Universal Midnight Star - an epic sci-fi shooter in 2 apps

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewzrd, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #1 thewzrd, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    Hi, Tim here. I'm a developer on Midnight Star, a coming (very) soon game from Industrial Toys.

The game is an intense touch shooter with a huge narrative that we had to make 2 different apps to contain. You can get either of the apps or both and have some fun, but they work together in what we think are pretty interesting ways. Now that the game is in Closed Beta most of the main details are out there, I thought I'd start up a new thread to introduce it. Here's the rundown:

MIDNIGHT RISES (1st app - the graphic novel)

Launching a few weeks before Midnight Star is a graphic novel app that takes players on the pre-adventure of the main character, 2nd Lt. Charlie Campbell, as he gets ready to embark on the mission to investigate an alien signal (spoiler alert: the mission goes terribly). It's written by John Scalzi in his first comics outing and illustrated from top-to-bottom by former DC star Mike Choi.The "comic" is a fully interactive adventure, where readers will explore panels for texture about what Earth is like 120 years from now, make choices on Charlie's behalf that affect the story in the game and earn all sorts of in-game rewards from reading the story.

[​IMG]

MIDNIGHT STAR (2nd app - the game)

A shooter built from the ground up for mobile on Unreal Engine 3 with native touch controls, asynchronous multiplayer and community features woven into the experience in all sorts of cool ways.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some moar features:

[] Intense action - intelligent enemies, deep shooting mechanics, chain-sniping, multiple victory conditions
    [] "Self-service" story where you can get as into the narrative as you like-- or not
    [] Trophy system where rewards are achieved community-wide daily, weekly, monthly and for all-time
    [] EVERYTHING levels (you, the guns, the achievements, the rooms on the ship, everything)

There's a bunch more, and we're adding stuff everyday. We'll have info on the release timing really soon.

2. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    #2 geno11233, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Gameplay video? I'm not going to beat a dead horse and say it's a rail shooter like everyone, so I just want to see a recent gameplay video for myself.
    If not just explain the character movement.

3. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    I appreciate that, geno. We're working on video snippets right now, but have kept it close to get all of our effects and final art and all of that goodness nice and tight (that's a long-winded way of saying "coming soon" and I'll post it here when we start releasing footage).

For explanation, here's a good description on character movement from the first preview we did a little while ago:

"For the most part, you don’t directly control the movement of Morning Star’s hero Charlie Campbell. He moves through each bite-sized challenge (each of the game’s 28 levels is comprised of four 60-90 second chunks) on his own, similar to a rail shooter. But Midnight Star’s principal innovation is that enemy AI isn’t scripted - it reacts dynamically to your equipped weapon, how quickly or slowly their buddies have been taken out, and more. One playthrough they might run for cover, and the next they might charge directly at you.

You do have some control over where Charlie directs his attention via innovative threat markers on the left and right of the screen. These buttons indicate how many enemies are hiding (or have fled) off-screen, and how close they are to attacking. Tapping a threat button shifts the camera to point in that direction, creating a hybrid on/off-rails experience."

One of our key challenges is that the game is looking great and playing great, but simply watching a video feed of gameplay doesn't tell the input story. So we're experimenting with ways to get that across. That said, we WILL have it soon!

(I'm also happy to dive in on the above description)

4. Rough-Rider

Rough-Rider Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Looks interesting and original. I will definitely be watching this.

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
  6. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    Sounds interesting. Definatly can't be too quick to judge this game. From the older gamay videos it looks like it may be able to work out just fine ##

7. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    #7 thewzrd, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Actually, you can see a bit more gameplay in this: we just posted the 7th episode in the making-of documentary series on the game. This one is on the music (System of a Down's Serj Tankian is our composer). You can hear a bunch of his soundtrack for the game on this as well get some more shots of the game (please forgive the debug text on it!)

To check out earlier episodes of the series, go here:

Episode 1 - Industrial Toys
    Episode 2 - Going Mobile
    Episode 3 - Creating the Game
    Episode 4 - Story and Characters
    Episode 5 - Game Design
    Episode 6 - Engineering

8. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    Is there any sort of release date? And by four 90 second burst across 28 levels, does that mean it'll be 2-3 hour long game?

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, I want this... I want this in the worst way... Standing up in a hammock!

10. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    1) No release date just yet. We're in a Closed Beta and will be opening up the testing in the coming weeks, but won't be able to target a release date until we get a little further (I realize that's like saying "soon," but the good news is that it's playing great in the Beta and we're locking in on remaining bugs and shine).

2) It's designed to be infinitely replayable, but yes-- just the 1P Campaign, if you played it straight through without dying, would be several hours. However, because of the AI, everytime you play a map, it's different. And there are 5 different ways to play every map. And multiplayer challenges on your favorite maps, and... :)

Here's a shot of the "Encounter Summary" screen, where you get info on how you did along the top. The bottom tray you see there is scrollable horizontally and tells you where you are in relation to your friends or those you're following as well as where you are in the race for gold in a Challenge. You also get any Achievements you've earned and info on all of the stats you recorded.

[​IMG]

11. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    Sounds very intriguing #I assume you guys already have testers?

12. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    We do, and as you probably know, Apple only gives you so many spots for testers pre-launch, but if we get a few more, are you interested?

If so, here's a link to the Beta Tester application: LINK TO APPLICATION HUZZAH

The early talk on the game amongst the current tester crew is also going on here.

13. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Another quick look at what to expect from enemies. We've done a lot of work around trying to bring each class of badguy character to life. Even though we've designed our main baddies, The Dust, as vampiric carnivorous jerks, we tried to plug a bunch of less-evil, sometimes fun behavior into their minions, The Renfields. Here's a performance piece one of our animators did that became the template for the guys you'll see throughout the game:

[​IMG]

14. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    That's awesome!! Looks like a humorous side like In the rachet and clank games

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    They're like Halo Grunts :D

16. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013

17. thewzrd

Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love those games-- we didn't talk about that specifically, but good pull.

Now, you will have to get after those guys a lot (with gunz), but we've heard some feedback from testers that they end up loving the Renfields. I'll have to grab some soundbites for this thread. The same animator who did this piece did their voices and it's pretty funny stuff.

18. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    YOu've got a suuuper awesome composer!

19. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    I'll have just 1 question for this. Controller supported????

20. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    #20 geno11233, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    The way the game is made I will be Extremely surprised if they do.