Universal Ala Mobile - Formula racing coming on 18th of July

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CviGames, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CviGames

CviGames Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    #1 CviGames, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Update: beta is now available, with all tracks and features, for everyone interested in testing, give me your email address for Test Flight download

Hello guys, it’s time for me to unveil something about the game I’ve been working on night and days on these last month of silence :) and I am pretty excited about it.
    Here are the very first footage of Ala Mobile. A game about single seater cars, inspired by Formula 1, but with gameplay, rules and regulations tailored on mobile gaming experience needs.
    Graphics is still under development, so a lot of things are still subject to changes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The elder of you maybe remember the iconic Formula1 1997 game developed by Psygnosis for PS One. I know it’s an old game, but I always thought it had the right philosophy for a Formula Game, and I took some inspiration from it when modeling the car dynamics and the overall look and feel of the game.

Ala Mobile will feature several game modes:
    -Championship: a full formula season with 20 real tracks.
    -Race Weekend :Qualifying and Race
    -Quick race
    -Time attack: To compete in a global leaderboard

All tracks are real laser-scanned tracks (some of you maybe will recognize some of them from the pictures above). The game runs at 60 FPS on iPhone 6S at the moment without any issue, with real time reflections on and other graphics effects. There will be 20 cars in each race.
    Some info on the race characteristics:
    -Several tyre compounds for customized race strategy
    -Smart IA. CPU cars will react in a realistic way, they will overtake you and give life to epic battles depending on the difficulty you select.
    -Real time damages and failures. If you enable damages, you will have to be really careful and treat your car good, in order to preserve engine and gearbox :)
    -Penalties and disqualification system. If you enable this, don’t drive dangerously ;)
    -Ala Mobile. Which is the Italian for “movable wing”. A sistem similar to the one you can see in Formula 1 called DRS.
    -Team radios. Unlike in M.U.D. Rally, here the track engineer won’t be rude. I swear.
    Beta tests should start in a few week, the time needed to add the final tracks, graphics details and some good features.
    As always, I love hearing from you for critics, ideas and suggestions.
    I will try to load a video soon. :eek:

2. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Massive fan of F1 - this looks really good and id be keen to join the Beta if you are looking for anyone, a few thoughts/ideas

- MFI controller support?
    - Weather?
    - Pit stops?
    - Assuming there are faster/slower teams are there plans for a career mode? I feel it always helps the longevity of a racing game especially if the team is setting goals you have to achieve
    - For additional modes I always enjoyed the "situation" modes from games in the past, i.e. you have a blowout and have to make it to the pits but still make top 10 or you've pitted for wets and everyone's on slicks so try and make up places

3. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Thank your Stelph for your interest!
    You will be notified when beta tests begin so that you can join them.
    Answering your questions:
    -Currenlty MFI controller is not implemented, but it will probably come with a new update if the game performs well on the store.
    -I am currently studying a way to implement a robust weather system that can give the same realism we are achieving in sunny conditions, and good graphical effects at the same time. It will probably be available on day 1.
    -Pit stops are ready and bugs-free :) . Player can change tires, repair car, and so does the AI, adding that tactical element that is vital for a formula racing game :)
    -A career mode, that allows player to start with less-powerful cars and go forth with better ones based on achievements is something I planned to feature in the future. The philosophy behind each game branded CVi Games is simplicity. We want players to be able to play in their 5 minutes free-time. On day 1, we will probably let the player chose it’s own “difficulty factor”, that will be based on several variables:
    -difficulty level of the AI: easy, medium and pro
    -Penalties on/off
    -Damages on/off
    -random Failures on/off
    -race length.
    I played a lot of racing games in the past. What I found out is that -no matter how much the game logic is smart- it will never be as smart as the player choosing its own objectives and achievements.
    An example: a famous game of not so long ago allowed you to start with one out of the three less powerful cars. Giving you objectives like “finish at least 14th in this race. Well it was not difficult to finish in 1st, “overkilling” the achievement requests, and making them totally meaningless. If I find the way to make it perfect, I will add it in the future.
    A little thing about the striving-for-perfection thing... my past games, m.u.d. rally and pure rally racing, did not feature AI cars. In almost all Racing games, AI simply sucks. There are just cars going around the track, without even caring for player car. Before adding AI cars into one of my games, I wanted it to be challenging. I wanted it to be smart and “alive”. And so it is, in Ala Mobile :D

Cooper04 likes this.
  4. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback, it all sounds great

On the career, I get the point about wanting short bursts of gaming but I think a career mode would really help those looking for a little bit more than those 5 mins bursts - adding a bit more longevity to the game and possibly even strategy with things like team orders, attracting sponsors, car development, contracts for switching teams etc - but can see you’d want to get the basics working first!

5. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    I will plan something based on what you depicted, and figure out a way to leave an opened door for one of the first updates. I thought about it and I see your point: engaging those gamers that are demanding for more :)

6. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Good news! Along the same lines of gamer engagement perhaps an online multiplayer mode would be popular as well?

Also another feature thought - ive always preferred racing games that have a temporary "rewind" if you mess up a corner etc. We are only human after all and its a pain to waste a whole race if you make one tiny mistake, and especially on mobile where controls can be that little bit more challenging!

7. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    I honestly always thought that “rewind” buttons in racing games leave too much room to players for distraction :p I mean. It’s a race, you have to be focused, and every single error at high speed can compromise a whole perfect race.... just like in the real world. I used this very philosophy in mud rally, but there controlling car was way harder. So I tried to develop an extremely friendly control system, sacrificing part of the simulation factor for smooth control. We can say that, instead of giving the player the chance to rewind after a wrong turn, I am giving him controls that help him preventing that. If he misses the break point, well its up to him to recover. This anyway doesn’t exclude that future updates will include the rewind chance. It will all be a matter of the users base feedbacks in the first month of life.
    Multiplayer will come too. It is something already on the to-do list, right now it is meant to have only head-to-head races without other rivals.
    I will upload soon a teaser video of in game action, as Static pictures says almost nothing about the game. Hope you will like it :)

8. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    YouTube: video
    Okay, I am trying to attach the first video... but unlike anyother thread, I can't seem to figure out how to make it appear on the thread..:confused:
    Anyway, footages are from beta. This means some texture is just a placeholder and graphics overall is not yet polished, but it does make the idea of what the game is going to be :)
    Anyone guessing the track..?:p

9. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Melbourne - video looks lovely and smooth, lots of AI making mistakes as well I see

Is tilt the only option for control or will other options be available?

10. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Yepp, and here's the full list of tracks already featured in game:

-Melbourne
    -Bahrein
    -Shangai
    -Barcellona
    -Spa Francorchamps
    -Hungaroring
    -A1Ring
    -Silverstone
    -Monza
    -Montreal
    -Monaco
    -Hockenheim

And the ones in progress that will be also available on day 1:
    -Suzuka
    -Interlagos
    -AbuDabi
    -Singapore

In this video, I had some car having a really aggressive AI, in order to showcase how they can behave under "pressure conditions", that can happen for example, when on last lap the AI tries desperately to overtake you :)
    But their behaviour is still in beta: I will probably reduce their aggressiveness for the release...
    I will try to upload some other, better video soon. I hope to open Beta tests within 2 weeks :)

11. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Hello again! Been working really hard in the last week, the game will be available on Test Flight for beta test in some hour, everyone interested in testing can send me here or in pm his test flight address :)

12. zamakli

zamakli Member

May 20, 2018
    #12 zamakli, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    formula ios

There's a reason the Fast and Furious franchise does as well as it does. Racing is exciting. It's almost as if the need for speed is ingrained in our DNA.
    Tutuapp 9apps Aptoide

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looks great. What are the controls ? On screen buttons ?

14. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Currently there are two controls layout available:
    -steer with buttons
    -tilt steer
    In tilt steer mode brake occupies the left part of the screen, throttle the right part. In button steering the steering buttons are on the left, pedals on the right :)
    By the way, it’s time to add a new video of the incoming beta test. Compared to the one published there are already huge differences:
    -realistic engine sound
    -graphics improvements

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sounds great. Instant purchase from me !

16. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    All beta testers will get a promo code, in order to download the paid version of the game for free, as with all my releases :)

17. Zalayeta

Zalayeta New Member

May 22, 2018
    it looks really gr8, i will purchase it too :) i hope i can beta test it too^^

18. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Sure thing :) if you give me your email address I’ll add you to the beta list :)

19. Zalayeta

Zalayeta New Member

May 22, 2018
    done check your pm^^

20. CviGames

Jun 14, 2016
    Italy
    Thank you everyone , I’m receiving a lot of beta testing requires, it makes me feel I’m making a good job #
    A little update about the progress, as beta is not yet live. I am currently adding detection points and deploy points for every track, plus sectors for time gaps.
    Then, I should add some yacht in Monaco and we are good to go #

Gwarmaxx likes this.