A $40 game ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by psj3809, Apr 25, 2018.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #1 psj3809, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Now i'm someone who buys games on release as i want the dev to get the maximum money rather than wait for a sale for 99c and then moan when the dev goes out of business as he cant sell enough !

The most expensive i've bought i think was about $15 for X-Com. Also the last year or two, if a games $10 its £10 in the UK so its nearly double. If a games $25 we pay £25 which is basically $35 so us brits are paying way more anyway.

But Square Enix who regularly have expensive games apparently will release their next game for $40 ? (So that would be £40 in the UK !).

Crazy ! What are your thoughts ? I'm quite happy buying a quality AAA game on iOS for $20 (£20) but i must admit anything above that i wont out of principle as its high (and even more expensive for us brits)

Thoughts ?

2. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Oh, Square Enix...Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one...

3. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    "But Square Enix who regularly have expensive games apparently will release their next game for $40 ? (So that would be £40 in the UK !)."

That works out around £28.71 is the CVI game around £50 or so?

If the game is worth the money they asking then i do not see it as a problem, i mean look at console/PC games these days command £30 pounds and upwards.

Thing is with the history of the app store and the newest updates seem to break old games how long are Square Enix going to support this title once its released.

I suppose if down the line the game stops working due to latest update you could claim your money back if apple would allow that?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I tried getting my money back on Bioshixk out of principle but as it was a few months Apple said no

That’s the thing once a new OS comes out or something similar you have to have trust that they’ll update this

5. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I recently quit Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time, for the 3rd and final time. I first DL-ed it when it came out in 2013. Quit it twice out of frustration, but went back to it when some updates fixed enough the the issues. This time, I also deleted it out of sheer disgust. It's a shame since in the 4 years i did play the game, it was overall fun. I would've gladly paid $50 to $150 to not have to put up with all the grinding, being forced to try their new Battlez mode just to reap max rewards (and not to mention it was just unfun), and timed restrictions. But the way their freemium model is, $200 would only scratch the surface. Oh well. Another issue I've been having with video games is sometimes, you can't spend the money when you'd like to :\

AFAIK, they're experimenting with finding a price point that makes them want to bother updating it for a new iOS version, but won't completely price them out of the market (if that's even possible!?). I heard these days, some devs would much rather stick with Steam. They can charge more, and AFAIK, Steam doesn't keep updating their OS, and forcing developers to pour in up to insane amounts of time just to keep up with the joneses.

6. gamingaficionado

gamingaficionado Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    what's the next square enix game again?

and yeah 40 bucks is way too much for a digital game that will be rendered obsolete and unplayable in a few years. at least on dedicated consoles your games will work for eternity on them.

these companies are just getting too greedy and cocky because the consumers send them the memo.

7. tleotm

tleotm New Member

May 7, 2018
    This group of Japanese made a good game such as the Nier: Automata, and sold it at $60 in the world. Holy $60!:mad::mad::mad:

8. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017

[​IMG]

Oh, Nier: Automata. I like it very much. :D

But the subject of this Thread is probably mobile...:rolleyes:

Of course, in good games, I am willing to give enough value and pay for it at any time. :p

9. ragnar28

ragnar28 Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Freelance graphic designer
    I pretty much agree with this but even consoles are now thrashing out games that lack depth and are more cinematics than actual game play witch is shallow in design to say the least. For example on pc if i today sat with oblivion and skyrim i would pay more for oblivion than skyrim any day. Mobile games ??? at the rate mobile operating systems advance i wouldn't pay that it would be obsolete too fast.

10. PaulineGill

PaulineGill Member

May 9, 2018
    Student
    San Diego, CA
    The game may cost $40. But the question is - how many people will actually buy it. That's expensive.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly. Also it may break a year later when ios 12 or whatever comes out or if they dont sell enough they'll stop supporting it. I'm all for paying 'premier' prices (£10-£15) but again in the UK we pay much more for our games, a $10 game is £10 which is frustrating

12. Avellone

Avellone Member
    Patreon Silver

Dec 1, 2017
    I am actually very supportive of higher price points. I want to see more in depth experiences on mobile and am happy to have developers charge $40 or $60 to give us games that cost that on console or pc.

I would also like to see more games that only support the most current devices and allow them to flex their muscles more.

13. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    I would support higher price points from developers who have demonstrated update loyalty. The list of games that I can see that I paid for and can’t play pales in comparison to the list of games that quietly disappeared off my purchase history. Those lists at App Store prices cost hundreds. Those lists at retail prices would have cost thousands.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Difference is a game on console or PC probably wont break when a patch to Windows comes along

Say i buy a $30 IOS game (So thats £30 in the UK nearly double) it might break a year later once ios 13 comes out or at some stage in the future when 64 bit games die and they're 128 bit only ;) (Granted that might be some time)

If the dev doesnt sell enough copies he probably wont support it some point in the future. Again seen that before, devs dont make enough money so quit ios and get a new dev license. Or they sell the game to another company and then we have to buy it again.

Used to buy a LOT of games but the 32 bit app calypse has made me more cautious