GameClub Mikey Shorts (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
  2. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    New levels are good. Lines are more challenging. Either you spent more time on each level, or you learned more about how to design them. Good stuff.

3. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    We're glad that everyone is enjoying the update! Right now we are in the process of updating Mikey Shorts for the iPhone 5 and its new resolution. Unfortunately, that update will come at a price -- we will no longer be able to support older devices, including iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G and older. The reason being that Apple released a new version of Xcode that drops support for the armv6 architecture. And older versions of Xcode do not support the iPhone 5 hardware. There is no way to support both.

What that means is that you'll still be able to play the current version of Mikey Shorts, and you can even play it on an iPhone 5 (but not at the new resolution), but you will not receive future updates.

Sorry about that! I hope there aren't too many folks with older devices, and if you do have one, maybe you'll be getting the chance to upgrade to the new iPhone or Touch.

4. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Yeah your not kidding ?! there is a few with multi routes and always the hard route that gives the best score :rolleyes::D

5. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    That's honestly terrible news. Apple made this change as an incentive to push people towards purchasing another one of their slightly improved clones. Greedy bastards.

6. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Money money money apple going to milk the cash cow for every drop :(

7. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Unfortunately, that is the way it is. And they put us in the position to have to drop support, even though we made great efforts to support older devices. But on the flip side, not having to deal with old hardware will be really nice on many levels. Not to mention a lot of newer games have already dropped support for old hardware. Even before iOS6, there have been a bunch of games that I can't play on my iPad1.

8. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #628 mkaen, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    delete

9. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, that's the issue with the mobile phone industry -- it moves at lightning speed. And I agree that you have to eventually drop support for older stuff, because it becomes a pain to support (for Apple and devs). Just becomes very expensive!

Our main issue with iPhone5 support is that neither of us have an iPhone5, and we are locked into our current contracts until next year. I'm tempted to get a new Touch, but I believe they won't be released until October some time. Our biggest area of concern is the controls, and it is tough to really test those out (and set a default position for the iPhone5) when we can't physically do that with the real hardware.

We'll figure something out!

10. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #630 mkaen, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    delete

11. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    That is good to hear, because that is the change I just made today to set the controls on the iPhone5 -- they will be the same distance from the edges of the screen. And I can see them in the simulator, just can't try them out as I would on real hardware.

But you're right, and I think that is what we'll go with. The nice thing is that you can always change their position, so if people don't like the default setting on the iPhone5, then they'll be easy to change. :)

12. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    #632 xzamplezz, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    A different universe? A universe where you don't spend 300+ dollars on improvements that make an insignificant difference. The universe where money isn't wasted. I'm comfortable in this universe.

13. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Competition is tough On challenge mode 52k is elite score come on people lets get more of us here :) :cool:

14. Megagator

Megagator Member

May 9, 2012
    U.S.
    Will you have any beta builds for iPhone 5 users? I'd love to help push this game forward!

15. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    We actually got lucky! Last night, qpawn was able to meetup with a friend that had gotten an iPhone5. So we pushed a build out to test, and qpawn was very happy with the results, and the default controller positions we have set. Just some minor tweaks to make, and then we have to test and make sure we didn't screw anything up on older iPhones or iPad. Hopefully we'll submit later today!

16. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    God! I love this game...
    It has this element which makes me play it all the time. Good job.

17. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    That's what we like to hear! Thanks, and we're glad that you are having a lot of fun with the game! :)

18. wlxv

wlxv New Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Finland
    Awesome game! Good job mikeg123 and qpawn!

clocked in over 40 hours so far and still playing :) number one in challenge mode :cool:

19. Megagator

Megagator Member

May 9, 2012
    U.S.
    Awesome! Cannot wait. :)

20. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Great, thanks! And congrats on #1 in challenge mode. There appears to be some stiff competition going on. :)