigantic creatures of the deep seas - High-quality 2D graphics and animations - Dynamic particle systems featuring fire, smoke, ice, and fireworks! - Original music and sound effects (or you can listen to your own iPod music while playing) - Zoom in and out to get a closer look at the battle - Save & load any time - Online high score submission & ranking (http://www.neptuneii.com/7/highscores) - Pirates! Unique gameplay elements not found in other games: -Towers gain experience and level up (like in RPGs). -Towers can acquire skills through a Skill Tree (see screenshot). -Towers can be upgraded unlimited number of times. Try out Survival mode and face unlimited waves of enemies to see just how strong your towers can get!
    Information
    Seller:Neptune Interactive Inc.
    Genre:Action, Strategy
    Release:Dec 16, 2008
    Updated:Nov 27, 2012
    Version:1.6
    Size:47.1 MB
    User Rating:Unrated

2. Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Slaving peon.
    Not here; not there; not anywhere!
    I think the first two ought to be switched around, but they're both excellent TD games with their own merits. I've yet to try Fieldrunners. For now the formers got me more than covered.

3. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Mmm...

The votes went

48 - Defender Chronicles
    42 - geoDefense

Those two were by far the most popular.

4. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Can you post details of how many votes each got and runners up aswell so we can see how close it was?

5. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    OK I will.

6. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Thanks

7. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Done! I should allow at least a week of voting otherwise we gets results like in the puzzle game section with the winner polling 7 votes :(