TouchArcade - The Best New Games - (by TouchArcade.com, LLC)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Sanuku, May 8, 2012.

1. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Once the TouchArcade website itself gets the ability to wish-list an app (say, in the iTunes preview windows), I'll replace AppShopper with this app.

I'm loving the interface, though! It simply gleams of polish. =D

2. Cyacene

Cyacene Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Love the app and a great job. Just thought I would post my two requests for a future update.

I would love a iPad version

Forums need to be linked to the game that they are regarding. So if I go into upcoming iPhone games, and click nova 3, I should be able to add that game to my watched list or view the news articles that are related to it. This very post seems to have that functionality, so I'm hopefully it will come to the games section as well.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Ah, my mistake. I think I turned them on. LOL. I was thinking that stuff had to be on to get PM notifications. Or something. Not really sure. :) In any case thanks. I turned them back off. Hopefully you an get the PM notifications in there soonish.

4. multimage

multimage Well-Known Member

I admit I didn't like the app at first. But I kept exploring and now I'm totally hooked. Really great job!

Here's my nitpicking (mostly in the forums section):

Home button: Yes I know, press and hold, but that's not intuitive. I would prefer "Back", "Forums" and "Home"

Refresh: I logged in this morning and wanted to see if there was any changes in the thread I was currently in. Had to back and then click on the last page.

Horizontal keyboard: Huge fingers do not like vertical.

Signatures: I'm OK with signatures not showing in the app, but when I check posts I did in the app in my browser, signatures are not attached to my posts.

That's it! Love the app! Nice to see you guys listening to the comments too!

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, awesome app!!! :D

6. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    i see now about getting back to the home screen. i think that implementation is just fine, but i'd recommend adding that to the help/support menu.

alternatively, you know how the top bar in tweetbot can be clicked to bring up lists? what about something like that in this app that gives you a link to the home screen, and/or the list of menus in the home screen (a lot like the button on the top right while broswing the forums, but with links to news/reviews, top reviews, hot new games, watch list, forums). or hell, in that forum links menu, just put a link to the home screen.

as for most of the non-5-star reviews, while it might not matter since people can't read, why not put a line in the description that says you're working on universal support in a future update.

and as a side note, there are some hilarious reviews up there. one about it not being an all-in-one game app (see the 'people can't read' comment above). another about the app causing someone's dog to march like a nazi...which, despite the connection to nazism, is quite a feat for an app like this, and should certainly earn it more than one star.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Aside from showing threads with new posts in them (within a particular forum), I wish this had a "Participated" tab like in Tapatalk. It shows all the threads you've posted in, with ones with new posts in them at the top. I find that really handy and miss it in this app.

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming.

we're definitely taking notes and a lot of the suggestions are going to be implemented.

arn

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks for adding the new posts color update! One other suggestion is at the top of the thread to add a "jump to bottom" button (can be done maybe on the same line as the thread title) and a "jump to top" button at the bottom somewhere. These could just be a down/up arrows. This could be done on the webpage so the actual app doesn't need an update.

The newer-ish updated mobile neogaf forum has these buttons in the web page.

The private message menu seems to only let you send and read PM but doesn't seem to be able to let you delete...

Otherwise, the more I use the app the more I like it especially on the iPod touch screen and browsing the main TA website. The only real things left for me is adding the rest of the forum features that people use (ie: edit button, landscape mode, other people's suggestions...). Keep up the good work!

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    One thing which I think is a bug is that if you go to the last page, often times the page change buttons aren't at the top, only at the bottom. Then if I go back a page the page change buttons are at the top too.

11. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Arn, thank you for the feedback and explanations.

A useful feature would be a separate section in the watchlist for individual forum discussion threads. As it is now I either have to search or hunt through the forums for threads that I am watching or go back to my browser bookmarks. It could basically be an in-app bookmarking feature, that, like the forum section, indicates which of your watched threads have new comments.

Thanks!

12. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

This app has gotten me addicted. You guys did an awesome job!i

13. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Fantastic app. With video and images of the games, discussions, and everything else - you have created a game exploration and buying service many times better than the AppStore!

14. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Would be nice with a long-pull beyond the news/review to scroll to the next news/review item, like that used by Reeder.

15. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Shouln't the icon sidebar "Hot New Games" be renamed to "Game Buzz"?

After all, any game could in theory suddenly cause a lot of forum activity, not only new games. Unless you filter by age?

16. Daft Punk

Daft Punk Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Are replies to articles using your TA account on the app not supposed to work?

17. Thrak

Thrak Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I agree with everyone else. This app is great and will only get better. My thought on the top left button is that I don't necessarily want to go back to the home screen when I triple tap on it. I only want to go one level back - such as from page 2 on this thread up to the "iOS apps" subforum

18. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I must be in the minority here, but I still prefer to use Safari to view the site and forums. As nice as the app is, I just don't have any problems using Safari. I guess over the years I've become accustomed to my iPhone's touch screen and can make very precise taps on small text.

19. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    agreed some improvements to the forum can make me convert tho

20. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    There is a newness bias to the ranking.

arn