Universal Salt & Pepper: A Physics Game (appdore)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by iamcartez, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamcartez

iamcartez Well-Known Member

Salt & Pepper is a physics-based puzzle game. The goal is to draw a pathway for the salt and pepper to reach their bowls. When enough salt and pepper has reached their bowls, a star will appear. When all bowls have a star, the level is complete.

Release date will be May 29, 2014!

A few promo codes for the gamers that like these type of puzzle games.

AH6J7TNH34JN
    MXEX4LTM9XPN
    XXW97KXJPRT6
    PXL79WKFWP3P

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dacanadian

dacanadian Member

May 23, 2014
    XXW97KXJPRT6 taken :)
    I'll be back with some details

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thanks I was able to get a code.
    Anyways here are my first impressions. I suck at this game. The physics is not that great. The salt and pepper sometimes go straight through the bowl. At first I was worried that their was some sort of limited amount of salt and pepper in the first stage and that really stressed me out. I think you should maybe mention that. I don't know if it would defeat the purpose of the game but I would love to be able to undo a line or delete a line. So far this game is a pass for me unless you can at least make the salt/pepper to not go through the bowl. Is this a spin off of the sand games? I have not yet advanced enough to see how the concept evolves so that could be exciting. Maybe you could have a "hold your hands" type of first level for idiots like me.

4. iamcartez

#4 iamcartez, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback and I'll push an update for the bowls collision and work on adding more text to help people out during the first few levels. And even though it is not stated, if you continue to draw a line you can sort of erase your oldest lines... first lines drawn, first lines erased once you have created about 7 inches of line but to keep things simple I didn't state that lol...

Honestly I am not familiar with the sand games but halfway through this game I found a game called sugar,sugar and was like darn it... now I need to make more changes but then I played sugar,sugar and realized it was for the hardcore physics players o_o

5. dacanadian

dacanadian Member

May 23, 2014
    #5 dacanadian, May 24, 2014
    It is a neat little puzzle game, but it it still needs polish. The game requires you to guide the salt to the salt bowl and the pepper to the pepper bowl by drawing a line to guide the little flakes. The game does introduce obstacles the further you go into the levels, making you have second thoughts on what you should do. But I was never left stuck on a level because it is just too generous which shouldn't be the case for puzzle games IMO.

The gameplay is based on getting from point A to point B and getting from point C to point D. You have to get the salt to the salt bowl (white) and the pepper to the pepper bowl (black). You do not have to fill them at the same time — which I think should've been the right way to have done this — you can fill a bowl then move on to the other, which removes most of the challenge that this game should've had. Once one bowl is filled, a star would appear. It should have been that the player should've had to fill both of the bowls at the same time for the stars to appear.

It seems as if you have an infinite ability to draw lines, but you do not have an infinite ability of the length of the line. If you start to draw more lines, the previous lines begin to dissapear. This adds a bit of thought to your gameplay, but that is practically the only challenge.

The game has two minor bugs (one I an not sure if it is a bug or a feature). The sides of bowls do not register as part of the bowls. If you draw a path to a bowl and the salt or pepper hit the edge, then it would just fall right through. Another one is that if you draw a line continuously, it will eventually not let you draw a line anymore, leaving you to restart the level. If that is a bug then it should be a feature, and if it is a feature the tutorial should've warned you about it. There should be a percentage on screen of how much of the line you have left to draw.

Lastly, the game needs a better tutorial. It should have its own menu and it should highlight every feature that this game has.

Its nice relaxing puzzle game, but it lacks challenge and a few features. Even though it has well though out and clever obstacles (trust me, they do get rather rad the further you go), the game failed to give me the "how do I do this!" thoughts. In a recommendation scale I would give it a 3/5 in its CURRENT state. It is not bad, but it isn't great as well. It is a decent puzzle game that has the ability to become a great one. It seems like the dev is open to suggestions so this may change down the line.

6. iamcartez

I really appreciate you taking the time to do a quick review and I'll be getting to work right away. This type of feedback is one of the things I am missing in the small testing circle, real critiquing... I agree that the game is not as challenging as it should be however I didn't want to turn too many people away. I guess I need to find a balance.

7. dacanadian

dacanadian Member

May 23, 2014
    No problem :) glad to help
    I actually take back where I said there should be a limited ability to draw lines and adding a percentage of how much you have left, I do think that will actually draw an audience away now that I think of it. It'll probably just create an annoyance rather than a challenge since you can just restart the level.

I went back and did most of the levels with having to fill both bowls at the same time (still working on doing all though). It is possible for the most part, but I think it'll be nessesary to extend how much line the player can have on screen.

I also found another bug where if you draw a line, lift your finger, then start to draw another line, the two seperate lines link up. It some how doesn't register the player drawing a new line, rather continuing from the previous line.

8. iamcartez

I actually agree with the limited draw lines now. During the earlier levels players will probably only use a few inches of line but the harder levels, will require them to actually strategize and not be so random. The game does have a hard mode that is unlocked after completing the game so I may just use that mode for the limited draw line.

Also what device are you playing the game on as I am trying to replicate that bug on 3 devices but no luck.

Additional Promo Codes:

LKEPPHM9AKEL
    EJETRJPF7JMM
    LMJN7WYM3F74
    EWTELF4J3YX3
    MJKPTYMYM997
    YE4WATRWPNX3
    34XHHT7WETRK
    4LJ9F96LT73F
    FHAXFTERMP9H
    EFJ7N7FR9KWE

9. dacanadian

dacanadian Member

May 23, 2014
    #9 dacanadian, May 24, 2014
    I am on iPhone 5s iOS 7.1.1
    It is quite a rare bug. I've only experienced it twice so far. I am not sure how I got it to work either, I'll keep an eye out next time

And I would say an undo button would be appreciated ;) to undo the last line the player has drawn

10. TheBigBoots

TheBigBoots Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Producer / Co-Founder
    Portland, OR
    Thanks, I took EFJ7N7FR9KWE. Looks like a cool game. Thanks for the code.

11. iamcartez

Thank you! And I'll see what steps I can take for a potential undo button. My wife mentioned an undo button as well lol...

12. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    That sounds great!

13. dacanadian

dacanadian Member

May 23, 2014
    #13 dacanadian, May 24, 2014
    Yeah it really becomes a necessity when the cinnamon comes into play. Its irritating when misplacing a line lol. Hopefully you'll find a way to implement it

14. iamcartez

Half of the changes/improvements have been implemented. The tough one is the undo button as this will require a major change since I will need to save all of the coordinates during the line creations :eek:. It will likely be a 1.2 update though.

15. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks, nabbed YE4WATRWPNX3

16. dacanadian

dacanadian Member

May 23, 2014
    Cool! I could wait :) Mind posting a change log when you submit the updates?

17. iamcartez

Yes I can do that!

18. iamcartez

Besides the minor tweaking, the big stuff is here:

a. There are no time limits on any of the levels.

b. The draw path is no longer unlimited as many people told me that the unlimited drawing made the game... too easy.

c. The salt and pepper will stop falling after their bowls are filled on all devices. This helps with memory issues on older devices.

d. The side and bottom collisions on the bowls are better and no longer requires the salt and pepper to be dropped in the center.

e. The draw path will no longer create random lines when multi-touching or swiping across the screen 2 times faster than the line is created.

f. Up to 300 x/y coordinates are now saved in a table in preparation for a potential undo button.

g. Modified a few of the earlier levels to make them less frustrating.

h. Modified the bowl behaviors in Hard mode.

i. Level 1,2,3 is easier now for the beginners.

j. Level 1 is now more of a starter level as it shows more information and rules.

k. The achievements are easier to get as there is a four second grace period to allow the salt and pepper to start dropping.

Mid-June Update (so far):
    a. Added 6 more levels.

19. dacanadian

dacanadian Member

May 23, 2014
    Awesome! I'll keep my eye out for it